Thread: Re-Mapping

Post Thanks / Like

Re-Mapping

Hello,
    I'm after some advice and guidance please, as I'm sure there are other owners who have looked into the options available to them.
    I'm think for getting my car remapped but unsure of which route to go down.
    If I were to choose the option where my ECU is benched tuned or mapped VIA the OBD port then this would be permanent option, which I could live with.
    My other option is to have a plug in module (Raceways) which doesn't require the ECU to be touched and just changes the output from the ECU and I can unplug this at anytime and put the car back to standard.

Has anyone looked into or even installed any of the above options, and if so what are you thoughts on this.

Cheers

AG
    2011 Jaguar XJ 3.0d Premium Luxury SWB Met Blue Ivory leather

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Gibbs View Post
    Hello,
    I'm after some advice and guidance please, as I'm sure there are other owners who have looked into the options available to them.
    I'm think for getting my car remapped but unsure of which route to go down.
    If I were to choose the option where my ECU is benched tuned or mapped VIA the OBD port then this would be permanent option, which I could live with.
    My other option is to have a plug in module (Raceways) which doesn't require the ECU to be touched and just changes the output from the ECU and I can unplug this at anytime and put the car back to standard.

Has anyone looked into or even installed any of the above options, and if so what are you thoughts on this.

Cheers

AG

Hi

Yes I fitted a Racechip Pro2 recently. It connects to the fuel rail. At first I didn't think it made a big difference but after a few drives it's almost like the car is learning new settings. I can say that the car is much smoother and mid end grunt has increased. Mpg hasn't changed much but I'm happy with the purchase.Granted probably not as good as a proper remap but I don't fancy having the ECU out to modify before it can be remapped.

Hope that helps.

conor

Post Thanks / Like
    Any system that messes with the sensors, and without remapping the ECU is unlikely to give medium term gains, as the engine learns that the messed around with sensor has been, well, messed around with. This is more the case with petrols, but also impacts modern diesels as well.
    2010 XJ Portfolio running on lorry fuel. I know, Jag Diesel is just wrong!

Post Thanks / Like
    These pug in tuning boxes can and do shorten the life of a DPF they over fuel to give improvements on power

but over fuelling on a diesel will cause it to smoke but you wont see it as the DPF will catch it all but by doing so it will shorten its life
    S TYPE R 2003
    BMW M3 EVOLUTION 1998
    You can not beat me in a argument
    I am too stupid to know when I am beaten

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah I've always been tempted by them on paper, nice mpg gains, big bhp gains, can never bring myself to trust and buy one though, proper engine specific remap is the only way imo.
    XJ X351, XJR X350, S-Type 2.7D Sport, XJR X308, X-Type 2.5 Sport, XJ X300 Sport

Post Thanks / Like
    I kind of have a related question. I just got my 2011 XJ Supersport and, despite reading otherwise in several reviews, my throttle response seems to be rather sluggish. Not much happens until I really depress the pedal in automatic mode.

Others have complained about it being twitchy (in their reviews of presumably new cars), which I actually like, but now it seems very comfort oriented. Even more so than my 4.2 N/A XK.

This is also the case in dynamic and/or sport mode. Fact is, I do not really notice much difference with the dynamic mode activated. Manual mode works fine and I am sure I have all 510 ponies in place.

So, can you reset any adaptive/learned gearbox/ECU configs to allow for a more tire-chirpy drive in automatic mode? If so, how?
    Last edited by Giffox; 13-10-17 at 11:47.