Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: XJ to volvo S90?

Post Thanks / Like

XJ to volvo S90?

Still looking for Xj replacement.tried the Fpace but find the suspension hard after the XJ.the new XJ is good but I find it a bit big and my wife can't stand the XF. The dealer showed me a S90 AWD T6 which has all the fruit and air suspension. Handling is a little wooden but otherwise very nice.
    Comments anyone?

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know , when you get off that treadmill of updating every couple of years I am beginning to think that very often
    what you purchase is inferior to what you have gotten rid of . I am 53 with no kids and I look around the current Jaguar
    Range and see little of any interest , am I stuck in the past ? quite possibly . I have also started to dread all this new
    Technology and doubt both its relevance and its longevity , time and time again I see otherwise serviceable cars beyond
    Economic Repair on account of some failed ECU or other Gizmo , its like a shelf life is built in to everything and a car goes
    from a thing of Pride and Beauty to no more than a four wheeled Vaccum Cleaner .
    I looked at Ebay earlier and the amount of absolute bargains to be had on there amongst X350 Jaguars in particular is simply
    astounding , some with only one owner and well under 50,000 miles for between £6000 and £7000 and in immaculate condition.
    I appreciate I have been no help to you whatsoever but this is where my next Jaguar will come from and it will be depreciation
    free motoring as well as the pleasure of driving something which will become increasingly rare and sought after as time goes on.
    I am interested in finding out if it is possible to replicate an XJ ride with an SUV , I don't believe that you can , as you have tried
    both the Volvo and the F Pace the only two others I would try is the New Discovery and the Porsche Macan though its the latter
    I would be really hankering after.

3. Likes #steve liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I like the look of the Volvo S90 and I understand it is meant to be exceedingly comfortable.
    I have only recently acquired my XJ Portflio LWB and am enjoying that, but I reckon I will have a serious look at the Volvo next time round....in my advancing years ,I like the thought of those highly praised seats and a car that it not quite so large as the XJ.
    Would be interested to hear your views if you go on a test drive.
    2012 XJ 3.0d Portfolio LWB.( 8 speed)

Post Thanks / Like
    I was very impressed with my previous car a 2012 BMW 5 series 2.0 D M Sport (F10) as it drove and handled in my opinion similar to the 2006 Jaguar X350 Sovereign I had 4 years ago. The reasons I sold it was it had the dreaded N47 engine (potential timing chain problems). It was a diesel which I was also worried about this Diesel Tax I have heard about, so thinking that the car could loose me a lot of value in deprecation especially as the newer model was due out cut my losses after less than a year of ownership and sold it to buy my 2007 XK, which I hope will hold it's value better. I probably would have kept the BM if I went for a petrol car but as I now have my fabulous XK, which I have wanted for a long time it turned out well for me even though it's a step back in the cars age.
    I have owned 35 cars in my time which range from a Mini, 2CV,l Land Rover etc. to a Jaguar XJ a Porsche and many Mercedes. My current car is a 2007 Jaguar XK which is my third Jag and also have a 2009 Mitsubishi Colt as a little run around.

Post Thanks / Like
    Reggie

just noticed you had a 2cv I had 3 one yellow with no floor lol one white and lastly a Dolly cream and navy although still want a Charleston in black and burgundy .

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Googsy

My 2CV was only a year old, a 1983 example in bright red. I purchased the car on looks alone I think as I considered it a bit trendy at the time. I could not believe it when I attempted a motorway journey on a breezy day, it was lethal and the tops of the doors shakes so much you could see daylight around the window frames. It was tricky to open the bonnet as well in windy conditions as the wind catches it like a upside down sale and looks like it could twist off.
    I soon fell out of favour with my Citroen so gave it a good clean, polish and sold it after 6 weeks of ownership and made £100 profit or thereabouts.
    So sorry not a 2CV fan, I think I expected too much from it.
    I have owned 35 cars in my time which range from a Mini, 2CV,l Land Rover etc. to a Jaguar XJ a Porsche and many Mercedes. My current car is a 2007 Jaguar XK which is my third Jag and also have a 2009 Mitsubishi Colt as a little run around.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you're after a nice SUV and depending on your budget, have you considered a look at the new RR Velar? The styling looks great and the interior is the best in the range too.
    Current Car:
    2017 XE R-Sport 25t 250Ps 18MY.

Previous Cars:
    2000 S-Type 3.0L SE Auto
    2004 X-Type 3.0L AWD SE Auto estate.
    2007 XK x150 4.2L Coupe

Resident Super Moderator.
    V6 X-Type Oil Sump Replacement Guide

Post Thanks / Like
    Well I got the s90 and traded the xj.The xj was a fantastic car and had only done 25000 miles but was nearly 7 years old.I tried all the Jags but couldn't find a good one with all the kit short of a new XJ.
    The s90 T6 has similar power to the jag 3.0 but it is 2 litre and you notice it after the v8.nothing I've been in can come close to the XJ for ride . I have the s90 with air suspension and all the dynamic doodads but it still dives over bumps( like the XF and space)
    The stereo is the bowers and Wilkins 1400w with subwoofer and is better than the xj and the adaptive cruise and pilot assist are great. I have heard the Jag systems are a bit dodgy but I didn't have it on mine.
    In summary I think the s90 is better than the XF ,XE or F Pace but can't match the XJ.I was going to wait for the velar but I really wanted a sedan .The systems on the Volvo aren't as intuitive as the Jag and their manuals are hopeless.this means about 3-4 hours training with dealers but then again there are a lot of features given I have the tft centre and driver screen with heads up display.
    The only odd feature on the Xj is that they haven't updated the screens as in Fpace and XF so it's with car play tethering etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well congratulations Jas , I hope it works out for you with the Volvo . I was only reading the other day that Jaguar
    on account of slipping sales and the boom in the SUV market may not bother to replace the current XJ when production
    ends , this was in an American Publication so I can't vouch for its veracity but given the lack of replacement for the XK
    it may turn out to be an accurate prediction.

Post Thanks / Like
    Only 311 XJ's were sold last month compared to 2,879 F-Pace, from a total of 9,484 March sales. There is a concept due next year, so we shall see then.
    Current Car:
    2017 XE R-Sport 25t 250Ps 18MY.

Previous Cars:
    2000 S-Type 3.0L SE Auto
    2004 X-Type 3.0L AWD SE Auto estate.
    2007 XK x150 4.2L Coupe

Resident Super Moderator.
    V6 X-Type Oil Sump Replacement Guide

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast