Thread: Value of a MK2? ...

Post Thanks / Like

Value of a MK2? ...

I live in Cape Town, South Africa and have I've been approached with an option to buy this 1962 MK2 3.8 auto - the owner says he's looking for close to R 280 000 which in UK BPS is @ £ 16 000 - cars are considerably more expensive here especially classics as there's just so many fewer floating around than in the Northern climes - but anyone give me an opinion on what it might be worth in the UK?

Many thanks in advance - much appreciated
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2754.JPG   IMG_2742.JPG   IMG_2743.JPG   IMG_2745.JPG   IMG_2746.JPG  

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Deej, As with all things the car is only worth as much as someone is willing to pay. Do not get caught up with what cars are advertised for as this is how much the owner wants not what the buy eventually pays. Having said that, it is very difficult to value a car without seeing it and driving it. Jaguars have a tendency to rot so you need to get underneath and have a good poke around with a screw drivers searching for the rust. Areas to beware of are the sills in front of the drivers door. Sills right through the car. The middle of the back door where they have a tendency to rot from the inside out due to the rain getting down past the rubber window seals. Rear wheel arches which are double skinned so again can rot from the inside out. The crows feet which are the sections under the front wing below the front lights which hold the front wing on. Under the front side light itself on top of the wing and the front wheel arches. Also check behind the battery as when you open the bonnet any water on the bonnet slides down the back of the battery where there is a felt insulation pad and this retains the water and rots out the bulkhead. Check the floors and the wheel well in the boot. A car kept in a warm climate is less likely to have rust but unless you know the history of the car you have to be careful. Buyer beware is the old adage. £16000 sounds a fair price for a 1962 wide bumper Mk2 even in the UK as they are advertised from as little as £12000 right up to over £35000. This is all dependent on the condition of the car, its history and any provenance it might have. Also the engine size. The 2.4 automatic fetches a lot less than the desirable 3.8 with manual gearbox and overdrive.
    Hope this helps.
    Rob.C.
    1968 Jaguar S Type 3.4 Auto Old English white
    2006 X type SE 2.0d Estate
    1966 Ford Anglia 1760 X flow
    1993 Yamaha FJ1200
    1952 Alvis TA21 Red and Silver
    2012 Old English Sheep Dog White and Grey

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi there - thanks so much for the pointers - busy doing my homework this side and then I'll need to hop on a plane to get to Durban to take a close look if I think it's a good bet - I'll let you know how I get on - and thanks once again - much appreciated.