Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Self Servicing the XF - Does anyone do it?

Post Thanks / Like

Self Servicing the XF - Does anyone do it?

In the past I've done my own servicing on a couple of other cars I've owned. I'm just wondering if anyone on here services their XF themselves? and wondering how easy or difficult the car is to service or whether this one is best left to a qualified mechanic or main dealer?

From what I can see the main service components on my 3.0 Diesel, are 6 litres of 5w30 C1 spec oil, oil filter, air / pollen filters, fuel filter and thats about it as far as I can see, have I missed anything? I've read up on the oil and see it can be done via sump or pump method, and a large socket required to remove the oil filter, 32mm if I recall right. I can't see the air or pollen filters being too much trouble, unless they are in a hard to get at location? So that leave's the fuel filter, which I'm unsure about on this car? Things like breaks and tires I'll sort at MOT time.

Am I overlooking anything, anyone else do it themselves?
    Last edited by Fraze; 14-04-17 at 21:21.

Post Thanks / Like
    As you say, nothing there a competent home mechanic couldn't cope with.

Post Thanks / Like
    I did all the servicing myself on both my XFS and XFR, as both were out of warranty when I bought them and the only dealer within 500 miles charges like a wounded bull.
    Oil, oil filters, air filters, fuel filter on the XFS (3.0D), pollen filters, brake rotors, brake pads, brake pad wear sensors, too many light globes to count etc etc.
    All of it was quite easy to do, and I'm just an enthusiastic but clumsy mug amateur!
    Just do your research to find the right parts at the right prices, and thoroughly check the service manual and forums like this one as to the correct method, then take your time and do it slow and steady.
    2014 F-Type S coupe, Lunar Grey, red seats and nearly all the options.
    The dearly departed - 2010 XFS and 2010 XFR.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fraze View Post
    In the past I've done my own servicing on a couple of other cars I've owned. I'm just wondering if anyone on here services their XF themselves? and wondering how easy or difficult the car is to service or whether this one is best left to a qualified mechanic or main dealer?

From what I can see the main service components on my 3.0 Diesel, are 6 litres of 5w30 C1 spec oil, oil filter, air / pollen filters, fuel filter and thats about it as far as I can see, have I missed anything? I've read up on the oil and see it can be done via sump or pump method, and a large socket required to remove the oil filter, 32mm if I recall right. I can't see the air or pollen filters being too much trouble, unless they are in a hard to get at location? So that leave's the fuel filter, which I'm unsure about on this car? Things like breaks and tires I'll sort at MOT time.

Am I overlooking anything, anyone else do it themselves?
    Don't own an XJ but as stated can't see that it would be that difficult

That said, the 05w30 oil can be expensive, I get my oil changed at National Tyres ( they use the correct grade and I've had around 10 oil changes done to date ) and for around £45 less qo% discount voucher, so around £40
    The air filter, fuel and pollen filter can be bought cheaply and done yourself, probably looking at around £80 all in max

Cheers
    Jim
    MY2008 ( 58 ) XJ X358 2.7 Tdvi Sovereign LWB remapped to 245bhp, Black, Ivory leather interior with black piping, 20" Alloys
    MY2009 ( 58 ) X type 2.2d Sport Premium, Heated seats, Front & Rear park assist, Sat Nav, 18" Proteus alloys, tinted rear windows, Heko wind deflectors

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JimC64 View Post
    Don't own an XJ but as stated can't see that it would be that difficult

That said, the 05w30 oil can be expensive, I get my oil changed at National Tyres ( they use the correct grade and I've had around 10 oil changes done to date ) and for around £45 less qo% discount voucher, so around £40
    The air filter, fuel and pollen filter can be bought cheaply and done yourself, probably looking at around £80 all in max

Cheers
    Jim
    Thanks yeah I've heard National Tyres do good deals on oil changes.

I've just had a check online and they quote £72.13 for and oil and filter change with a 10% off code, using TITAN GT1 PRO C-1 5W-30 oil, up to 7 litres. Not quite as cheap as I'd have hoped for but there maybe better discount codes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi, I have done my own servicing for the last 5 years, very easy to do, even the fuel filter, after you change the fuel filter you need to switch on the ignition for 10 seconds without starting the engine, and repeat this four times, this bleeds the system. I change the oil using a suction pump into the sump, the filter is located on the top of the engine in the rear of the "V", so you don't even need to lie on the floor to do it. Phil
    2008 XF Luxury 2.7D, Azure Blue/Dove Grey, Jaguar Voice, Mirror Pack, Winter Pack, DAB Radio, Keyless Entry, Owned from new.

7. Likes Jag75 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by philayl1 View Post
    Hi, I have done my own servicing for the last 5 years, very easy to do, even the fuel filter, after you change the fuel filter you need to switch on the ignition for 10 seconds without starting the engine, and repeat this four times, this bleeds the system. I change the oil using a suction pump into the sump, the filter is located on the top of the engine in the rear of the "V", so you don't even need to lie on the floor to do it. Phil
    Hi Phil, cheers that gives me a bit of confidence that I can do this, there's always that worry of breaking my shiny new Jaguar, but if I don't even need to get under the car then it seems a hassle free way to save on expensive services. I've just found an old DIY guide, and everything looks accessible from the engine bay so if I can get a pump and a 32mm socket to sort the filter, I will probably do it myself. Can you link or let me know the pump you use, or are they all pretty much the same, Sealy, Pella etc. Do you need a 6 litre or 7 litre? Also do you just tighten the oil filter socket by feel, or do you do it to a correct tollerance? What do you do about your service book stamps?

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Fraze, only the pollen filter is in the cabin (passengers side assuming RH drive, remove the cover under the glove box, just push fit clips) I can post on this if needed, I tighten by feel, I don't bother with service book stamps, just keep your receipts. See below for pump I use, they come in two capacities, I use the 6 litre one, you never get every last drop out but as I change mine twice or sometimes three times a year on an annual mileage of 8,000 it gets well flushed. You don't put your location, but if you are near to me I would be happy to do it with you. Phil
    p.s. Silverline no longer seem to do the 6 litre pump, the only one I can find is this one, it is dearer than I paid but looks much sturdier, at the present cost of servicing it would pay for itself after the first use.
    http://www.screwfix.com/p/oil-fluid-...tor-6ltr/21663
    2008 XF Luxury 2.7D, Azure Blue/Dove Grey, Jaguar Voice, Mirror Pack, Winter Pack, DAB Radio, Keyless Entry, Owned from new.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by philayl1 View Post
    Hi Fraze, only the pollen filter is in the cabin (passengers side assuming RH drive, remove the cover under the glove box, just push fit clips) I can post on this if needed, I tighten by feel, I don't bother with service book stamps, just keep your receipts. See below for pump I use, they come in two capacities, I use the 6 litre one, you never get every last drop out but as I change mine twice or sometimes three times a year on an annual mileage of 8,000 it gets well flushed. You don't put your location, but if you are near to me I would be happy to do it with you. Phil
    p.s. Silverline no longer seem to do the 6 litre pump, the only one I can find is this one, it is dearer than I paid but looks much sturdier, at the present cost of servicing it would pay for itself after the first use.
    http://www.screwfix.com/p/oil-fluid-...tor-6ltr/21663
    I'm over in Wakefield, Yorkshire, its a shame I'm not a wee bit closer as I'd take you up on that offer. I've never tried the pump method before but I'm sure it's self explanatory once you start having a go, I'd be looking to change the oil 2 or 3 times a year similar to yourself as it's just good for the car. The car odometer is currently at 70500 miles. According to the service book, it was last serviced at 64600 miles by Hatfields Jaguar 24th October 2016, service type A (oil is not ticked but I'd assume they'd always do an oil change in an A or B service). As there's no receipts or paperwork, other then the dealer service stamps, I'm thinking to fully service it just as a bit safety net. Will have a look around to see if I can source the parts needed at reasonable cost, euro car parts always seem to have deals on and that pump looks like it would do the job. I've found a guide on the pollen filter, it looks easy enough. Cheers for your advice, I'm now confident I should be able to handle this. I guess my only reservation is the oil filter, I've heard the seal ring can get damaged easily when it's inserted back in, recommendation seems to be oiling it a bit. I think the car needs restarting a few times without starting the engine to purge the fuel filter.

Do you need 7 litres of oil Phil?
    Last edited by Fraze; 15-04-17 at 10:17.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fraze View Post
    I'm over in Wakefield, Yorkshire, its a shame I'm not a wee bit closer as I'd take you up on that offer. I've never tried the pump method before but I'm sure it's self explanatory once you start having a go, I'd be looking to change the oil 2 or 3 times a year similar to yourself as it's just good for the car. The car odometer is currently at 70500 miles. According to the service book, it was last serviced at 64600 miles by Hatfields Jaguar 24th October 2016, service type A (oil is not ticked but I'd assume they'd always do an oil change in an A or B service). As there's no receipts or paperwork, other then the dealer service stamps, I'm thinking to fully service it just as a bit safety net. Will have a look around to see if I can source the parts needed at reasonable cost, euro car parts always seem to have deals on and that pump looks like it would do the job. I've found a guide on the pollen filter, it looks easy enough. Cheers for your advice, I'm now confident I should be able to handle this. I guess my only reservation is the oil filter, I've heard the seal ring can get damaged easily when it's inserted back in, recommendation seems to be oiling it a bit. I think the car needs restarting a few times without starting the engine to purge the fuel filter.

Do you need 7 litres of oil Phil?
    Hi, see post #6. Phil

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast