Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: XJ to volvo S90?

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the update Jasz and hope all goes well with the Volvo.
    I am not planning to trade in the XJ for about 4 years, so who knows what motoring will be like then. I'm not fancying an electric car yet!
    2012 XJ 3.0d Portfolio LWB.( 8 speed)

Post Thanks / Like
    I've had the s90 3 days now and it's a mixed blessing . The ride and handling aren't up to the XJ .The power is more peaky than the v8 ( no surprise there) but similar to the supercharged v6.
    The adaptive cruise and pilot assist are the big improvement . They really are excellent without the glitches I've read about with the Jag adaptive.
    However the s90 computer system is fairly difficult to set up although easy to operate.. I don't think it can compete with the XJ but is a step up on the XF and well above the XE.
    I am hoping to get another Jag next time if they get the I -pace out. Otherwise the Tesla is very well executed with full air suspension too.

3. Thanks seagull thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well hers an update after 8 months. I am back.Although the s90 has all the electronic whizzes including pilot assist it IS NOT a patch on the XJ.
    I tried to get over the noise wooden feel and poor air suspension but couldn’t get there. The dealer and importer spent 6 months trying to get it right.
    ive found a xjl portfolio from a cancelled export order here in NZ.Its brand new but a 2015 model thus doesn’t have the new headlights and taillights.It should be ready for pickup next week and I am looking forward to it.
    A few things I’ve learned
    1) the brave new world of electronics comes at the price of driving pleasure
    2):The software is being updated all the time with the same problems as my iphone
    3)The new cars rely on the internet which can be very patchy particularly on intercity trips in NZ. Although the s90 had a Bowers and Wilkins 1400 w systemI was stuck with Spotify or USB.OH for a CD player!!
    4) Not all air suspension is the same.My old x351 would go over speed bumps at 30 mph. The Volvo with airsuspension and adaptive suspension struggled over 20 mph
    5) Silence is golden.The Volvo is designed for autobahn. On coarse chip it just roars(and not in a good way)the xj was a revelation on the test drive,just as I remembered the 2010 xj. Composed and quiet.
    I’m getting the LWB with the 3 litres petrol. The are tweeking to 280 kw so it should be comparable to my old v8.

Post Thanks / Like
    Most of us come back eventually. Enjoy your new Jag'.
    Train hard, fight easy.

Black on Ivory 5.0 Stratstone 'Le Mans' special edition XFR.

Post Thanks / Like
    I picked up the xjl today.The dealer upgraded the ecu and wired the led for DRL.
    The car has no miles so we went for 50 mile drive today . Even now on new tyres it is a different world to the Volvo.We are heading off on a 500 k (300 mile) trip tomorrow so that should get the engine and tyres bedded.
    As it has dual view my wife is looking forward to watching a DVD or tv on the trip.
    I was surprised the car doesn’t have blind spot or adaptive but they don’t seem to be standard on portfolios even though they are on Suzuki swifts!
    A friend was saying yesterday his old xjr was like a good pair of slippers.For me it’s like meeting an old friend.
    Ill update soon.

7. Likes t0m4ever liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Enjoy your car, adaptive and blind spot was still options at the time. I have had my 2001 XJL 3.0 diesel from new, still really thrilled with it and now on 83000 miles, I also have 2004 Super V8 , that has racked up 170000 miles now but I still love it.
    A bit costly at times but I tell myself that by spending on it I still have the car that I really love, there is not much out there that I could trade it for, except one of the last Super V8's possibly.
    Previous Jaguars : 1985 4.2 Sov, 1988 3.6 Sov, 1990 4.0 Sov, 1994 3.2 Sov, 1998 4.0 Sov lwb, 2000 4.0 Sov lwb.2003 XJ 350 3.5se
    Current cars : 2011 XJL 3.0 Luxury, 2004 Xj Super V8 SWB, 2008 Transit ( my work van ), 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland

Post Thanks / Like
    Now done about 500 miles in the new xj.Boy ,what an improvement over the Volvo s90.
    The ride and handling are worlds apart.As an example I couldn’t understand why the Volvo with airsuspension was struggling to do 20 mph over a series of local bumps.i was sure my old xj could do them faster.the new car doesn’t even notice them at 30 mph.The supercharged growl , the nuanced braking and the point and shoot handling. It’s very addictive.
    I got the Volvo for car play ,semi autonomous driving ,blind spot etc and adaptive cruise.although I still like those things the software problems I don’t. However if you want to drive a car then the Volvo is closest to a Mazda and the Jaguar is a different animal.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12