Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Questions Regarding Rear Brake Discs and Pads Following Four Year Service.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike look around junk shops and market stalls selling old tools, I picked up a 0-4" mic. for fifteen pounds as the front discs are over the inch, just handy to have in the tool box. I am on the third set of rear pads and the same discs but I don't wear the pads down next to nothing before changing them.

John

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mikefarnham View Post
    It is because of this paragraph from the link that the sticky points to Ian:

Then you need the car to release the parking brake. You can put the car on neutral and remove disconnect the batery's negative terminal. This is important because when you are done you have to reset the position of the parking brake. If you don't disconnect the battery then the car will think that your pads are worn and will exert extra pressure on the caliper to maintain the desired tension, and your brakes are going to wear prematurely. This is why you read my blog because I only work on british cars and I know what I'm talking about. This is a very common mistake general mechanics make. Then the car wears the pads in a couple of thousand miles and they don't know why... When you reconnect the battery at the end of this procedure the car will ask you to step on the brake and apply the parking brake, when you do this the computer will relearn the new position of the caliper for the new thickness of the new pads.

The spelling, grammar and punctuation are not mine!

Mike.
    Mike, I've also done my rear discs and pads a few times and I disagree with that text that you found. I've never done anything special with the parking brake except leave it disengaged when working on it and I haven't had the pads wear in anything like "a couple of thousand miles".

I understand the electronic parking brake mechanism to be self-tensioning, the reason you get the message about "apply foot brake and park brake" on first start after having the battery disconnected is simply because the car doesn't know what state the park brake is in at the time.

3. Likes Ian D, reddiesel liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I got 13k miles out of the rear pads which I did myself using the method I described, not a 'couple thousand' as mentioned in that paragraph.

As long as it's released before starting, it's good to work on. Rewind the caliper clockwise, fit pads. Apply EPB on finishing a few times to make sure the system is working as it should, keep an eye on the brake fluid and it's a job well done.
    Current Car:
    2017 XE R-Sport 25t 250Ps 18MY.

Previous Cars:
    2000 S-Type 3.0L SE Auto
    2004 X-Type 3.0L AWD SE Auto estate.
    2007 XK x150 4.2L Coupe

Resident Super Moderator.
    V6 X-Type Oil Sump Replacement Guide

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by M100 TWO View Post
    Mike look around junk shops and market stalls selling old tools, I picked up a 0-4" mic. for fifteen pounds as the front discs are over the inch, just handy to have in the tool box. I am on the third set of rear pads and the same discs but I don't wear the pads down next to nothing before changing them.

John
    Yes John,

The time has probably arrived!! Thanks for your suggestion. I shall action it.

Mike.
    S TYPE 3.0 SPORT 2001.
    X Type Petrol Estate SOVEREIGN 3.0 2008.
    XK150 5.0 Portfolio 2013

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 8bit View Post
    Mike, I've also done my rear discs and pads a few times and I disagree with that text that you found. I've never done anything special with the parking brake except leave it disengaged when working on it and I haven't had the pads wear in anything like "a couple of thousand miles".

I understand the electronic parking brake mechanism to be self-tensioning, the reason you get the message about "apply foot brake and park brake" on first start after having the battery disconnected is simply because the car doesn't know what state the park brake is in at the time.
    That is very interesting and exactly as Ian says.

Thanks 8bit.

Having real trouble sorting the pads on Ebay. It is the usual problem; I find a listing heading with the right model then check by adding the specifics in the drop down menus and then get a message saying the product does not suit my car. Where listings show vins they tend to go up to B3XXXX and mine is B5XXXX.
    I can't help thinking their database is corrupt. I am almost certainly buying Red Stuff providing the sensor will clip on OK and have an XK150 5.0 Portfolio 2013 so if anyone has the EBC part number I should be grateful please.

Thanks for your help.

Mike.
    S TYPE 3.0 SPORT 2001.
    XK150 5.0 Portfolio 2013

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, I am going with you Ian, especially as no one has interjected that there is any difference in procedures between 2007 and 2013.

Thanks for your reassurance.

Mike.
    S TYPE 3.0 SPORT 2001.
    XK150 5.0 Portfolio 2013

Post Thanks / Like
    EBC RedStuff part number for rears for your car is DP31749C. Stay away from eBay - plenty of chancers selling fakes on there, go somewhere reputable like www.ebcbrakesdirect.com.

9. Likes Ian D liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The wind back tool is 20mm PCD with 5mm pegs. Hope this helps.

John

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd ask some more questions about rear discs approaching minimum thickness. My XF has done similar miles and I was told all my discs were nearer min thickness. Backs min are 18mm are they are now 19mm Sir so not much left. Discs pads and sensors all round £850 please.

I asked to speak to the mechanic, How thick are these discs brand new then..... 20mm.

So I told them go stop taking the proverbial and just replace the back discs and sensors and I might be back in another two years for new discs, ayeright !

It must be close to trying to take money by deception surely, I bet many fall for it.
    2015 2.2 XF R-Sport Black Edition in Italian Racing Red.

http://i463.photobucket.com/albums/q...26fcfebd57.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Assuming we're talking about the same main dealer (in Aberdeen) then they told me my rear pads and discs were "done" and quoted me a hefty sum to change them. I declined politely, bought EBC Redstuff pads and discs and set about them myself. Discovered the pads were, at worst, half worn so still plenty of life in them. Discs did have a wee bit of a lip, not sure it was quite 2mm but I'd also be amazed if the dealer had actually measured them correctly. I think main dealer protocol is to advise changing of friction materials at about 50% worn, which is a bit OTT.

Not sure if you still use the local lot but I switched to Pentland in Perth for servicing. It's a wee bit of a trek but they can usually sort you out a courtesy car and they do a good job and seem to be honest.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast