Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Jaguar E-Pace... Anyone got one / driven one or ordered one yet?

Post Thanks / Like
    Transit engine is the PUMA 2.2 as shared with the X-Type, Jaguar XF 2.2 uses a PSA DW12. Two different engines entirely.

I've seen the E-Pace, looked decent in person. Prefer the F-Pace for size though if I was going for an SUV. I do like the F-Type inspired dash in the E-Pace, not sure how the screen will be with glare with the angle of it though.
    Current Car:
    2017 XE R-Sport 25t 250Ps 18MY.

Previous Cars:
    2000 S-Type 3.0L SE Auto
    2004 X-Type 3.0L AWD SE Auto estate.
    2007 XK x150 4.2L Coupe

Resident Super Moderator.
    V6 X-Type Oil Sump Replacement Guide

2. Likes Airman240 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentepazza, beats me why you have a Jaguar, I have read many of your posts and all you seem to do is criticise and slag off the cars. You do seem to have an serious issue. Why did you buy the XF with the 2.0 litre unit? For your information I bought an XF with a 2.2 and 2.0 litre engines because they were best suited for me. I don't expect to get the same refinement as a V6 diesel but nevertheless they are both adequate engines and in the case of the Ingenium engine a very nice unit. As someone else has pointed out the 2.2 engine in the XF is a PSA unit not the engine that was in the transit.
    As for the epace, although I haven't seen it in the flesh, the pictures I have seen of both the interior and exterior, makes the car look very desirable.
    If it, as you claim, has a poor interior with shoddy and poor quality quality materials, I will reserve judgement until I have seen it myself.
    Go buy a Mercedes or a BMW if you think Jaguar is so poor.

Post Thanks / Like
    First-world problems! All these products are pretty good. We buy what we feel suits us at the time.

The reality is that there is very little quality difference these days. The problem is that a "Hyundai" or a "Kia", once thought of as cheap and tacky, are almost as good as the premium stuff (but still somewhat cheaper). Go and sit in one, drive one, compare it with the equivalent Jaguar or Mercedes and if you look at it in the cold light of day, you would be hard pushed to notice where the extra money went. The premium stuff have a wider choice of high-tech options, but that just makes them even more expensive!

However, in real terms, the premium brands are not as expensive compared to disposable income as they used to be so it is only natural that the quality gap has closed too. At the end of the day, people buy what they like. Choice is important and we don't always have to have the "best-scoring" car. These days, 3rd best will often do if it has the looks, or "character" that we want. I would happily have a Jaguar over a Merc or a BMW even though the Jaguar is almost always beaten in group tests because I like them.

If Jaguar did not exist, I would certainly not be unhappy with a Merc or a Lexus (or a Hyundai actually). When you disect that opinion, it appears ridiculous - complaining about the differences between top quality products. So we are back to square one - first-world problems. A bit embarassing really when the world is in such a mess today.
    Last edited by Neilr; 21-11-17 at 13:45.
    S-Type 3.0 Manual MY2001 in Pacific Blue with Cashmere Leather Sport Seats, Sunroof, Melbourne Alloys, Premium Sound plus some other stuff ... 55k miles.
    XKR 5.0 Speed Pack MY2011 in Polaris White with Ivory/Charcoal Leather, Nevis Alloys and R-Performance Interior plus some other stuff ... 16k miles.
    FIAT Coupe MY1997 in Steel Grey with Tan Leather ... 55k miles.

5. Likes Airman240 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Been comparing the E-Pace with my year old Mitsubishi ASX ZC-M-DI-D, and quite frankly believe that the E-Pace is way over priced for what it is, as indeed are many of Jaguar base Models and not so base models are these days.
    No doubt it may be a little more refined in some areas, (or is it) but that does not justify such a huge price difference in my humble opinion. The ASX Model I have has a very good specification and equals that of the E-Pace in many areas, so it becomes very difficult to justify the Jaguar level of pricing. Yes I would expect to pay more for the Jaguar but must say I would draw the line at the current price difference between the 2 vehicles.
    Regards,
    Telfer.
    Last edited by telferstr; 23-11-17 at 20:13.
    Mitsubishi ASX as of 31st Dec 2016. Volvo V40 which Replaced my 2005 Jaguar S-Type after nearly 10 years ownership on 25th May 2016, has now gone.

7. Likes reddiesel liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The situation is that the vast majority of people buy brands not products. How many people who want a posh badge will cross-shop with the standard brands. If you have 35k to spend on a car, one will typically try and achieve the highest level of visibility (status) and not necessarily buy the best machine. When was the last time you saw a comparison test between a top KIA and a bottom Mercedes with a Renault engine costing about the same?

Historically, the expensive manufacturers' cars were better built and so more expensive and hence "Posh". Now marketing drives the world and image created the brands from the manufacturer's. Engineering has converged - all cars are made the same way with components from the same suppliers. The difference between products is much smaller. However, the desire to have something not everyone else has is still there and most people will pay for it if they can. Most people aren't petrol heads or keen drivers. The absolute ability of the machine is of secondary importance to most.

When the F-Pace came out, I though it was rather nice for an SUV. It looks good, drives well and is, at least here, quite rare. It's Mercedes counterpart at least in price is the GLC and that is also a nice car. I think the Jaguar is better but there is not really much in it for the average buyer. However, compare a basic 4wd GLC or F-Pace with the non-premium competition and the gap appears small. Build quality, interior materials, performance, economy, they are all frighteningly similar. The price differential is sometimes massive though. If you are willing to drive a car non-premuim badge, then the rest of the trade-offs are minor. Luckily for the Jaguars and the Mercedes of this world, people want the badge more and are willing to pay for it, which is in the end good as it means there is a choice.

Offer me the keys of our Tuscon or an F-Pace, I would take the F-Pace all day long. Asked to pay the extra for the Jaguar for a workhorse car, my wallet just could not agree! However, I have two Jaguars so having the badge was irrelevant for me. If it was my only car, would I have been more swayed by the status of the Jaguar ... who knows.

So, yes, premium sector cars are more expensive than non-premium sector cars but not totally because of the engineering. We have to decide whether the pull of owning something a little special outweighs the price premium when all cars are so competent and well built these days.
    Last edited by Neilr; 24-11-17 at 11:05.
    S-Type 3.0 Manual MY2001 in Pacific Blue with Cashmere Leather Sport Seats, Sunroof, Melbourne Alloys, Premium Sound plus some other stuff ... 55k miles.
    XKR 5.0 Speed Pack MY2011 in Polaris White with Ivory/Charcoal Leather, Nevis Alloys and R-Performance Interior plus some other stuff ... 16k miles.
    FIAT Coupe MY1997 in Steel Grey with Tan Leather ... 55k miles.

9. Likes Ian D liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    My local dealer still hasn't got the new epace. Anyone seen one yet or know when it will be available?

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes I’ve seen one, I liked the F-Type inspired dash and the little details such as the Est 1935 Coventry tags on the seats. It’s available to order now, first delivery’s will be around Feb/March 18.
    Current Car:
    2017 XE R-Sport 25t 250Ps 18MY.

Previous Cars:
    2000 S-Type 3.0L SE Auto
    2004 X-Type 3.0L AWD SE Auto estate.
    2007 XK x150 4.2L Coupe

Resident Super Moderator.
    V6 X-Type Oil Sump Replacement Guide

Post Thanks / Like
    I was told that the dealers would have them by December 17th. We went to a pre launch viewing at our local dealership last month for a look, play and a fiddle and SWMBO approved, which is the important thing seeing as it'll be her car.
    We were given a build date is 21/12 for ours but that's been put back to mid January for some reason the wife didn't share with me so we're expecting delivery as Ian said above some time mid February to March.

Having now seen the actual car and spent a fair amount of time fiddling with it I think I'm inclined to disagree with this statement.

Quote Originally Posted by mentepazza
    I confirm it's a branding product, noting to do with Jaguar. Interior poor quality, same as a Korean Hyundai or Kia...... You get the same quality of a Kia, except the Jaguar's badge.
    Like the X Type that's allegedly a Mondeo in disguise, if it looks like a duck, sounds like a duck, etc...
    Shadow Grey 2007 2.0D called Jerry (Garcia - A Touch of Grey) and occasionally a black Jeep Patriot (hers) which is actually quite good....
    Soon to be replaced by a spanking new silver E-Pace

13. Likes reddiesel, Ian D liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think Vigo what the opposition have this Market pretty well covered and as Neil says above , the vast majority buy Brands rather
    than Products so I suppose the real question is one of the Premium for the E Pace being justified or not .
    At the moment I would agree with Telfer though I can't wait to hear your opinions and thoughts once you take delivery .

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567