Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Jaguar E-Pace... Anyone got one / driven one or ordered one yet?

Post Thanks / Like
    I think you're getting the model confused Douglas, the I-Pace is the electric SUV. The E-Pace is the smallest SUV of the range, but will be getting a hybrid version later on.
    Current Car:
    2017 XE R-Sport 25t 250Ps 18MY.

Previous Cars:
    2000 S-Type 3.0L SE Auto
    2004 X-Type 3.0L AWD SE Auto estate.
    2007 XK x150 4.2L Coupe

Resident Super Moderator.
    V6 X-Type Oil Sump Replacement Guide

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian D View Post
    I think you're getting the model confused Douglas, the I-Pace is the electric SUV. The E-Pace is the smallest SUV of the range, but will be getting a hybrid version later on.
    I should have gone to specsavers ...!!
    XKR MY2010, XK MY2006, S Type 2.7D, BMWs, Fords, Austins, MkX, Daimler SP250, Morris Minor Reg UFG23

Post Thanks / Like
    Keep going thinking this E-pace is pure marketing. Nothing else.
    The E-pace weight declared is the same as the F pace: 1800kg of pure Indian steel.Very exciting.

Post Thanks / Like
    The problem is that SUVs are a still-growing product market. Many people seem to find them exciting and will be buying them over what are apparently seen as boring saloons. So if the E-Pace is competitive in its segment, it will attract customers. I was at the IAA in Frankfurt last week and the place was mainly filled with SUVs of all shapes and sizes. The E-Pace cars on show were certainly not short of interest either. What is wrong with Jaguar producing products that they can sell?

It does seem heavy compared to say a Q3 and the mainly aluminium F-Pace but it is cheaper than the F-Pace so aluminium doesn't go I guess.

As for Indian steel, if Britain does not have the manufacturing capability for decent steel anymore, it will have to come from somewhere, won't it?
    S-Type 3.0 Manual MY2001 in Pacific Blue with Cashmere Leather Sport Seats, Sunroof, Melbourne Alloys, Premium Sound plus some other stuff ... 51k miles.
    XKR 5.0 Speed Pack MY2011 in Polaris White with Ivory/Charcoal Leather, Nevis Alloys and R-Performance Interior plus some other stuff ... 14k miles.
    FIAT Coupe MY1997 in Steel Grey with Tan Leather ... 51k miles.

5. Likes Ian D liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think you are missing the point here.We are talking about one of the most prestigious brand in the car manufacturing.Not about a desperate chinese brand looking for glory. I have nothing against Suv and crossover.
    JLR is recilclying an old project (evoque) which was already obsolete in tecnology 9 Years ago. (the style sold the car of course).
    The style will sell the E-Pace but in terms of best tecnology, engine and chassis you can find better options at the very bottom of the market in this category for less than 20k. Do you really think the evoque handles well on the road? not really. If they want to give the E-Pace a good driving feeling they have to stiffen the suspensions to death and give an arsh ride to the car. And it will not lead the class in driving or confort.
    They are selling a nice body. this is all they can do. A nice blonde, no content.
    If you are happy to pay good money for a second choice car, you go first. For my good money, I want to get the most, and it is clearly not the E-Pace here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not really missing the point - the public don't really care about heritage or absolute ability - they just buy the blonde because it looks good. Jaguar is still a small manufacturer without the financial clout to do the development that the giants can do. If you want that heritage, you trade some engineering, hopefully where it does not matter.

As for recycling platforms, XJS->XK8, S-Type->XF, etc. Does not mean that the new product is poor. Other manufacturers do it too.

The F-Pace handles very well ... for an SUV but when it came down to signing on the bottom line ... I'm not an SUV fan but the wife wanted one when son decided it was time she got a new car, we did not buy a third Jaguar! I drove a fairly low-powered F-Pace on a track and it is very competent at what is not its main brief. Also tried a GLC. Nice car too but very soft in the handling stakes. I actually paid for a Tucson 4wd with 177 PS. Similar power to the basic Jag or Merc. and similar performance if not actually faster (US magazines seem to get anything from 7.4 - 7.9 0-60 times and it feels in the same ballpark as my S-Type up to about 80 mph). It handles well for an SUV, grips and brakes very well. Just the lack of steering feel is a bit disconcerting when pressing on. It is not quite as good as either of the two posh ones I liked but it is hard to tell that it was half the price. The ordinary brands are so competent these days, the premium brands struggle to really better them. The have more toys, more choice of bigger engines etc, but they don't seem intrinsically much better.
    Last edited by Neilr; 28-09-17 at 11:56.
    S-Type 3.0 Manual MY2001 in Pacific Blue with Cashmere Leather Sport Seats, Sunroof, Melbourne Alloys, Premium Sound plus some other stuff ... 51k miles.
    XKR 5.0 Speed Pack MY2011 in Polaris White with Ivory/Charcoal Leather, Nevis Alloys and R-Performance Interior plus some other stuff ... 14k miles.

8. Likes Ian D, reddiesel liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jaguar developed a platfrom that is very flexible, one platform for all the production, in the near future you will see XE-XF-Xj-F-Pace-Ftype based on the same, modified platform. You will get then a brand driving feeling from the smallest to the biggest. Due to this flexibility the platform, made by alluminium,magnesium and reinforced steel doesn't excel in any compartment. Xe and Xf are not lighter than steel competitors and so is the F-pace. I understand this because, as you said, they do not have to much money to invest.
    The E-Pace is a bastard, no blu/indian blood. As you notice yourself the Tucson takes on the E-Pace easily.
    In terms of contents, consumption and overall performance.
    If Jaguar wants to compete with German premium brands should avoid products such as the E-Pace. Or at least sell it for the price it worth, probably 18/20k.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Neilr View Post
    Not really missing the point - the public don't really care about heritage or absolute ability - they just buy the blonde because it looks good. Jaguar is still a small manufacturer without the financial clout to do the development that the giants can do. If you want that heritage, you trade some engineering, hopefully where it does not matter.

As for recycling platforms, XJS->XK8, S-Type->XF, etc. Does not mean that the new product is poor. Other manufacturers do it too.

The F-Pace handles very well ... for an SUV but when it came down to signing on the bottom line ... I'm not an SUV fan but the wife wanted one when son decided it was time she got a new car, we did not buy a third Jaguar! I drove a fairly low-powered F-Pace on a track and it is very competent at what is not its main brief. Also tried a GLC. Nice car too but very soft in the handling stakes. I actually paid for a Tucson 4wd with 177 PS. Similar power to the basic Jag or Merc. and similar performance if not actually faster (US magazines seem to get anything from 7.4 - 7.9 0-60 times and it feels in the same ballpark as my S-Type up to about 80 mph). It handles well for an SUV, grips and brakes very well. Just the lack of steering feel is a bit disconcerting when pressing on. It is not quite as good as either of the two posh ones I liked but it is hard to tell that it was half the price. The ordinary brands are so competent these days, the premium brands struggle to really better them. The have more toys, more choice of bigger engines etc, but they don't seem intrinsically much better.
    I always bear your comments in mind Neil when it comes to the SUV market , once your into the 50K territory and above
    it gets very hard to justify in my opinion

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by reddiesel View Post
    I always bear your comments in mind Neil when it comes to the SUV market , once your into the 50K territory and above
    it gets very hard to justify in my opinion
    I actually see the appeal from the point of view of non-petrolheads: They are spacious and because this is achieved by increasing height, they are shorter than an equivalent estate, so actually easier to maneuver and park. They are different so have an additional appeal for people who have never owned one. If transport is just a means for getting the family from A-B in as much comfort as one can afford, an SUV is a pretty compelling package. The Velar at the Frankfurt show was a lovey place to be. Like a mobile modern lounge - clean, simple and nicely finished in its very expensive high-spec form No pretending to be copy of a racing car, just stylish comfort. However, if you like driving and expect top class handling, etc, the compromise going from even a well sorted estate to the best SUVs is still big.

The crux is that 95% of car buyers are not petrolheads and most couldn't tell the difference between major handling characteristics never mind the details. But the SUV appeals to them for the above mentioned reasons, which is OK. You and I might not see them as desirable but we are in the minority. Ignoring this market is just not an option for mainstream manufacturers.
    Last edited by Neilr; 28-09-17 at 14:51.

12. Likes Ian D liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hydrajaws daughter has the Velar on order apparently , it will be good to hear his thoughts upon taking delivery ,
    he was very impressed on the Test Drive

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234