Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Park brake fault"

Post Thanks / Like

"Park brake fault"

Good morning folks. Looking for some advice re the above message which came up yesterday in the middle of a 30 mile trip in my 59 reg 3 ltr D ( 28k miles). I ignored the message till I got home and then tried the "hand" brake and found it worked fine. Then switched off the ignition and restarted-no message. Same this morning-no message and brake works as it should. I've found a thread from 2014 talking about a problem caused by wiring becoming exposed after chafing of the cable on the "differential carrier" but that caused the park brake not to work at all-not wht I've got.

Any body got any ideas before I get it checked out? The battery is a recent replacement and no other signs of a battery fault so don't think a duff battery is the cause.

Thanks

Keith

Post Thanks / Like
    I got a "park brake fault" message once (and only once) back in April last year. I turned the engine off and on again and have never seen it since. I also from time to time, get a warning as I get in the car that the gearbox isn't in park, when I know it is. I employ the same tactic as I do when the wife or either of the kids have a moan at me about something - just ignore it and the problem goes away, unless it gets more persistent, then I'll whack it with a spanner...
    Black XF SV8 with ivory innards and a big smile on the driver's face..

Post Thanks / Like
    You can't go round whacking women and kids with a spanner. Hasn't anybody told Social Services?

Post Thanks / Like
    I know. What's the world coming to?

Now, when I were a lad...
    Black XF SV8 with ivory innards and a big smile on the driver's face..

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd just ignore it and see if it gets more persistent. Phil
    2008 XF Luxury 2.7D, Azure Blue/Dove Grey, Jaguar Voice, Mirror Pack, Winter Pack, DAB Radio, Keyless Entry, Owned from new.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the replies. I think I'll get it put on the ramp at a local repairer I've known for years (back to when cars were simpler and you didn't need a computer to fix 'em) and see if there is a problem with the wiring rubbing and take it from there. It might be a timely warning!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by KJB View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I think I'll get it put on the ramp at a local repairer I've known for years (back to when cars were simpler and you didn't need a computer to fix 'em) and see if there is a problem with the wiring rubbing and take it from there. It might be a timely warning!
    Hi, the most common fault is the cables from the motor to the wheels, they tend to go rusty and snap (don't ask me how I know!) which is a very expensive repair. Phil
    2008 XF Luxury 2.7D, Azure Blue/Dove Grey, Jaguar Voice, Mirror Pack, Winter Pack, DAB Radio, Keyless Entry, Owned from new.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think anything can have snapped because everything still works, but I'll take a look next week and report back.

Keith

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by KJB View Post
    I don't think anything can have snapped because everything still works, but I'll take a look next week and report back.

Keith
    It definately doesn't work when the cable snaps, just as well "P" locks the transmission or I would hve been chasing the car all over the Wirral. Phil

Post Thanks / Like
    I had a prob with mine although that was after I replaced the battery for a good one,i got errors popping up a lot Evan tho the brake was working just fine,
    I ended up doing the parking brake re set, that sorted it out , might be worth a shot if it happens again

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast