Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Car in drastic need of some touch paint

Post Thanks / Like

Car in drastic need of some touch paint

I have an indigo blue 2010 XK convertible and the rear bumper and front end are pretty scratched and in need of tidying up, and I seem to remember reading some people's views on here about not getting their cars re-sprayed.

At the moment I am thinking to get the rear bumber and front end re-sprayed, however, I do have a couple of small chips on both pasenger and drivers doors. An option for the front-end (front bumper) might be to have the stone chip black wrap that you get for cars?

What do other owners think?

Post Thanks / Like
    I would have no hesitation in getting the areas in question resprayed at a reputable coachworks.

I had a small area of corrosion done on mine a year ago, and it is absolutely perfect.
    2006 XK Indigo Blue with Caramel seats and Sable carpets

3. Likes Ian D liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi all.
    I agree with Davericharson best to get it painted by someone who know's what there doing.
    Mine had a small bit off corrosion on passengers door bottom near wing was done for me when i got the car made a pigs ear off that and can see on both front doors where they have been sprayed before you need to find a expert not a so called expert.
    65mike.
    Jaguar 2007 XK 4.2 Silver 20inch Senta wheels 2008 spec car.
    Former Jaguar 2005 x-type 3.0 with Arden exhaust.
    Ah the joys of jaguar motoring !!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Back in 2012 I had my 2006 XK 4.2 Coupe completely repainted, turning a shabby car into something to be really proud of. The 2014 XKR I own now is currently having a few minor bits and bobs sorted out (leading edges of side skirts, ding in passenger door, scrapes under rear diffuser e.t.c.), and just like last time the bodyshop I am using is Jaguar approved - both by recommendation and certification.

In my opinion the paint on a modern Jaguar is not great and when the time comes I will not hesitate to have further works carried out so my car remains 'something to be really proud of'.
    2014/14 X150 5.0 XK Dynamic R Coupe in Italian Racing Red with Ivory leather and aluminium veneer - 15 June 2017
    previous Jaguars =
    2005/05 X100 4.2 XKR Coupe in Pacific Blue with Cashmere leather - 14 November 2016 to 15 June 2017
    2006/56 X150 4.2 Coupe in Frost Blue, Black leather - 10 June 2011 to 27 July 2013
    2004/54 S Type Sport 2.7 diesel in Radiance Red, Black leather - September 2007 to December 2007

Post Thanks / Like
    Its interesting you talk about Jaguar Approved Paintshops Pete , for cosmetic jobs such as yours Lancaster in Milton Keynes use a Smart Repairer
    who rolls up in a fully equipped Mobile Van , Kerbed Wheels are dealt with in the same way

Post Thanks / Like
    The work on my current XK is both minor and cosmetic, and is limited to the sides and back. I am not touching the front end as the stone chipping is quite light and liveable with for now, and I am also concerned about making it so good that I become fearful to drive it.

I must admit I was surprised when my local Jaguar Dealer (Stratstone) recommended the bodyshop that does repair work for them as I thought they would take the work themselves. Stratstone's website claims that they have their own repair centres, including Smart repairs, but when I phoned the number I got through to Evans Halshaw - and I don't want Evans Halshaw working on this car hence the visit to the Stratstone showroom.

I suspect the Stratstone's receptionist should have taken my details rather than give me the details of the bodyshop they use, and it appears to me that the Jaguar Approved bodyshops are mostly independent.
    2014/14 X150 5.0 XK Dynamic R Coupe in Italian Racing Red with Ivory leather and aluminium veneer - 15 June 2017
    previous Jaguars =
    2005/05 X100 4.2 XKR Coupe in Pacific Blue with Cashmere leather - 14 November 2016 to 15 June 2017
    2006/56 X150 4.2 Coupe in Frost Blue, Black leather - 10 June 2011 to 27 July 2013
    2004/54 S Type Sport 2.7 diesel in Radiance Red, Black leather - September 2007 to December 2007

Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting that you say that Pete. I am taking mine to a small independent coachworks that Stratstone use for paintwork on their Jaguars here in Newcastle.
    I was visiting the Newburn Motor Museum, which is truly tiny, when I saw an immaculate XK in Indigo Blue outside, and commented that mine was identical. They told me that they do quite a lot of work for Stratstone Jaguar, though their main purpose is rebuilding historic cars from chassis up.
    The work that they had done on that XK, and on some of the historic cars on display, was absolutely beautiful.
    2006 XK Indigo Blue with Caramel seats and Sable carpets

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pete harrison View Post
    The work on my current XK is both minor and cosmetic, and is limited to the sides and back. I am not touching the front end as the stone chipping is quite light and liveable with for now, and I am also concerned about making it so good that I become fearful to drive it.

I must admit I was surprised when my local Jaguar Dealer (Stratstone) recommended the bodyshop that does repair work for them as I thought they would take the work themselves. Stratstone's website claims that they have their own repair centres, including Smart repairs, but when I phoned the number I got through to Evans Halshaw - and I don't want Evans Halshaw working on this car hence the visit to the Stratstone showroom.

I suspect the Stratstone's receptionist should have taken my details rather than give me the details of the bodyshop they use, and it appears to me that the Jaguar Approved bodyshops are mostly independent.
    As far as I understand it Peter no Jaguar Main Dealer carries a Bodywork Facility and I expect that to be the same with most of the German
    Brands also

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pete harrison View Post
    Back in 2012 I had my 2006 XK 4.2 Coupe completely repainted, turning a shabby car into something to be really proud of. The 2014 XKR I own now is currently having a few minor bits and bobs sorted out (leading edges of side skirts, ding in passenger door, scrapes under rear diffuser e.t.c.), and just like last time the bodyshop I am using is Jaguar approved - both by recommendation and certification.
    I have just picked up the XK from Cleveland Body and Paint, Stockton on Tees and they have done it proud with numerous bits and pieces sorted out for under £600. Added to the list above was the proper fitting of the front splitter, replacement of the passenger side inner door seal and a small amount of machine polishing.

I am now running out of potential improvements, so perhaps ceramic coating of the paintwork could be next as this is very popular with the lads that work for me on their 'daft' cars - and anything that makes cleaning easier can only be good, but is it ?
    Last edited by pete harrison; 15-08-17 at 16:29.
    previous Jaguars =

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a mate who is a Race Mechanic with Williams F1 down at Grove in Oxfordshire , they have recently linked
    up with a Company called Autoprotect in order to tap into this Market and he has it applied to his Gallardo .
    As far as I understand and I have a leaflet somewhere explaining this , the Coating bonds with the pores in
    the paint to form a sort of lacquered finish which is very durable . I think the main benefit is time saving
    and labour . I don't think its for me Pete , I enjoy the ritual of the cleaning process .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast