Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1999 Vanden Plas new owner: First Week

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Red,
    We don't see many of this vintage, but there are a few around. Over the last several years we have had waves of severe thunderstorms with hail (thanks to climate change). After some of those lots of older European cars start showing up on the used lots, auctioned off as total losses by the insurance companies because the hail damage repairs would cost more than 75% of average market value. Ours is one of these. There are perhaps a half dozen similar age models with dent repairs and cheap paint jobs sitting in local car lots now. It doesn't show in the pictures, but ours has a failing clear coat and needs another paint job. But it was a well loved, maintained, garage kept low mileage car in very good condition for its age otherwise.
    I see a surprising number of newer model Jags on the streets though. They started to get more popular when they included all routine maintenance costs for the warranty period in the price.
    But BMW has its North American manufacturing plant a few miles down the road, so this is a BMW town when it comes to European models.
    Most Jags of this general vintage sell for less than $6000 on the used market. Ours was only $3800. With all the major interval service items done we will have about $8k in her. Many would not spend the purchase price of an old car to maintain it properly figuring it isn't worth the money.
    But I look at like I can drive a fine luxury touring car in sound condition for less than 15% of the cost of a new one. Low taxes, no debt payments, and ready to roll for the next 100,000 miles. I've always bought older interesting cars and put the second 100k miles on them. Even with the service costs, the total cost per mile is less than half the cost of new ones when one considers depreciation, interest, taxes, etc. in addition to normal maintenance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for that , I find it really interesting about the hail damage repair costs , failing clear coat is a pretty common
    occurrence over here and can be found on any panel especially the boot lid and even the roof , unfortunately its a total
    respray job to remedy properly and sadly owing to economics people seldom bother to address it .

Post Thanks / Like
    Checking on repair progress this afternoon. Hopefully the Jag will be ready by end of day tomorrow if things go smoothly. If not it will be Monday. Everything is ready for installation of the new chain kit in the morning.

Post Thanks / Like
    Got our Jag back today. We were terrifyingly close to potential major engine disaster with the old chain tensioners. So relieved we caught it in time. I'll post some pics of the old parts tomorrow.

Post Thanks / Like
    So here is a photo of the old chain tensioners and guides as they came out of the engine. Left and right lower tensioner guides, Left and right upper tensioners. All were coming apart. The right side upper nylon shoe had broken at one end and was only held in place by chain tension. Both had cracked bodies. Closer to disaster than I wanted to come.

6. Thanks reddiesel thanked for this post
    Likes reddiesel liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    We celebrated with a Sunday picnic cruise with friends down the Blue Ridge Parkway through Pisgah National forest. Did a loop from Brevard over to Asheville North Carolina and back.

8. Thanks reddiesel thanked for this post
    Likes reddiesel, Ashanti liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great thread, even greater car, you really have a looker on your hands.

I suspect the bullet dodged was more of a howitzer shell judging by the images.

Which model is this exactly, I can see the leapers face on the steering wheel and Jaguar on the cam covers but, the fluted radiator grill used to be reserved for Daimlers.

A trip into North Carolina? one of my work colleagues is from that very state. She his here studying at Leeds University, all matters royalty between the 16th & 18th centuries and as part of that, lecturing the same.

Pity she's a 49ers fan, we had a little £1 bet last year on who'd win the most between them and my team the New Orleans Saints, looks like she's gonna lose again this year.

I'll find out on Saturday just whereabouts in NC she and her partner Toni are from.

Looking forward to reading more of your journey with the old girl in the months to come,

Rich
    Silentum Sicarius

Born 24 November 2005
    Jaguar Super V8 LWB in Midnight Black with Ivory
    All options except Sunroof. Lambswool Overmats are MIA
    Longlife Exhaust - Rear Silencers Removed
    Nextbase 412GW Dashcam for the idiots in front of me
    Nextbase 312GW Dashcam for the idiots behind

My Showroom Thread

2000 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 ES Td5
    A 7 seat, go anywhere family bus that keeps on going
    Now MOT'd till 30/09/18

10. Likes reddiesel liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    They don't have Daimlers is America. But instead Vanden Plas or VP
    XJR 2001 Pacific Blue
    Range Rover Sport 2005 Red 2.7 TD

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Rich,

Our Jag is a 1999 XJ8LWB Vanden Plas. It was the top of the US line for the normally aspirated versions that year. We were lucky to get a low mileage locally owned car.
    If it hadn't been for the water pump bearings getting noisy we might not have taken it in in time and wound up with an expensive lawn ornament.
    Overall the car is in remarkably good condition for its age.
    The quality of my daily commute has improved beyond measure.
    Suzy gets the Jag on Friday's to take her sisters and her 95 year old mom on a picnic outing and on days she needs to take her mom on errands.
    It is remarkable how light and well balanced this big car feels on the road. So well balanced that it feels like it pivots around your butt like a tutu on a ballet dancer.
    Your signature lines about the dash cams remind of a comedian's rant on other drivers: "Anybody who drives slower than me is a blooming idiot. Anybody who drives faster than me is a damned crazy fool!"

Cheers,

Razz

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12