Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Questions Regarding Rear Brake Discs and Pads Following Four Year Service.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nah mine wasn't at the dealers, pad sensors came on and I could see the rears were low. So I took to kfit to get new pads for them to try to take my eyes out. I'd sat there for two hours thinking they were at least changing the back pads only go find not only had they done nothing other than take all the wheels of and inspect, they hadn't even the pads in stock despite me booing in and being told rear. Pads and sensors would be ordered in advance.

My experience at the dealer so far has been food in a. Way. They collected from my work for a service then returned same day. Gets a phonecall to tell the driver had kernes my front wheels, not so good. However they did fess up and confirm they would refurb my front wheels. A few weeks later with a courtesy car arranged they took my car away and returned a day later, as a gesture of goodwill they refurbished all four wheels.
    2015 2.2 XF R-Sport Black Edition in Italian Racing Red.

http://i463.photobucket.com/albums/q...26fcfebd57.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks 8bit.

Saving up now!

Mike.
    S TYPE 3.0 SPORT 2001.
    X Type Petrol Estate SOVEREIGN 3.0 2008.
    XK150 5.0 Portfolio 2013

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by M100 TWO View Post
    The wind back tool is 20mm PCD with 5mm pegs. Hope this helps.

John
    Thanks John,

Need a new one then as mine is 22-23mm!

Mike.
    S TYPE 3.0 SPORT 2001.
    XK150 5.0 Portfolio 2013

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by M100 TWO View Post
    The wind back tool is 20mm PCD with 5mm pegs. Hope this helps.

John
    After much searching the only adaptor I can find to match this is:

Laser 4342 Brake Piston Rewind Adaptor No 18.

This fits my Laser 1314 tool and is said to fit the Ford Focus and Renault Laguna.

The other options appear to be buying a universal set of twenty odd adaptors, none of which state precisely the sizes included or an adjustable adaptor.

Mike.
    S TYPE 3.0 SPORT 2001.
    XK150 5.0 Portfolio 2013

Post Thanks / Like
    Re wind back tool

The pegs on the reversible one sold made by Laser and sold by Halfords do not fit (see below)

http://www.halfords.com/workshop-too...er-rewind-tool

I bought an adjustable variant which works fine

http://www.halfords.com/workshop-too...ind-tool--5751

Another word of advice - If poss use the Mongoose to release park brake to service position as unless you rewind fully and recalibrate the rear pads will drag further reducing service life.

If you hear creaking when applying the parking brake then it has not been correctly calibrated
    Current 2009 XKR Lunar Grey

Past Jags 78 XJ6 4.2 S2, 87 XJS 3.6 manual, 89 XJ40 3.6 Sovereign, 95 X300 XJR, 02 XK8 Conv, 98 X308 XJR, 99 X308 3.2, 07 X358 TDVI Sport

Others 66 Mini, 1.6 Capri, Rover SD1 V8 & 2.6, Rover SD1 Vitesse Twin Plenum, Supra, BMW e34 540, BMW e38 735, 05 Range Rover Vogue SE Supercharged

6. Likes Jimbov8 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by talltim View Post
    Re wind back tool

The pegs on the reversible one sold made by Laser and sold by Halfords do not fit (see below)

http://www.halfords.com/workshop-too...er-rewind-tool

I bought an adjustable variant which works fine

http://www.halfords.com/workshop-too...ind-tool--5751

Another word of advice - If poss use the Mongoose to release park brake to service position as unless you rewind fully and recalibrate the rear pads will drag further reducing service life.

If you hear creaking when applying the parking brake then it has not been correctly calibrated
    Thanks Tim. I had read the same.

The necessity of using a Mongoose was one of the topics of this thread on page 1. Ian assures me his method, not using one, works and does not result in premature wearing of the pads. This is backed by another contributor up on a later page. I have no mongoose so have little choice. Noone yet has been able to verify that the procedure is the same for 2007 and 2013 models.

Your link to the Laser tool shows, effectively, a Laser 1314 tool, which I have, with the adjustable disc which I do not. The latter is available separately on Ebay under a different name.

Your time, trouble and help are much appreciated. Thanks.

Mike.
    S TYPE 3.0 SPORT 2001.
    XK150 5.0 Portfolio 2013

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep, no need to use software to put the park brake in service position/release cable tension, that's only if changing the caliper, hoses or park brake cable. I've done rear discs and pads three times now, the only time I did that with the software was last time and only while doing the nearside, because I was changing the caliper as well.

Just leave the park brake disengaged when you do the disc and pad change and wind the piston back fully using the rewind tool. Once you've completed the job on both sides, pump the brake pedal a few times so it goes firm before starting the engine, that'll engage the pistons. Once you've started the car, hold the brake pedal down and pull the park brake switch up, this will retension the park brake cable. It does that every time you engage it using the same method.

If you want to check this is operating correctly then jack the rear up again with the engine running, front wheels chocked securely, the park brake disengaged and the car in neutral. Turn each rear wheel a bit by hand and ensure they spin freely. Then apply the park brake and try again to spin each wheel, they should be held firm. Drive a short distance and park facing downhill, into neutral and park brake on, ensure the car is held safely by the park brake alone. Lastly, ensure the rear wheels aren't hot to touch, indicating a dragging caliper or incorrectly operating park brake.

I think a lot of people (and I'm not suggesting anyone in particular) worry a little too much about the electronic parking brake. It's really not any different from most regular, mechanical hand brakes, it still just operates by rotating the rear piston in the threads, it's just that the cable is pulled by an electric motor instead of the lever mechanism in traditional systems. It's not doing anything really any more clever than that, the only thing it does do is prevent you from disengaging it if you haven't got your foot firmly on the brake pedal. This is just a safety precaution to prevent the car suddenly rolling downhill if the button is pushed by mistake since there's no release button as found on the top end of a traditional handbrake lever.

9. Likes Ian D liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes can be done without mongoose but just need to ensure pistons are fully wound in etc
    Current 2009 XKR Lunar Grey

Past Jags 78 XJ6 4.2 S2, 87 XJS 3.6 manual, 89 XJ40 3.6 Sovereign, 95 X300 XJR, 02 XK8 Conv, 98 X308 XJR, 99 X308 3.2, 07 X358 TDVI Sport

Others 66 Mini, 1.6 Capri, Rover SD1 V8 & 2.6, Rover SD1 Vitesse Twin Plenum, Supra, BMW e34 540, BMW e38 735, 05 Range Rover Vogue SE Supercharged

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 8bit View Post
    Yep, no need to use software to put the park brake in service position/release cable tension, that's only if changing the caliper, hoses or park brake cable. I've done rear discs and pads three times now, the only time I did that with the software was last time and only while doing the nearside, because I was changing the caliper as well.

Just leave the park brake disengaged when you do the disc and pad change and wind the piston back fully using the rewind tool. Once you've completed the job on both sides, pump the brake pedal a few times so it goes firm before starting the engine, that'll engage the pistons. Once you've started the car, hold the brake pedal down and pull the park brake switch up, this will retension the park brake cable. It does that every time you engage it using the same method.

If you want to check this is operating correctly then jack the rear up again with the engine running, front wheels chocked securely, the park brake disengaged and the car in neutral. Turn each rear wheel a bit by hand and ensure they spin freely. Then apply the park brake and try again to spin each wheel, they should be held firm. Drive a short distance and park facing downhill, into neutral and park brake on, ensure the car is held safely by the park brake alone. Lastly, ensure the rear wheels aren't hot to touch, indicating a dragging caliper or incorrectly operating park brake.

I think a lot of people (and I'm not suggesting anyone in particular) worry a little too much about the electronic parking brake. It's really not any different from most regular, mechanical hand brakes, it still just operates by rotating the rear piston in the threads, it's just that the cable is pulled by an electric motor instead of the lever mechanism in traditional systems. It's not doing anything really any more clever than that, the only thing it does do is prevent you from disengaging it if you haven't got your foot firmly on the brake pedal. This is just a safety precaution to prevent the car suddenly rolling downhill if the button is pushed by mistake since there's no release button as found on the top end of a traditional handbrake lever.
    Thanks 8bit. Crystal clear.

Outside today doing final fills and spray on my Tamana wheel I kerbed on the Isle of Wight last Friday.
    Great spraying weather.
    Never parking on the road in a tight space again; tilting mirrors, the lot, still almost impossible to see the kerb by the wheel sufficiently.

Mike.
    S TYPE 3.0 SPORT 2001.
    XK150 5.0 Portfolio 2013

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234