Thread: 1999 Vanden Plas new owner: First Week

Post Thanks / Like

1999 Vanden Plas new owner: First Week

To recap: Suzy and I found a nice low mileage 1999 XJ8 Vanden Plas and brought it home last Saturday. Added a quart of oil to top it off, filled it up with 93 octane high test and went for a drive.
    I've owned other old European cars purchased cheap, mostly German ones. Been in Jeeps for the last 20 years.
    This is my first Jag. It has been a very long time since I have found a car so enjoyable to drive. Quiet, supple, and comfortable like a fine luxury sedan should be, but I still feel as if I'm driving a sports car. It is so responsive.
    At the end of one day after the round trip work commute, Suzy and I went for a short evening drive in the mountains just for the sheer sybaritic pleasure of it.
    Listening to Joni Mitchell and Dave Brubeck on the stereo, until the CD player jammed itself on a disc change. Minor bummer. Found several posts about dealing with that issue on the forum. Easy enough to fix it seems. Weekend project.
    350 miles later we are both still in love with it.
    Today it went to the shop for an oil change, new rear shocks and a thorough scan and eyeball inspection by a factory trained Jag mechanic. The list was blessedly short:
    1. Needs new serpentine belt and two radiator hoses
    2. The front shocks still have some life left in them, but they are on the list for future replacement too.
    3. At only 67000 original miles the cam chain job has probably not been done. We are trying to get the service history from the local dealer that sold it. But we had figured the potential cost of that into our purchase decision anyway.
    The engine is silky smooth, quiet and pulls strong like new. Overall mileage average for the week was 19mpg in mixed town and country driving.
    4. Needs another paint job because the clear coat is failing on the cheap one done for the hail damage repairs.
    So knock on some nicely lacquered burl wood trim I think we lucked out and got a good one. Garage kept and lovingly maintained throughout its life.

2. Likes Lancealot1969 liked this post
    Junior Member Armond Jerome Peroni's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very envious my friend,sounds like you got a good one there,
    put some photo's on so we can all enjoy her.
    My one still turn's heads even after 17 years of English weather(LOL).
    Most time's there's always someone looking round her if I park up somewhere.
    Enjoy your Jaguar
    Take Care
    Armond
    Jaguar XJ8 4.0 Sovereign LWB
    Year 2000
    Hydrogen Fuel Cell Fitted
    113600 Miles
    Colour Metallic Emerald Green,Colour Code HGG

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Armond,

Here are a few pics. Love to hear more about your hydrogen fuel cell installation.

5. Thanks Lancealot1969 thanked for this post
    Junior Member Armond Jerome Peroni's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looks nice XJrazz,here's a link to the Hydrogen Fuel Cell I have fitted,

http://www.hydrogenhybrids.uk.com/

I think some people expect too much gain from products like this,I mean if your running a 4 litre V8 your not going to get 40 to the gallon whatever you do to the engine but I'm sure it helps keep it clean internally as the oil is still a nice amber color after 6000 miles since last oil change and also increases the octane level in the petrol which is not a bad thing either.
    Enjoy your car
    Take Care
    Armond
    Jaguar XJ8 4.0 Sovereign LWB
    Year 2000
    Hydrogen Fuel Cell Fitted
    113600 Miles
    Colour Metallic Emerald Green,Colour Code HGG

Post Thanks / Like
    Suzy day tripped to Charleston yesterday in the Jag. 400+ mile round trip to deliver an oil portrait commission to a client. 70-80mph cruise most of the way. No problems with car. Makes close to 1000 miles we have put on since purchase with nothing more than known normal maintenance issues to address.
    Scheduled maintenance coming up in order:
    1. replace serpentine belt
    2. transmission fluid and filter change
    3. front shocks
    4. timing chain/tensioners upgrade.

Getting an intermittent "stability control failure/abs warning" But it seems to be a rear wheel sensor issue. ABS works fine based on a couple of hard test stops from about 30mph.