Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Jaguar E-Pace... Anyone got one / driven one or ordered one yet?

Post Thanks / Like
    The F-Type, XJ, and all S models use 8HP70
    All other models use 8HP45

Scroll to bottom for 380Ps S/C petrol XF-S technical data it’ll show you that it has a ZF 8HP70.

http://media.jaguar.com/en-gb/news/2...wheel-drive-uk
    Current Car:
    2017 XE R-Sport 25t 250Ps 18MY.

Previous Cars:
    2000 S-Type 3.0L SE Auto
    2004 X-Type 3.0L AWD SE Auto estate.
    2007 XK x150 4.2L Coupe

Resident Super Moderator.
    V6 X-Type Oil Sump Replacement Guide

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mentepazza View Post
    Chassis/suspension? Doesn't really beat any German hands down. It quite match them at least.
    The chassis is a strong point on the xf I agree. Together with the electronic control of the suspension is a joy to drive on winding roads. And the steering is heavy enough to drive the car to it its limit.and brakes are powerfull enough. This is what I was looking for when I bought the xf. A large executive car plenty of driving fun. And it does what it promise. So does the 5 series. Which gearbox is not the same as the xf, it s more powerfull and handles great as well. The difference is about the rest of your journey off the winding roads.
    The suspension confort by the 5 series is superb. The xf is far from it. The engine at idle (520d) is quiet and the response of the engine quicker. There is no road noise inside the cabin at high speed and also the basic 5 series looks luxury. It does return better mpg. I know the 5 series very well. At work I picked the XF, my colleagues all went for the 5 series and one e class. I don't like the design and interior of the Merc . The air suspension(optional) on the E class is the most wanted optional ever. Confort is a great luxury experience on the Merc.
    What I am saying is the Xf is really a larger XE, with additional confort but is not at the same luxury driving experience level as for the Merc and bmw. And I think here jag is missing the point. They should try to make a luxury interior without going back to the old days design. And they should probably offer as standard/brand history claim, the amazing leather they offer on the portfolio.
    The no portfolio leather, especially black, looks plasticky.
    The 5 series doesnt have the same blend of ride comfort and handling. Close, but not the same. This is where Jag stand out.
    I dont recognise the much improved suspension comfort on the 5 series. Road noise and engine noise is the only things I recognise. But no road noise inside the 5 series? There is some.

The basic 5 series doesnt look luxury. Its a par with the XF. So you prefer the 5 series, ok, but dont exagerate.
    The suspension comfort on the Merc is obviously better yes, but thats because its handling is woeful. It doesnt have the same blend of handling/ comfort. Decide what you want.
    As for Luxury driving experience. Choose what you want. Comfort and tackiness of the Merc, or the better handling/ comfort blend of the Jag? They are different cars. I have agreed the interior could be better though. A mixture between old and new.
    The XF is not a larger XE. The interior is different, and the XE has suspension more setup for handling. The XE though is probably the one car in the Jag range which is miles ahead of its competition. The XF doesnt stand out above the 5 series. Its a similar level overall. The XE is much nicer than the 3 series.

Anyway, wrong thread. I'm done here.
    Southern bound from Glasgow town, She's shining in the sun; My Scotstoun Lassie on a border run
    We're whistling down the hillsides, And tearing up the climbs; I'm just a thiever stealing time, In the Border Reiver

Threehundred thousand on the clock, And plenty more to go; Crash box and lever, She needs the heel and toe
    She's not too cold in winter, But she cooks me in the heat; I'm a six foot driver, But you can't adjust the seat,

In the Border Reiver

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by reddiesel View Post
    I am genuinely delighted that your happy James and from what I read your not alone . Do you reckon that Mentepazza is wrong in
    some or all of his criticism and I don't wish to start WW3 by asking that question but I did find his Gearbox thoughts interesting .
    His criticism is exagerated. Massively. Not on all of it, but a lot of it. The gearbox thoughts are exagerated. The XF has a lovely smooth gearbox. The only point he may be slightly correct on is the takeup of power. On the XF if you smack your foot to the ground the gearbox thinks about it for a second. The 5 series may be a little quicker.
    Southern bound from Glasgow town, She's shining in the sun; My Scotstoun Lassie on a border run
    We're whistling down the hillsides, And tearing up the climbs; I'm just a thiever stealing time, In the Border Reiver

Threehundred thousand on the clock, And plenty more to go; Crash box and lever, She needs the heel and toe
    She's not too cold in winter, But she cooks me in the heat; I'm a six foot driver, But you can't adjust the seat,

In the Border Reiver

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian D View Post
    The F-Type, XJ, and all S models use 8HP70
    All other models use 8HP45

Scroll to bottom for 380Ps S/C petrol XF-S technical data it’ll show you that it has a ZF 8HP70.

http://media.jaguar.com/en-gb/news/2...wheel-drive-uk
    Plus from what I can tell, the only 5 series with the 8HP70 are the 3 litre diesels. The 2 litres dont. The brand new 5 series just coming out have the 8HP75 i think.
    If our esteemed Scotsman has driven a 2 litre 5 series, chances are it had the same box as his XF.

In the Border Reiver

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mentepazza View Post
    Hi all, I wonder what average MPG your Xf return.
    I am very surprised how efficient is the ingenium diesel.
    Done just 170 miles in total but the Trip computer average is 48,7 mpg.
    30% city (Glasgow) 50% motorway and 20% hills.
    It s very impressive to see the instant consumption at motorway speed, 65mpg!
    My previous Xf 2.7d total average was 31,7 mpg. I have never seen more than 38mpg average.
    I do expect 45mpg average with the ingenious diesel.
    Early to say, but looking to know your experience.
    So one minute someone loves the fuel consumption, and the next he is slagging it off.

Whats it to be?
    So firstly we work out the auto boxes in the 5 series are exactly the same, and not different. Now we work out someone cant decide whether to like something or not.

In the Border Reiver

Post Thanks / Like
    To stick on topic, and to agree with Mentepazza: Just looked again at interior shots of the E Pace, and very very underwhelming. But I suspect thats like all the premium marques. Once you go down in size and price too much, you cant afford to make it your typical type of car.
    Its the way of the world nowadays. BMW and Mercedes have been fighting down the bottom for ages. The 1 series for example. All to try and sell more cars. The E Pace is similar. Its to sell vehicles, not to give you a typical Jag.

In the Border Reiver

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry mentepazza, but you must be driving a different car from me. I have just p/x my 2013 XF 2.2 for a 2017 XF 2.0 awd sport, I consider in my humble opinion that though the previous XF was a great car the current model is a far better car. I have driven both 5 series and Mercedes E class and without doubt I know which car I most look forward to driving. I have also looked at several you tube videos testing the XF against the aforementioned E class and 5 series and testing both in the USA and Europe and all without exception praise the XF for its handling and refinement.
    I am not blind to its shortcomings. There are some questionable plastics used in the lower door casings. But I am willing to forgive that because the overall car is in so many ways a great car

Post Thanks / Like
    Never driven any of these cars Airman but I have to say that both BMW and Mercedes seem to have lost their way in the styling
    department , the 5 series is totally anonymous and Mercedes just seem to be intent on stretching the Brand to its limits .
    Its great to here ALL of you blokes opinions

Post Thanks / Like
    Interiors are very subjective. Just looked at the brochure of the epace and I must say I like it. You pays your money and takes your choice. Incidentally my wife has a Nissan Leaf, a nearly £30000 electric car, if you want to see ugly and cheap plastics in one package take a look, but it is cheap to run and Nissan are giving sweetheart deals on the current model

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Airman240 View Post
    Sorry mentepazza, but you must be driving a different car from me. I have just p/x my 2013 XF 2.2 for a 2017 XF 2.0 awd sport, I consider in my humble opinion that though the previous XF was a great car the current model is a far better car. I have driven both 5 series and Mercedes E class and without doubt I know which car I most look forward to driving. I have also looked at several you tube videos testing the XF against the aforementioned E class and 5 series and testing both in the USA and Europe and all without exception praise the XF for its handling and refinement.
    I am not blind to its shortcomings. There are some questionable plastics used in the lower door casings. But I am willing to forgive that because the overall car is in so many ways a great car
    You arrive from a 2.2 transit van engine. No wonder you feel the 2.0 ingenium is a better engine. It's shocking if you come from a V6 diesel like my previous XF.And it's more shocking if you drive a 2.0 engine bmw 5 series g30. And so far, the gearbox is not the same.
    Comparison with Merc audi and Bmw, all the magazines agree the Xf is a step behind in terms of infotainment and interior quality perceived. No discussion about the excellent handling quality. The 5 series match the handling quality of the XF and offer a better premium quality perceived inside the cabin and a much vbettere riding quality.

Back to the E-PAce, I have been invited to the showroom presentation of the E-Pace. I confirm it's a branding product, noting to do with Jaguar. Interior poor quality, same as a Korean Hyundai or Kia.
    I am sure they will sell many, but it doesn't worth the money they are asking for. It's probably an excellent second hand car to buy after 2/3 years from new. You get the same quality of a Kia, except the Jaguar's badge.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast