Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Engine Management light on..

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Engine Management light on..

hi all
    I was just wondering if anyone out there had experienced the following?

a week ago my engine management light came on. I fitted my code reader and p 1000 fault showed up. I cleared the fault and the light went off, I went for a run in the car, and after three miles the light came back on. I, put the code reader back on and p 1000 showed up again, once again i cleared the code and the light went off, i run for a few miles and again the light came back on. this as gone on all week.
    during all this there has been no lack of performance at all, it's been running absolutely fine

anyone out there got any ideas

best regards glynbob

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi what type is your car.
    What are you reading the codes with?
    Did you do anything with the battery before it first happened.
    Because it can mean

Possible causes The vehicle is new from the factory. Battery or Powertrain Control Module (PCM) had recently been disconnected. An OBD monitor failure occurred before completion of an OBD drive cycle. PCM Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC) have recently been cleared with a scan tool.

Read more: https://www.engine-codes.com/p1000_jaguar.html

If so then do the procedure after the replacing the battery and th
    It should be clear
    http://www.jaguarforum.com/showthread.php?t=78977

Post Thanks / Like
    Some worries:
    1. P1000 will never put the MIL on (it's a status code meaning the OBD monitors have not set)
    2. You should originally have had (pending) P1111 (monitors set) so you need to figure why you did not (hint: it's not the computer to blame)
    3. if the MIL is on you have at least one (non-status) code so your tool is failing to tell you it/them

Stop clearing the codes!! You'll get nowhere and may be causing damage because you do not know what is wrong.

By way of common example: you can be destroying the cats. Expensive...

4. Likes Sean O' liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Try a different code reader, or get a session booked in with a garage that can interrogate it better.
    2007 X-Type Saloon sport 2.5 AWD in Black.

2010 Zafira Elite 1.9 CDTI (with the chocolate M32 Box)

20 years experience with motor vehicle engineering.

Post Thanks / Like
    This is not a reply to OP but is a very related topic (sorry if it's in the wrong place)

I have had an amber Engine Management Warning light appear.
    I've had the car for almost a year with the odd other warning light (e.g. ABS) appear that has disappeared after switching the engine off and on again.
    This one has stayed.
    I've read that this often indicates a sensor fault.
    Since the light is "amber" rather than red is the car likely to be OK to drive (am planning a 2 hour motorway trip tomorrow) or is it something that needs immediate attention?
    I've driven it a short journey to work this morning and the light appeared as soon as I started it up.
    There is no notification in the small panel on the dash beneath the dials.
    No noticeable effect on performance, but it's just been on a short trip around town.

I don't have a code reader.

X Series. 2002. 67,000 miles. 2.5 Auto SE. Very recent MOT pass, no advisories.

Many thanks
    Buzz
    Last edited by Buzz; 29-06-17 at 10:05.
    Buzz
    new to the Jaguar family !

Post Thanks / Like
    You need a code reader for this car or it will cost you a fortune in throwing parts at problems on speculation and shotgunning.

Get a WiFi or Bluetooth ELM327 OBD Code reader from ebay to use with your smartphone and one of the code read/reset apps like Torque Lite and others.

Look for a version 1.4/1.5 if you can find one it's better because some of the early version 2+ didn't work apparently.

They read the general codes and mine read the ABS sensor fault that I had too.

You can also see fuel trims and many other sensors with it too.

You can use the "ELM327 Identifier" app to check it for compatibility.

8. Thanks Buzz thanked for this post
    Likes Buzz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Follow Jim's advice on buying an Elm 327 it will be the best tenner that you have spent. They are on ebay or Amazon. I prefer the usb connection type and use a old laptop to run a program from eobd-facile. The graphs are bigger that way. So much better for my old worn out eyes.
    Check your battery voltage first. It should be over 12.6 v.

Before you go on this long drive go to a garage and get the codes read as they are a warning that something is wrong, it may be nothing to worry about but then again it could be saying repair the problem or something nasty could happen.

10. Thanks Buzz thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim_S-V6_2004 View Post
    You need a code reader for this car or it will cost you a fortune in throwing parts at problems on speculation and shotgunning.

Get a WiFi or Bluetooth ELM327 OBD Code reader from ebay to use with your smartphone and one of the code read/reset apps like Torque Lite and others.

Look for a version 1.4/1.5 if you can find one it's better because some of the early version 2+ didn't work apparently.

They read the general codes and mine read the ABS sensor fault that I had too.

You can also see fuel trims and many other sensors with it too.

You can use the "ELM327 Identifier" app to check it for compatibility.

Thanks, Jim S V6
    That's really helpful.
    I thought that those diagnostic scanners cost hundreds of pounds.
    I've just seen the one you recommended (v 1.5) on amazon for less than £12 !!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/jp3/LUJII...J1G7YBFPE90840

I'm not competent enough to second guess what the fault might be, anyway, so I'll get one of these and post the codes on here for further advice.
    Having read your post, I've checked out the ELM website, too, for Android apps and Torque Lite pops up there as being a good one and on the App Store is free and has a very good customer approval rating.

Thanks again for the information,
    Much appreciated
    Buzz
    Buzz

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ducmon View Post
    Follow Jim's advice on buying an Elm 327 it will be the best tenner that you have spent. They are on ebay or Amazon. I prefer the usb connection type and use a old laptop to run a program from eobd-facile. The graphs are bigger that way. So much better for my old worn out eyes.
    Check your battery voltage first. It should be over 12.6 v.

Before you go on this long drive go to a garage and get the codes read as they are a warning that something is wrong, it may be nothing to worry about but then again it could be saying repair the problem or something nasty could happen.
    Thanks, Ducmon,
    Sound advice, I'll do that.
    Buzz

Post Thanks / Like
    Just remember that the free program s don't normally allow you to reset the code but you can always do that by a hard reset when it comes to push or shove.

14. Thanks Buzz thanked for this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast