Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1962 mk 2

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kiko View Post
    hi rob i looked at my engine number and it ends with 8 so i assume then its ratio is 8.1 i have the 2.4 engine sorry i should have said this at the beginning , im new at this but learning fast , the car had been laid up for 43 years but since going on the road did run nice its just recently started this what i do notice is the plugs are sooty but starts and ticks over , and revs if i rev it slowly then starts to spit back through the front carb then as i rev harder it does it through both,i will check the compression again, thanks for taking the time to post this advice i will make a few more checks , plugs etc regards kiko
    Wow after 43 years you will find a lot of problems which are not necessarily mechanical wear but seized parts which could be causing the symptoms you have. First your low compression could be down to sticking piston rings. There are three rings on the pistons which sit in grooves and they might be seized in the grooves. This would account for the soot as well as not only would you be losing compression but oil would also be getting up from the sump in to the bore and causing the sooty colour on the plugs. Try soaking the bores with petrol. Remove the plugs and tips some petrol down each plug hole and let them soak over night. This might free up the rings. The petrol will seep down into the sump though so you will need to change the oil. Also before you try and start the car tip some oil down each bore and turn the engine over without the plugs in to lubricate the rings and get rid of the extra fuel. Again leave it overnight and then try starting the engine. When turning the engine over put a rag over the plug holes or the oil will be chucked out all over the engine. Lastly have your carbs been stripped and cleaned. If they have been sat for 43 years with old petrol sat in them I will guarantee the fuel will have turned to varnish and will be clogging every orifice your carbs have. Horrible stuff to get rid of. I am rebuilding a motor bike at the moment which had been sat for 7 years and the carbs were completely clogged up with the stuff. Had to soak them in paint gun cleaner for a couple of days to get the varnish off.
    Rob.C.
    1968 Jaguar S Type 3.4 Auto Old English white
    2006 X type SE 2.0d Estate
    1966 Ford Anglia 1760 X flow
    1993 Yamaha FJ1200
    2012 Old English Sheep Dog White and Grey

Post Thanks / Like
    Clean the carbs and look at the diaphragm.
    If all is well, start the car in the dark with the bonnet open.
    Look for tracking on the distributor cap and the leads.

My guess is a bad distributor cap. Look inside the cap for carbon traces.
    Jaguar Keys & Remotes
    Castle Locks
    196 London Rd
    Hadleigh
    Essex
    SS7 2PD

07792 552423
    01702 555557
    castle.locks@btinternet.com

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks Alec, thats one i never thought of although i did check the float level, ill check that tomorrow thanks mate ill let you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Any news on this ?
    Jaguar Keys & Remotes
    Castle Locks
    196 London Rd
    Hadleigh
    Essex
    SS7 2PD

07792 552423
    01702 555557
    castle.locks@btinternet.com

Post Thanks / Like
    hiya not had a lot of time to try things but i did find that inside the cap at the pluglead bases there was a lot of like mold on the terminal connections so i have cleaned it all off and it certainly sounded better but havent had time to take it out on the road yet to try it out, i work away so im home next week so hopefully get it out on the road, the mould like substance was very thick so im hoping this was the fault will post my findings shortly meanwhile thanks for your help everyone

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kiko View Post
    hiya not had a lot of time to try things but i did find that inside the cap at the pluglead bases there was a lot of like mold on the terminal connections so i have cleaned it all off and it certainly sounded better but havent had time to take it out on the road yet to try it out, i work away so im home next week so hopefully get it out on the road, the mould like substance was very thick so im hoping this was the fault will post my findings shortly meanwhile thanks for your help everyone
    I hope you have cracked it Kiko , we did reckon it was an ignition problem

Post Thanks / Like
    i hope so too mate it has drove me nuts yes we did think it was ignition but i had checked everything"i thought " never saw this fungus in the leads actually never seen that before ill keep you posted thanks mate

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi. What plugs are fitted ? Have you replaced them ? The only plugs that are any good these days a NGK
    The secret of flight is to aim at the ground and miss !

2013 Sportbrake 2.2 Sport. Italian Racing Red

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12