Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dash cam advice

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Chris. Thanks for the heads up but am aware of the power requirement for the dash cam . Its not an cigarette lighter powered type dashcam and no charger is supplied. It is designed to have a 12v Switched and a 12v Constant feed hard wired supply into car circuit. and switch off after a minute or so after switching off the ignition . Have a look at Hiltons post and video. The constant feed is to switch it on in case of car being hit while parked, a G sensor . It is the latest generation cam with no battery and is powered by A Super Capacitor which are far more reliable and less likely to go wrong. My Seats definitely stay powered up for at least ten minutes or more . The sockets definitely switch from 12 v to 7.8 when the ignition is switched off. I will test today for exactly how long the seats and sockets stays live . As you say I dont ant it to continue running and run battery flat.
    The secret of flight is to aim at the ground and miss !

2013 Sportbrake 2.2 Sport. Italian Racing Red

Post Thanks / Like
    You need to lock the car to see what stays live and what goes dead

Post Thanks / Like
    Finally got it all up and running. I took the switched live from the acc power socket wiring in the center console and a constant live from the fuse box in the foot well,both feeds fused at 3 amp . I checked it by connecting a meter that could be seen when car is locked . The switched live shuts down after about 30 seconds of locking car. The seats adjustment stays live. I sat inside with it locked for ten mins and seats still worked. I then connected a meter across the feed and left it while I had lunch and it was still live so must be a permanent live.The switched circuits that show a voltage of 7.8 when ignition is switched off will drop to zero after a few minutes or instantly if a simple circuit tester is connected to them,very confusing.
    The secret of flight is to aim at the ground and miss !

2013 Sportbrake 2.2 Sport. Italian Racing Red

Post Thanks / Like
    Its odd that there are differences. On my 2011 the accessory sockets (all 3) go dead as soon as the car is locked. Not 30 seconds later like yours.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123