Thread: Long drive, top-up my oil?

Post Thanks / Like

Long drive, top-up my oil?

In a couple of weeks I'm going to take the Jaaaag for a short trip down to Spain, I've done 7/8k since my last service and here is my oil level.
    Do I need to top it up before I go, and if so which oil do I buy, I cannot find one anywhere that meets the code in my handbook (WSS M2C934-B) I see 5W30 Ford approved ones but with a different code.

XJ 2009 (number 77 off the line ) 3 Liter Diesel with DPF.

XJ X351, XJR X350, S-Type 2.7D Sport, XJR X308, X-Type 2.5 Sport, XJ X300 Sport

Post Thanks / Like
    LO8ous - don't worry about why you're getting this message via an intermediary, but I have be asked to pass this on to you which I'm very happy to do ......

"Could you please tell him his level is spot on, and not to put any more in it , if the level is to full it can lead to unburned fuel issues oil mixing with diesel etc. and the oil for his car is shell ultra AF-L its a low ash oil for DPF cars that the dealers now use. many thanks. "
    David.
    XK8 Convertible 4.0 - 1997. Aerial switch, boot lid switch, remote key-fob operated hood, & tensioners replaced.

3. Thanks L80OUS thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    L80ous - I would concur with what David writes

On the 2.7Tdvi as I'm sure you were aware, there were/ are DPF issues that mean any unburnt fuel during a failed DPR regeneration process got dumped into the oil, this means that the level actually rises over time.
    I can't say that I'm 100% that the same issue remains on the 3.0 Tdvi but I wouldn't like to bet against it.

Fir info I literally just had my oil / filter changed yesterday and made sure that they only filled to the the halfway point, perhaps just a tad over. This means that as the fuel is dumped into the sump through failed regens the level rises and the oil quality diminishes. Better that than diesel car runaway scenario where it can become self fuelling and blow the engine

Just for the record I've been changing my oil this way now on this car for 3 years

Hope it helps buddy
    Jim
    MY2008 ( 58 ) XJ X358 2.7 Tdvi Sovereign LWB remapped to 245bhp, Black, Ivory leather interior with black piping, 20" Alloys
    MY2007 Audi A6 3.0 Tdi SE Quattro 176bhp Stratos Blue, Front & Rear park assist, Comms Pack High, Sline grille badge, 19" 7 twin spoke RS4 alloys,
    Rear tints, Dipped bulbs 80W, Mainbeams 100W, Foglights 100W, Number plate bulb LED's, Interior bulb LED's, First Aid Kit

5. Thanks L80OUS thanked for this post