Thread: New Toy, Mercedes CL55 AMG 5.5L 2001

Post Thanks / Like

New Toy, Mercedes CL55 AMG 5.5L 2001

As the post is titled just got a New Toy for the Summer, anyone ever had one? (will be keeping the S type)
    2002.5 4.2 SE 13th year of S Type ownership. Full Jaguar Paint, Navigation, Music Player, Steering Wheel & Seat that move by themselves,Wheels,Screen,Colour changing Mirrors, Bright Lights,Opening & Closing Doors & Windows. Bluetooth Phone & Voice. Beeps at the back. Now on second with additional TV , warm seats & windscreen, first one died at 190,000.

Post Thanks / Like
    Never had one Steve but I have been attracted to them many times over the years , in fact compared to the previous generation of CL
    they are a very beautifully proportioned machine that have a very attractive coach built look about them especially the rear pillars when
    viewed side on . I will be interested as to how you get along with it , a Local Albanian car wash owner who own an SL55 tells me that AMG
    suspension items can be very expensive and they can also get through the tyres when driven hard , there were also some electrical issues
    with SLs of that period , I mention this as its the same engine and electronics as your car . I only mention the Albanian as he previously
    owned a Mercedes Indy in Milton Keynes called PCS so I believe he has some knowledge of what he is talking about.
    Anyway its a short life so enjoy it , its probably at its best in Black I think .

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by reddiesel View Post
    suspension items can be very expensive and they can also get through the tyres when driven hard , there were also some electrical issues
    So just like a Jag, then?
    2000 Jaguar X308 4.0
    1973 Jensen Interceptor Mk III 7.2
    1969 Jensen Interceptor Mk I 6.3

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SV8Predator View Post
    So just like a Jag, then?
    I think so in some ways , but I would say that it is put together better using better components and materials as far as the
    interior goes .

Post Thanks / Like
    What was the difference in initial cost when new compared to the S type? Of which there isn't a direct comparison I know.. Because after a certain level of price it comes down to quality rather than quantity..
    2001 3.0 SE Auto, Satnav, winter pack. Dark Blue, all the toys... 128,000 and counting, need to sell it but it's too nice...
    2004 3.0 Sovereign Estate. Winter pack. Fixed. For Sale...
    2005 Estate X type 2.2 Sport.
    2000 V8 3.2 XJ8 LWB. "Prom" car. Lovely.
    2005 "AllyCat", 3.0 XJ6 SE.
    2000 S type 4.0 V8. Latest toy.
    VFR800A too for when the suns out. NT650V for work.

Still beating cancer.

Sure I took the Red pill....

Post Thanks / Like
    CL55 AMG was £91,000 new in 2001, the receipt came with the car!! lots of extras, but the double glazing is standard!
    2002.5 4.2 SE 13th year of S Type ownership. Full Jaguar Paint, Navigation, Music Player, Steering Wheel & Seat that move by themselves,Wheels,Screen,Colour changing Mirrors, Bright Lights,Opening & Closing Doors & Windows. Bluetooth Phone & Voice. Beeps at the back. Now on second with additional TV , warm seats & windscreen, first one died at 190,000.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not a huge Mercedes fan but this is one of the more stylish models around.
    Enjoy !
    2010MY 3.0D XF Premium Luxury Azure Blue
    Plus a few others

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by V8Steve View Post
    CL55 AMG was £91,000 new in 2001, the receipt came with the car!! lots of extras, but the double glazing is standard!
    They were all crazy money when new especially the V12 S Class , I suspect that if you look hard enough it may still be
    possible to find one with the original owner , what a depreciation nightmare they must have endured

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice car the CL55AMG, though as said the ABC can cost in the vicinity of £1100 each corner when repairs are needed depending on whether struts are required.
    Enjoy your car V8Steve