Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 88

Thread: It's A Crime

  1. #41
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Gosport Hampshire
    Posts
    178
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hydrajaws View Post
    They would have to find it first and then prove that it was actually being used. Not an easy task if it is well placed behind the grill and invisible.
    Where can i get me one of those????????

  2. #42
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    220
    Post Thanks / Like
    E Bay is a good start. Make sure it's a jammer and not a radar detector.
    2017 F Pace 2.0 AWD PORTFOLIO Odyssey red,Latte ,privacy glass all round,space saver, USA size plates. 2006 4.2 XK Convertable. 1965 Daimler2.5 V8 Saloon.

  3. #43
    Senior Member payno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    birmingham
    Posts
    3,016
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hydrajaws View Post
    They would have to find it first and then prove that it was actually being used. Not an easy task if it is well placed behind the grill and invisible.
    it not to hard for the police to work out its there here is a quote from a solicitor who has first hand knowledge of how easy it is to caught out



    "I represented a client who was travelling at a speed modestly in excess of the speed limit. He approached a Traffic Officer deploying a laser device to check his speed, and on each occasion he attempted to do so the device showed “error”.
    The Officer was sure something was stopping the device from registering the speed, although it did perform its normal function of recording the vehicle. The video enabled the speed of the vehicle to be checked, by working out how long it took to pass fixed points. It was easy to see the vehicle was speeding.
    In this instance the police obtained a search warrant and attended my client’s home to search his vehicle. That revealed a device fitted behind the front number plate and a police expert was able to deconstruct it and demonstrate its ability to diffuse the laser beam from the speed gun.
    My client was charged with perverting the course of justice and his case moved swiftly from the Magistrates to the Crown Court."

    the police know how there equipment works and what you can fit to your car to stop it you not just risking your licence you are risking a few weeks in gaol


    quote from here > http://www.motorists-lawyer.co.uk/bl...d_the_law.html
    S TYPE R 2003
    BMW M3 EVOLUTION 1998
    You can not beat me in a argument
    I am too stupid to know when I am beaten

  4. Likes Lost it liked this post
  5. #44
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    220
    Post Thanks / Like
    A good point made here is that the majority of operatives sitting in "speed awareness camera vans" are civilians and not police officers so bouncing their signal back as unreadable is technically not an offence of perverting the course of justice.It is very interesting that Nottingham camera vans are liveried as POLICE vehicles but are not operated by Police.
    Perhaps our legal contributors would like to give a ruling on how legal this is if challenged.
    2017 F Pace 2.0 AWD PORTFOLIO Odyssey red,Latte ,privacy glass all round,space saver, USA size plates. 2006 4.2 XK Convertable. 1965 Daimler2.5 V8 Saloon.

  6. #45
    Senior Member Lost it's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Hayling Island
    Posts
    5,507
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'd also like to know, after seeing it yesterday, how come speed camera vans can now operate on Motorways whilst parked at the side of the road. It's a Clearway isn't it?
    2001 3.0 SE Auto, Satnav, winter pack. Dark Blue, all the toys... 128,000 and counting, need to sell it but it's too nice...
    2004 3.0 Sovereign Estate. Winter pack. Fixed. For Sale...
    2005 Estate X type 2.2 Sport.
    2000 V8 3.2 XJ8 LWB. "Prom" car. Lovely.
    2005 "AllyCat", 3.0 XJ6 SE.
    2000 S type 4.0 V8. Latest toy.
    VFR800A too for when the suns out. NT650V for work.

    Still beating cancer.

    Sure I took the Red pill....

  7. #46
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    South Bucks
    Posts
    777
    Post Thanks / Like
    Any speeding law enforcement that doesn't have the effect of reducing vehicle speeds is just a money collecting exercise.

    That is, the presence of a speed camera sometimes results in lower speeds on the road in question. If so it is good law enforcement and not just about the money. If the camera doesn't result in lower general speeds but gathers considerable money in fines it is the wrong solution and the council/road authority needs to replace the camera with something that reduces speeds.

    The current legislation allows local councils to set speed limits, except on motorways, a bad idea where major roads are concerned because they don't have to show justification and are not accountable except to their voters, many who use the road will not be local voters. As a result we see fast roads, designed to be fast roads, with low speed limits because the council wants to win votes. I can mention a number of examples where speed limits have been reduced to make junctions safer. A far better solution would be to redesign the junction to make it inherently safe but a speed camera is a revenue earner and a safe junction costs money.

    I am not suggesting that safety shouldn't be a consideration, I am suggesting that investment in good road design would be a far better use of the money and would cut pollution by allowing vehicles to move at efficient speeds. Remember a SLOW marking on the road identifies a location where a serious injury was incurred, in my opinion it should be a temporary expedient while the road is being redesigned to reduce the risks. If a redesign isn't possible or practical then we need a new road sign to warn road users of the dangers.

    I can see absolutely no reason why the addition of a window should allow a vehicle to be driven at a different speed from one without the window.

  8. #47
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Lost in Essex
    Posts
    525
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bluechem I would contest it ,if lorry you were passing speeded up you must have increased your speed to complete your manoeuvre safely , some times you have to go faster to be safe , but only to avoid danger .

  9. #48
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Norfolk
    Posts
    744
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Monty0137 View Post
    Bluechem I would contest it ,if lorry you were passing speeded up you must have increased your speed to complete your manoeuvre safely , some times you have to go faster to be safe , but only to avoid danger .
    Thanks Monty, but I can see a loss there. There may be mitigating circumstances but in the end, even though it seems unfair in this particular instance, I was faster than the allowed limit. As I have/had the miracle of a clean licence, it is easier to take the points and fine this time, tempting though it seems to fight my corner. They would say, "If it was not safe to overtake within the speed limit, I should not have made the mistake of overtaking. And if the lorry sped up should have dropped back".
    XF 3.0 D Luxury 2010. And no, chemical fixes can be handy, but do not replace technicians.

  10. #49
    Senior Member Lost it's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Hayling Island
    Posts
    5,507
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
    Any speeding law enforcement that doesn't have the effect of reducing vehicle speeds is just a money collecting exercise.

    That is, the presence of a speed camera sometimes results in lower speeds on the road in question. If so it is good law enforcement and not just about the money. If the camera doesn't result in lower general speeds but gathers considerable money in fines it is the wrong solution and the council/road authority needs to replace the camera with something that reduces speeds.

    The current legislation allows local councils to set speed limits, except on motorways, a bad idea where major roads are concerned because they don't have to show justification and are not accountable except to their voters, many who use the road will not be local voters. As a result we see fast roads, designed to be fast roads, with low speed limits because the council wants to win votes. I can mention a number of examples where speed limits have been reduced to make junctions safer. A far better solution would be to redesign the junction to make it inherently safe but a speed camera is a revenue earner and a safe junction costs money.

    I am not suggesting that safety shouldn't be a consideration, I am suggesting that investment in good road design would be a far better use of the money and would cut pollution by allowing vehicles to move at efficient speeds. Remember a SLOW marking on the road identifies a location where a serious injury was incurred, in my opinion it should be a temporary expedient while the road is being redesigned to reduce the risks. If a redesign isn't possible or practical then we need a new road sign to warn road users of the dangers.

    I can see absolutely no reason why the addition of a window should allow a vehicle to be driven at a different speed from one without the window.
    Three things. The Government has called an election. The fines go to the government. I have seen more scamera vans on the A3 in the last 2 weeks than I think I have ever seen. The A3 doesn't have vast numbers of accidents. It's a cynical cash raising excercise.
    2001 3.0 SE Auto, Satnav, winter pack. Dark Blue, all the toys... 128,000 and counting, need to sell it but it's too nice...
    2004 3.0 Sovereign Estate. Winter pack. Fixed. For Sale...
    2005 Estate X type 2.2 Sport.
    2000 V8 3.2 XJ8 LWB. "Prom" car. Lovely.
    2005 "AllyCat", 3.0 XJ6 SE.
    2000 S type 4.0 V8. Latest toy.
    VFR800A too for when the suns out. NT650V for work.

    Still beating cancer.

    Sure I took the Red pill....

  11. #50
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Lost in Essex
    Posts
    525
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's always a question what is safe, the person at the controls or the one with the rose tinted glasses

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •