Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: XK Mondeo

Post Thanks / Like
    Coupes always had a short shelf-life and the FIAT ran for about 7 years, which is all one would expect. The newest ones are about 17 years old now, so one would not really expect to see many. It still turns heads though when it is clean Most people don't know what it is.

The TT was eventually a success story for Audi but the early ones were ill-handling death-traps. I expect if the Japanese, French or Italians had made it, the press would have crucified them.

Most affordable coupes almost died out as SUVs became the fashion statement of the moment, and a long moment it has been too!

My FIAT is like a favourite sweat shirt. I use it in the winter and to get to work and it still a nice place to be and is nice to drive. Needs a bit of work now, nothing serious but one has to find the time (but there is a bit of rust so it does not look like new anymore). I have been saying for the last 10 years or so that I probably should replace it for something newer but I still have it. Lets see how it fares at the next TüV test in March and then see
    S-Type 3.0 Manual MY2001 in Pacific Blue with Cashmere Leather Sport Seats, Sunroof, Melbourne Alloys, Premium Sound plus some other stuff ... 55k miles.
    XKR 5.0 Speed Pack MY2011 in Polaris White with Ivory/Charcoal Leather, Nevis Alloys and R-Performance Interior plus some other stuff ... 16k miles.
    FIAT Coupe MY1997 in Steel Grey with Tan Leather ... 55k miles.

2. Thanks reddiesel thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by reddiesel View Post
    Fascinating to hear all this information Woody , I didn't know any of it and I am glad I got the singular engine size aspect
    right as I was speaking purely from memory . I never owned one but I find them beautiful little cars , it annoys me when I
    notice one on the road obviously not looked after though having said that , there are still some nice ones out there .
    Looking back , this trend for retro cars was a strange phase in British Motoring , the Mini , the S Type then of course we had
    the Foreign Ownership of BMW and Ford and their respective takes on what a modern Rover and Jaguar should be , they all
    went for safety rather than anything revolutionary , in fact right up to the Aluminium Construction of the X150 and the X350
    I'm fortuate in being an industry insider - having been a vehicle designer for thirty years. As well as that I have a brother in Jaguar stability systems, where he's been for a number of years and my best pal's dad was engineering director at the time, also

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Neilr View Post
    Coupes always had a short shelf-life and the FIAT ran for about 7 years, which is all one would expect. The newest ones are about 17 years old now, so one would not really expect to see many. It still turns heads though when it is clean Most people don't know what it is.

The TT was eventually a success story for Audi but the early ones were ill-handling death-traps. I expect if the Japanese, French or Italians had made it, the press would have crucified them.

Most affordable coupes almost died out as SUVs became the fashion statement of the moment, and a long moment it has been too!

My FIAT is like a favourite sweat shirt. I use it in the winter and to get to work and it still a nice place to be and is nice to drive. Needs a bit of work now, nothing serious but one has to find the time (but there is a bit of rust so it does not look like new anymore). I have been saying for the last 10 years or so that I probably should replace it for something newer but I still have it. Lets see how it fares at the next TüV test in March and then see
    The " run out " Coupes were particularly smart Neil as the Model drew close to the end of its life , I remember the adverts
    in the motoring press inevitably in a nice shade of gunmetal and a button start if I remember correctly , the alloy wheels
    on these models were pretty special also , I seem to remember red painted callipers ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 2woody View Post
    I'm fortuate in being an industry insider - having been a vehicle designer for thirty years. As well as that I have a brother in Jaguar stability systems, where he's been for a number of years and my best pal's dad was engineering director at the time, also
    I never tire of hearing from blokes like yourself Woody , IWC is another chap who I believe spent a bit of time
    in the Industry

Post Thanks / Like
    I have one (a Mondeo), myself. If you are going to borrow a platform, it isn't a bad place to start.

Apparently, Jaguar dealerships used to quite readily tell people it was based on the Mondeo platform too. I assume because it was a an award winning design, and therefore not a particularly negative association.

There is no real reason to hate the X type. it enabled people who wouldn't have been able to afford one, to own their first Jag, and for anyone that didn't like it, no one is forcing them to buy one.

Quote Originally Posted by 8bit View Post
    Genuinely don't understand the hating towards the X-type for being based on the Mondeo. The generation of Mondeo it was based on was a multiple award winning car. Most mainstream cars these days are based on something else anyway. I'd far rather have a Ford than most of the supposedly "superior" German stuff on the go these days, considering a Mustang next.

As for oil, I generally go to www.opieoils.co.uk.
    2002 Ford Mondeo 2.0 TdCI Blue
    2006 Jaguar XK (Aluminium) 4.2 Indigo Metallic

Post Thanks / Like
    I didn't own an X-Type but thought it was just right for Jaguar trying to get the upper end of the company car market, coming in at £20K It looked like a small XJ6 so you got all the Jaguar style (inside and out) for half the price.

I used to look at my XF and think - 'if they only gave it a Jaguar 4-headlamp front and lowered the back by a foot it would look like a Jaguar'. It takes many decades to build heritage but only one marketing decision to destroy it.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234