Thread: Information/advice on rear entertainment system please.

Post Thanks / Like

Information/advice on rear entertainment system please.

Good morning,
    I'm hoping someone on here can tell me some information on the rear entertainment system fitted to my
    2006 XJR.
    My car has got the rear entertainment armrest switchpack fitted from factory.
    If it's got that fitted am I right in thinking that it would have the entertainment control module fitted to the rear bulkhead behind the rear seat?
    If it has, would it be possible to expand on the current system & fit the headrest monitors & boot mounted DVD player to the existing system?
    Any information would be great, struggling to find out much information elsewhere.
    Thanks for reading.
    Tony.

Post Thanks / Like
    mine was a bit of a mystery - I have the rear armrest-mounted switch pack, but I don't have the dvd headrests.

Moreover, I had the dvd controller mounted to the bulkhead, but no wiring for it

so the answer is - yours isn't unique in that respect and yes you may have the controller

if you haven't, then mine's up for grabs. I have zero interest in on-board entertainment beyond radio, so it'll only end up on ebay

3. Thanks Tony Xtype thanked for this post
    Likes Tony Xtype liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very common to have the rear switchpack, but no screens or DVD player. Yes it is possible to upgrade to the full system, but you will need wiring loom, screens, new headrests, DVD player and video switch module.
    Super V8, X358 Facelift + Portfolio Vents + Wald Spoiler, Black Cherry with Ivory/Charcoal leather + Black SuedeCloth Headliner, Rear Entertainment, Picnic Trays and Split Rear Reclining Seats. 200 Cell Cats, 2.5 SS Custom X-Pipe Exhaust
    Ex. XJ X350 3.0 Silver/Dove

5. Thanks Tony Xtype thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Alec Escolme View Post
    Very common to have the rear switchpack, but no screens or DVD player. Yes it is possible to upgrade to the full system, but you will need wiring loom, screens, new headrests, DVD player and video switch module.
    Thanks for your response Alec.
    Do you mean the entire telematric harness or the link cables from DVD player, monitors & switch module?

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Tony,
    Ideally, the whole telematics harness would be replaced, however they changed throughout the years, so may not be compatible... You could separate the required cables for TV screens and then splice into your existing loom at the original points.
    Super V8, X358 Facelift + Portfolio Vents + Wald Spoiler, Black Cherry with Ivory/Charcoal leather + Black SuedeCloth Headliner, Rear Entertainment, Picnic Trays and Split Rear Reclining Seats. 200 Cell Cats, 2.5 SS Custom X-Pipe Exhaust

8. Thanks Tony Xtype thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Tony,
    Ideally, the whole telematics harness would be replaced, however they changed throughout the years, so may not be compatible... You could separate the required cables for TV screens and then splice into your existing loom at the original points.
    Thanks Alec!
    I've gotten hold of a pair of headrest monitors, the link cables for these to the video splitter module, the splitter module, DVD player & link cable. Also got the compete telematics harness all from a 2007 XJ.
    The donor car was also fitted with analogue TV system.
    I've traced the connections on the donor harness for the power feed for the DVD player, it links into a common live & earth point in the loom, I've separated the black main link cables & these are a straight plug & play to the module for both the monitors & the DVD player.
    The armrest switch panel in my car has got the link cable fitted to go to the module so that's OK, but there is a multi plug that is concerning me on the module that I'm unsure of....
    It is at the far left of the module, it looks like it goes into the harness at various points & runs up to a multi plug towards the from centre console....
    Any idea what it is & if it's required at all?
    I'm not bothered about running the TV option, mainly because of it being analogue so obsolete these days & also because my car doesn't have the TV compatible rear windscreen.
    I don't want to start cutting into the donor harness until I know for certain what I need.

Post Thanks / Like
    Have you got the wiring diagram? I believe it goes to the front screen for TV, but I think some of the other pins are for power.

11. Thanks Tony Xtype thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Have you got the wiring diagram? I believe it goes to the front screen for TV, but I think some of the other pins are for power.
    Evening Alec,
    Really struggling to find any information on this, not having much luck finding wiring diagrams or anything else to be honest....
    Tempted to try the system out of the car to see if I can get anything up to the monitors.
    This plug has got me stumped at the moment!

Post Thanks / Like
    look for "jaguarrepair" on google - you'll be able to find the wiring diagram

14. Thanks Tony Xtype thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry to hijack, I have the rear entertainment with TV DVD etc - I have an old iPod I have loaded movies onto with an av cable and my 6 year old grandson loves it.
    My question would be, has anyone managed to add digital to the tv? I'm new to Jag's so stil to find my feet.
    Would a freeview box connected to the aerial connector work or is this a lost cause