Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: Bulbs...

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    418
    Post Thanks / Like

    Bulbs...

    A few have blown in my passenger side light fitting. Side light and headlight.

    Halfords is suggesting D1S 85402 HID, which is their own brand (no doubt made by someone else) for £60. Does anyone have any suggestions for alternatives & websites before I peruse the world wide web?
    2002 Ford Mondeo 2.0 TdCI Blue
    2006 Jaguar XK (Aluminium) 4.2 Indigo Metallic

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    418
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well, I've already found I can get two headlights for £30 on Amazon. :')
    2002 Ford Mondeo 2.0 TdCI Blue
    2006 Jaguar XK (Aluminium) 4.2 Indigo Metallic

  3. #3
    Senior Member 65mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    hertfordshire
    Posts
    316
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi all.
    Thomas have you tried https://www.powerbulbs.com or http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk have used both off these before and have been good at reasonable prices, £ 30.00 sounds cheap very cheap to me are they a well known brand or far eastern cheap items.
    (Please note i do not have anything to do with the two motion company's i have just used them in the past and found them very good.)
    65mike.
    Jaguar 2007 XK 4.2 Silver 20inch Senta wheels 2008 spec car.
    Former Jaguar 2005 x-type 3.0 with Arden exhaust.
    Ah the joys of jaguar motoring !!!!!

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    418
    Post Thanks / Like
    It doesn't say who the brand is. I was thinking that car bulbs are pretty much like house light bulbs. They all last a similar amount of time despite who manufactures them.

    They're probably all manufactured in the Far-East anyway, no?
    2002 Ford Mondeo 2.0 TdCI Blue
    2006 Jaguar XK (Aluminium) 4.2 Indigo Metallic

  5. #5
    Senior Member Neilr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    2,194
    Post Thanks / Like
    Osram and Philips are the market leaders in automotive bulbs and one or the other was most probably OE. Not much point not buying one or the other unless you are willing to do some research to find some other brand that is actually as good and you rarely find better.
    S-Type 3.0 Manual MY2001 in Pacific Blue with Cashmere Leather Sport Seats, Sunroof, Melbourne Alloys, Premium Sound plus some other stuff ... 51k miles.
    XKR 5.0 Speed Pack MY2011 in Polaris White with Ivory/Charcoal Leather, Nevis Alloys and R-Performance Interior plus some other stuff ... 14k miles.
    FIAT Coupe MY1997 in Steel Grey with Tan Leather ... 51k miles.

  6. #6
    Senior Member 8bit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Aberdeen
    Posts
    1,563
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just a thought - are you sure the bulbs are actually blown? There's a known issue which seems to affect the driver's side more often, in that the earthing point which the O/S/F cluster and the side repeater connect to is located in that wheel arch and can go bad due to corrosion. This tends to manifest itself with some/most bulbs in that cluster failing to operate and the indicators flashing rapidly on that side. I can't check the wiring diagram to see earthing points for the N/S/F lights but I'd be surprised if there wasn't a corresponding earth point in the N/S/F wheel arch serving these.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    418
    Post Thanks / Like
    Indicator is working, and I have main beam, but I do not have dipped or sidelights. Still, it is worth me having a butchers. Where exactly is the earth located?

    Quote Originally Posted by 8bit View Post
    Just a thought - are you sure the bulbs are actually blown? There's a known issue which seems to affect the driver's side more often, in that the earthing point which the O/S/F cluster and the side repeater connect to is located in that wheel arch and can go bad due to corrosion. This tends to manifest itself with some/most bulbs in that cluster failing to operate and the indicators flashing rapidly on that side. I can't check the wiring diagram to see earthing points for the N/S/F lights but I'd be surprised if there wasn't a corresponding earth point in the N/S/F wheel arch serving these.
    2002 Ford Mondeo 2.0 TdCI Blue
    2006 Jaguar XK (Aluminium) 4.2 Indigo Metallic

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    418
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was thinking I would buy & fit two bulbs. It is probably better to have both the same age IMO.

    Quote Originally Posted by Neilr View Post
    Osram and Philips are the market leaders in automotive bulbs and one or the other was most probably OE. Not much point not buying one or the other unless you are willing to do some research to find some other brand that is actually as good and you rarely find better.
    2002 Ford Mondeo 2.0 TdCI Blue
    2006 Jaguar XK (Aluminium) 4.2 Indigo Metallic

  9. #9
    Senior Member Neilr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    2,194
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Hayward View Post
    I was thinking I would buy & fit two bulbs. It is probably better to have both the same age IMO.
    That is what I do and leave the old one as a spare for emergencies. I have a box full of old halogen bulbs

    There are high-output Xenons too, and reviews have been very positive.
    S-Type 3.0 Manual MY2001 in Pacific Blue with Cashmere Leather Sport Seats, Sunroof, Melbourne Alloys, Premium Sound plus some other stuff ... 51k miles.
    XKR 5.0 Speed Pack MY2011 in Polaris White with Ivory/Charcoal Leather, Nevis Alloys and R-Performance Interior plus some other stuff ... 14k miles.
    FIAT Coupe MY1997 in Steel Grey with Tan Leather ... 51k miles.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    418
    Post Thanks / Like
    I believe mine are Xenon.

    Quote Originally Posted by Neilr View Post
    That is what I do and leave the old one as a spare for emergencies. I have a box full of old halogen bulbs

    There are high-output Xenons too, and reviews have been very positive.
    2002 Ford Mondeo 2.0 TdCI Blue
    2006 Jaguar XK (Aluminium) 4.2 Indigo Metallic

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •