Thread: Steering rack arm

Post Thanks / Like

Steering rack arm

Had my tracking checked on Friday and they inform me that the 'Steering rack arm' is bent on the nearside, plus the rubber boot is split on the offside. They tell me they normally fit both sides at the same time, and replace the steering rack arm AND the track rod end.

Questions:
    1. Is it detrimental to run about with a bent steering rack arm?
    2. Is it necessary to replace both sides when only one side is bent?
    3. Is it necessary to replace both Steering rack arm and track rod end when it's only the steering rack arm that is faulty?

Thanks
    S Type 2007 2.7D XS

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Emmo View Post
    Had my tracking checked on Friday and they inform me that the 'Steering rack arm' is bent on the nearside, plus the rubber boot is split on the offside. They tell me they normally fit both sides at the same time, and replace the steering rack arm AND the track rod end.

Questions:
    1. Is it detrimental to run about with a bent steering rack arm?
    2. Is it necessary to replace both sides when only one side is bent?
    3. Is it necessary to replace both Steering rack arm and track rod end when it's only the steering rack arm that is faulty?

Thanks
    A bent steering means your front alignment will be off, you'll wear out your tires and suspension components quickly aside from fighting with the steering wheel to keep it straight. Issue is that it's hard to find inner tie rod for the s-type, the outer tie rod is very common. If it's the inner then a new rack is the only choice but if it's the outer then you can just buy that part. A split boot will shorten the life of the inner tie rods.

https://www.facebook.com/diyjaguarstype/

Post Thanks / Like
    1. If the inner rod is so bent that correct alignment cannot be achieved, then you will know something is wrong as explained by lincolnshbuya!
    2. If the other side is OK, then you could change one side. If the car has done a lot of miles and these parts are original, a refresh will make the steering firmer and more direct.
    3. Similar to above. If the TRE are old, a refresh is good, especially as they will be half off anyway.

Isn't the inner tie rod just one of these:

Lemförder 29702 01

They are easy enough to find and seem to be a fairly standard fit.
    S-Type 3.0 Manual MY2001 in Pacific Blue with Cashmere Leather Sport Seats, Sunroof, Melbourne Alloys, Premium Sound plus some other stuff ... 51k miles.
    XKR 5.0 Speed Pack MY2011 in Polaris White with Ivory/Charcoal Leather, Nevis Alloys and R-Performance Interior plus some other stuff ... 14k miles.
    FIAT Coupe MY1997 in Steel Grey with Tan Leather ... 51k miles.