Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rear wishbone bolt washers

Post Thanks / Like

Rear wishbone bolt washers

I am going to be replacing the wishbone tie (and maybe pendulum) bushes through which the long bolt is fixed.

I've just been under the car and I appear to have no washers at all at the bolt head end - that is, the bolt head f1ange presses directly against the protrusion on the bush. I have looked on the parts diagrams and various pictures and even have the workshop manual but nothing indicates exactly which way round the various washers go.

I think I have worked out that the wishbone tie bush has a two-piece metal/nylon washer either side, and that the bolt head faces the metal of the washer. Therefore, the nylon side of that faces the bush. Moving along the bolt, at the other side of the bush is another metal/nylon washer but I can't see which way round it goes, though based on the previous one I suppose that would also have the nylon facing the bush and the metal side facing the wishbone.
    Next, at the pendulum end of things, the diagram appears to specifiy a differnet type of washer (all-metal?) between the wishbone and pendulum bush. Is that correct? Why would that end not have the same metal/nylon washer as the other end? Anyway I suppose 'why' is irrelevant, rather the question is whether that all metal washer is indeed correct. Then the other side of that bush is the bolt thread over which a small thick washer and finally the nut is tightened.

Is what I have said correct? Does anyone have a picture clearly showing these things along the length of the bolt?

Having quickly checked mine I can see the two metal/nylon washers I think I need (but in wrong places) but not the metal washer between the wishbone and pendulum.

Also can someone confirm the final tightening of this bolt should be done with the car properly on the ground so the bush doesn't tear?

thanks
    Last edited by Bumbazor; 20-04-17 at 21:20.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi,

To be honest I havent done this BUT the long bolt is the Fulcrum bolt and it has a offset head to what I can gather this is what alters the toe in/out as in rear tracking. The same is for the front Fulcrum bolt. Some one on here will be along to advise you mate. The washers HAVE to go back in exactly the same way/order or your going to lose tracking and possibly affect the cats handling and stability and you will chew the rear tyres up in no time at all mate. I had a look on youtube some time ago and although it is a xk8 you will get the gist.

I do hope this helps.

Lance

https://m.youtube.com/?gl=GB&hl=en-G...?v=YuUy5oFSF0c
    1998 Jaguar XJ8 4L LWB in Jaguar Tudor White, Huggy
    1999 Jaguar XJ8 4L LWB in Jaguar Tudor White, Celeste
    Above all, Have Fun

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Lance, I'm in Worksop too!

I do know about that bolt you mention but that's the hub pivot bolt and does indeed adjust toe. But the bolt I'm talking about is the other one at the other end of the wishbone and has no adjustment.

As for worn tyres - this is the whole reason I'm doing this. I put lowering springs (not by much, certianly not slammed) on years ago and have only just got round to adjusting camber to avoid another set of prematurely worn inside edges, and have made my own spacers to do this. I can get exactly the right thickness on my lathe and not have to pay stupid prices at the dealer. So being already under the car I gave the cursory glance and found these wishbone tie bushes worn, hence why I'm replacing them. I'm glad I did, the rubber was quite in a bad state and almost completely separated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe you could sell me some spacers to go on the drive shaft ?

Prity please

Well I might only need 1.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy K View Post
    Maybe you could sell me some spacers to go on the drive shaft ? Prity please Well I might only need 1.
    Is that to adjust the rear camber? I've been thinking that my car has a bit too much negative camber at the rear and as far as I can see that must be adjusted with shims on the drive shafts. Requires some calculation / guesswork to determine required shim thickness, however.

Post Thanks / Like
    yes it is adjust with shims on the driveshaft.

Why don't you get a free alignment check done to see whether it is out of spec.
    XJR 2001 Pacific Blue
    Range Rover Sport 2005 Red 2.7 TD

Post Thanks / Like

This is what mine is like in the middle of the car.
    Can't guarantee it left the factory like this though.

I have 4mm shims on my car.

8. Thanks Bumbazor thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Andy - I worked out that much from diagrams and other pics. Can you confirm what's on the other sides of those bushes - the sides that face the wishbone?

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think I can as there is metalwork in the way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, well I think based on that and the diagrams I think I can work it out, seems like a single metal washer between wishbone and bush at the thread end, and a metal/nylon washer between wishbone and bush at the head end.
    If that's correct then I'm missing both single metal washers - part CAC8979.

As I currently have half the exhaust, all wheels, and the wishbone tie off the car with no chance of finding some in stock before Monday I'll have to make some washers up. Thankfully it's just the metal washers I'm missing then.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast