Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Grand Tour series 2 trailer

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by twostrokekid View Post
    It's worth a watch but unfortunately its just Clarkson at his Jaguar-knocking anti-British car mentality worst (and to further rub in his hatred of the British motor industry he starts off by quoting how good Audi and BMW sales figures are compared to Jaguar...........yawn). It's very easy to deliberately choose some worn out old cars that have been doctored by the film crew with very obvious defects and then set about taking the mickey by watching them fail.

An interesting but somewhat predictable Clarkson production, with cars being smashed up and driven over cliff edges. I just wonder whether the F Type they use for the celebrity face-off has been donated by Jaguar and, if so, how they reconcile this backstabbing love/hate two faced relationship?
    They couldn’t understand why the figures are so low, they weren’t taking the mick out of them. They also did a British manufacturing special on Top Gear and all drove Jaguars. Jaguars have featured in a lot of episodes in the past, diesel run to Blackpool for one. All 3 have and Hammond still does own a Jaguar himself.

Any advertising is good advertising, an almost complete hour on Jaguar. £55k for that 2.0 F-Type, over 11 episodes it’s so much cheaper than an ad campaign and gets seen all over the world too. Makes financial sense.

They have taken the mickey over the German cars in the past on Top Gear too.
    Current Car:
    2017 XE R-Sport 25t 250Ps 18MY.

Previous Cars:
    2000 S-Type 3.0L SE Auto
    2004 X-Type 3.0L AWD SE Auto estate.
    2007 XK x150 4.2L Coupe

Resident Super Moderator.
    V6 X-Type Oil Sump Replacement Guide

2. Likes payno, Ashanti, JimC64 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian D View Post
    They couldn’t understand why the figures are so low, they weren’t taking the mick out of them. They also did a British manufacturing special on Top Gear and all drove Jaguars. Jaguars have featured in a lot of episodes in the past, diesel run to Blackpool for one. All 3 have and Hammond still does own a Jaguar himself.

Any advertising is good advertising, an almost complete hour on Jaguar. £55k for that 2.0 F-Type, over 11 episodes it’s so much cheaper than an ad campaign and gets seen all over the world too. Makes financial sense.

They have taken the mickey over the German cars in the past on Top Gear too.
    Very much agree with that Ian plus is no good looking at Jaguars past with rose tinted glasses there reliability record in the past was terrible (like the rest of the British car industry ) thank god it got better in the 90s
    S TYPE R 2003
    BMW M3 EVOLUTION 1998
    You can not beat me in a argument
    I am too stupid to know when I am beaten

4. Likes Ian D, Jimbov8, Ashanti, JimC64 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Clarkson has been a huge Jag fan over the years going back to reviewing the 6.0l XJS and jokingly interrupting his piece by calling into petrol stations every few miles.
    Those of us who have had Jaguars going back to the dark ages know that reliability and build quality where not the reason why we fell in love with them and the recent GT piece was a fair reflection of the Cars from that period.

6. Likes Ian D liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    While I can understand the points you guys are making (I am also a Jaguar fan), there is actually such a thing as bad publicity. What Clarkson is doing by constantly harping on about historic problem cars is reinforcing the negative stereotype surrounding Jaguar cars. Only the other day a mate of mine, who has just bought a new Audi, said he wasn’t interested in Jaguar because “they are so unreliable, aren’t they?” No doubt after watching this latest episode he will feel justified in his purchase.

Post Thanks / Like
    Everybody knows the new Jags are very reliable according to the relevant surveys. SOme of the very best Top Gear features have been on Jags old and new and there is an old saying that there is no such thing as bad publicity.

9. Likes Ian D liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Enjoyed last nights show even the Stars in the Car things with Joshua and some huge Amercian wasn't too painful.
    The good piece was on the Rally Cars of the early 80's and the rivalry between Audi and Lancia, lots of shenanigans going on including Lancia salting the roads in advance of their Cars.

11. Likes Ian D liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just watched it, the Lancia vs Audi piece was brilliant. On par with season 1 Ford GT vs Ferrari Le Mans piece.
    Current Car:
    2017 XE R-Sport 25t 250Ps 18MY.

Previous Cars:
    2000 S-Type 3.0L SE Auto
    2004 X-Type 3.0L AWD SE Auto estate.
    2007 XK x150 4.2L Coupe

Resident Super Moderator.
    V6 X-Type Oil Sump Replacement Guide

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian D View Post
    Just watched it, the Lancia vs Audi piece was brilliant. On par with season 1 Ford GT vs Ferrari Le Mans piece.
    Its the way forward for me lengthier in depth pieces about past battles.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12