Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: XK Mondeo

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=simpo3;1050126]I'd previously done this from home and e-mailed the resulting choice to Chiltern for advice as to the best one. From the list they recommended Mobil Super 3000 X1 Formula FE 5W-30, and they had it in store so that's what I got. The in-store gadget did the same.

That's the oil I used on my last oil change, and perfectly satisfied with it.
    Thanks Ashanti for the tip about Fords own oil, this is a good bit cheaper than the Mobil oil and the same spec.

I am due oil change in January so will use this.

Good tips again from a good forum...........................................IP
    2006 3.0Ltr. S type ..... Radiance Red Metallic, Chrome grille complete with Red and Black S Type Growler badge, fully loaded.
    Hands free smartphone connected successfully thanks to members of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Irish Pappy;1050151]
    Quote Originally Posted by simpo3 View Post
    I'd previously done this from home and e-mailed the resulting choice to Chiltern for advice as to the best one. From the list they recommended Mobil Super 3000 X1 Formula FE 5W-30, and they had it in store so that's what I got. The in-store gadget did the same.

That's the oil I used on my last oil change, and perfectly satisfied with it.
    Thanks Ashanti for the tip about Fords own oil, this is a good bit cheaper than the Mobil oil and the same spec.

I am due oil change in January so will use this.

Good tips again from a good forum...........................................IP
    My pleasure IP,

The last 20L I bought from Ford direct cost me £79 delivered, the same price it is today.

You might be luckier, but a visit to my local Ford parts department had me leaving with a flea in my ear,

Price match, Sir? what's that?

Naturally if you or anyone else can get the recommended Castrol for £4 a litre, stick with it

This is a great forum, isn't it

Rich
    Silentum Sicarius

Born 24 November 2005
    Jaguar Super V8 LWB in Midnight Black with Ivory
    All options except Sunroof. Lambswool Overmats are MIA
    Longlife Exhaust - Rear Silencers Removed
    Nextbase 412GW Dashcam for the idiots in front of me
    Nextbase 312GW Dashcam for the idiots behind

My Showroom Thread

2000 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 ES Td5
    A 7 seat, go anywhere family bus that keeps on going
    Now MOT'd till 30/09/18

3. Likes Ian D liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Ashanti;1050155]
    Quote Originally Posted by Irish Pappy View Post

My pleasure IP,

The last 20L I bought from Ford direct cost me £79 delivered, the same price it is today.

You might be luckier, but a visit to my local Ford parts department had me leaving with a flea in my ear,

Price match, Sir? what's that?

Naturally if you or anyone else can get the recommended Castrol for £4 a litre, stick with it

This is a great forum, isn't it

Rich

Just rang my local Ford dealer (I'm in the Republic of Ireland) and their price is 25euros (£22.22) for 5litres. A bit more than you pay, but that's about average for here.

The last oil change I used Mobil Super 3000 which cost £31/5ltr. and before that Castrol Magnatec @ £41.25/5ltrs! (Halfords)

Thanks again for the heads up.........................IP
    2006 3.0Ltr. S type ..... Radiance Red Metallic, Chrome grille complete with Red and Black S Type Growler badge, fully loaded.

Post Thanks / Like
    Genuinely don't understand the hating towards the X-type for being based on the Mondeo. The generation of Mondeo it was based on was a multiple award winning car. Most mainstream cars these days are based on something else anyway. I'd far rather have a Ford than most of the supposedly "superior" German stuff on the go these days, considering a Mustang next.

As for oil, I generally go to www.opieoils.co.uk.

6. Likes reddiesel, Ian D liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Irish Pappy;1050185]
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashanti View Post

Just rang my local Ford dealer (I'm in the Republic of Ireland) and their price is 25euros (£22.22) for 5litres. A bit more than you pay, but that's about average for here.

The last oil change I used Mobil Super 3000 which cost £31/5ltr. and before that Castrol Magnatec @ £41.25/5ltrs! (Halfords)

Thanks again for the heads up.........................IP
    IP Castrol only comes in 4lt container's these days
    S TYPE R 2003
    BMW M3 EVOLUTION 1998
    You can not beat me in a argument
    I am too stupid to know when I am beaten

Post Thanks / Like
    I"P Castrol only comes in 4lt container's these days" - Mostly - but I just bought 20L Castrol Magnatec A5 Ford specs and they came in 5L cans. £79 delivered as well...
    2.2d S 2008MY saloon, Chilli Red. 70k on the clock- SUNROOF and all toys except touch scn.

Honda Jazz 1.4 Dsi CVT

SEAT LEON TDI

3L V6 XJ SE -2004 - Radiance Red. 54k on the clock. Sheer driving pleasure.

9. Thanks payno thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=payno;1050450]
    Quote Originally Posted by Irish Pappy View Post

IP Castrol only comes in 4lt container's these days
    Thanks , I knew this, but as we were talking about other brands prices for 5 litres I calculated what the Castrol would cost for 5 litres.
    I have to buy more than 5 litres as my engine takes 6.5 litres. I didn't check yet if the Ford oil comes in a 2 itre bottle as well

Happy days........................IP

11. Likes payno liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 8bit View Post
    Genuinely don't understand the hating towards the X-type for being based on the Mondeo. The generation of Mondeo it was based on was a multiple award winning car. Most mainstream cars these days are based on something else anyway.
    Indeed, I hear the Bentley Bentayga is basically an Audi.

When I had an S-Type the bloke at the garage had a 'haha-told-you-so' snigger every time he found a part with a Ford logo on it. As you say, it is rather silly (and rude and pointless).

13. Likes Irish Pappy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    It almost amounts to a form of snobbery at times , this sort of behaviour . I think for many the concept of Ford both owning
    Jaguar and sharing some components with other models was hard to accept . I don't think the press and the Media helped
    much in this regard either , I remember Clarkson pointing out the Ford Ignition Barrel sourced from a Transit .
    Here is the funny thing though , I have never encountered this snobbery with the DB9 which again shares many Ford Items ,
    I don't know why that is ?

Post Thanks / Like
    The order they brought the cars out didn’t help. Had the X type been for sale first it would have ‘lifted’ the mondeo as it would be based on a jag, but instead the premium product became based on the cheap one and as such gets a slagging. Audi’s get away with it all the time being really just posh Skoda/vw but we have all forgotten what order they came out in!
    2009 XK60 4.2 in black
    (Gone:TR7, TR8, MR2mk1, MR2mk2, MX6, FTO, TTmk1, TTmk2)

16. Likes reddiesel, Ian D liked this post
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast