Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Album covers not showing

Post Thanks / Like

Album covers not showing

Hi folks,

My new Portfolio XF arrived today; it's a lovely car so far, but I've got one minor problem:when I'm using a usb stick, the cover of the albums isn't displayed (it shows a few generic covers instead).
    I've added covers using mostly a program called mp3tag, made sure they were 600*600 ... it's properly displayed on the computer, but the car still doesn't show it..
    It's only working for a funk album I randomly downloaded on the internet, and didn't even add the cover myself. I spent last evening adding all that stuff, too!

Any idea?
    Cheers!

Post Thanks / Like
    MP3TAG will work fine but I found through experience that tags other than in ID3v2.2 did not work correctly for multi disc sets and track sequencing. Could be something similar for artwork? By the way, 600x600 is not compulsory; I know for sure that I have at least one that is 300x300 and they just scale.

If you have problems accessing via the Albums menu you can double check how readable the files are by browsing via Files instead (same menu, at the top as I recall).

Let me know if you have other questions - I am no expert but I have spent a lot of time customising to get the library working in my XF.
    XF X260 in Switzerland

Post Thanks / Like
    I do not use the usb because I do have my iPod connected. So far no problem to read the cover album.
    I have also discovered using the iPhone instead of Android, I can use Spotify with incontrol app.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the answers!

@jbn: that might be a clue; sadly, Mp3tag can only write in ID3v1, ID3v2.4 ((UTF-, ID3v2.3 (UTF-16), ID3v2.3 (ISO-8859-1), and APEv2. After a quick look on the net it doesn't look like there's a way to convert 2.3/2.4 tags back to 2.2.

I think it's related to the car's multimedia system rather than the audio files themselves, because I used the usb stick in a Toyota Rav4 today and the covers were displayed just fine. Furthermore, I downloaded an old album from some random website, made sure that there was no artwork included in the files, and yet it displayed the cover in the XF. So I guess there's some kind of database somewhere. If that's the case, it looks very impractical, and I do sincerely hope there's a workaround, because my 2000+ files obviously aren't in the database.

@mentepazza: good to know it works with an Ipod, but I'm using a stick and I don't own a smartphone, so I can't use any kind of apps.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have Android and play music with Google Play Music: album art does not show.
    It was showing on my previous SLK MY2014.

VW media system is so much better: it also shows radio icons...
    XF 2.0 Diesel 180cv 4WD Prestige Business Edition

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ballam View Post
    Thanks for the answers!

@jbn: that might be a clue; sadly, Mp3tag can only write in ID3v1, ID3v2.4 ((UTF-, ID3v2.3 (UTF-16), ID3v2.3 (ISO-8859-1), and APEv2. After a quick look on the net it doesn't look like there's a way to convert 2.3/2.4 tags back to 2.2.

I think it's related to the car's multimedia system rather than the audio files themselves, because I used the usb stick in a Toyota Rav4 today and the covers were displayed just fine. Furthermore, I downloaded an old album from some random website, made sure that there was no artwork included in the files, and yet it displayed the cover in the XF. So I guess there's some kind of database somewhere. If that's the case, it looks very impractical, and I do sincerely hope there's a workaround, because my 2000+ files obviously aren't in the database.

@mentepazza: good to know it works with an Ipod, but I'm using a stick and I don't own a smartphone, so I can't use any kind of apps.
    I agree that it is most likely the Jaguar system. Won't MP3TAG itself convert tag formats? I do not remember what I did exactly...
    XF X260 in Switzerland

Post Thanks / Like
    I've tried a handful of other programs editing the artwork/tags (perfecttunes, music brainz...), but to no avail!

Quote Originally Posted by jbn View Post
    I agree that it is most likely the Jaguar system. Won't MP3TAG itself convert tag formats? I do not remember what I did exactly...
    It converts tag formats, but not to 2.2.

I'm at my wit's end, that's so frustrating

edit: now that I think of it, I wish there was some kind of override; something like the database only kicking in if there are no artworks/metadata included in the files.
    Last edited by Ballam; 02-07-17 at 23:27.

Post Thanks / Like
    I may have misled you, in which case my apologies - I should have just pulled the USB stick from the car and checked it. I found a backup of the stick and see that the typical tags are listed as ID3v2.3 (ID3v1 ID3v2.3) and also at least one set of MP4. Also, but I am sure you have this, the image is set per track and not just per album. Again, I confirm that images can be smaller than 600x600 - mine range from that down to e.g. 202x200.

I do not think that you can send PMs yet, so I am contacting you with an e-mail address if you would like to send me a sample MP3 track, I will compare with mine.
    XF X260 in Switzerland

Post Thanks / Like
    After taking delivery of my XF-260 about 6 weeks ago, I initially spend a quite a bit time understanding the USB Stick Media formats it wants. I use MediaMonkey & EZ CD Audio Converter for my audio management and everything copied to the USB Stick works, except the Album Art. After trying different art resolutions, embedding within the track and as folder.jpg, I have also come to the conclusion it's using the Gracenote database as some of the album art displayed is not art I have added. I have not worked out if it uses Gracenote (for the art) exclusively or only if the tags/format of the files don't match the format it wants. After reading this thread and I'll go back and try a few more things with a new stick and report back if I get it working.

Hopefully Jaguar will either publish technical info of what In Control wants, or there will be an update that fixes this and other annoyances, but it seems that updates are not that common.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just my 50c in to this one...

I have all my CDs on the home (cinema) computer in a MediaPlayer (Windows) library.
    I copied that entire library to a USB stick including all the AlbumArt covers and everything.
    And guess what? It WORKS! Shows the album covers and names and all...
    No spacial tools or software needed or anything.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast