Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving from XF for F-Pace...

Post Thanks / Like

Moving from XF for F-Pace...

Hi All

My beloved XF SV8 is getting on a bit, although has only recently passed 50k miles. While there's plenty life in her yet, things have moved on since she rolled off the production line in 2008, especially from an in-car technology perspective.

I've got a birthday coming up in the spring and have been considering treating myself to a new car. I love the look of the F-Pace and the S version is a front runner. There are some nice examples coming up for ex-demo sale and as I'm not at all fussed about being the first bum on the seat, something a year old would do nicely in terms of price vs age. Me and the kids, 7 and 10 (and even the wife at times) love the outdoor stuff and while the XF had no problems at all cruising through the Lake District during half term, I'm thinking I might actually make use of the more "rural" model, plus I think it looks lovely.

Is the cabin is as roomy as the early XF?
    With the parcel shelf in position, how does the boot compare, practically speaking?
    Are you all happy with yours?
    If anyone has the petrol S, what kind of MPG are you getting, out of interest? That's not a deal breaker as the SV8 goes from 11 in town to no more than 26 on a long cruise.

Also if there are any common teething problems with the new model that I need to make sure have been addressed, that would be good to know too.

Thanks in advance for any real-world nuggets of info, rather than relying on a salesperson for advice!
    Glacier White XJR (2016) 5.0 S/C V8

Previous Jag History...
    Black 2009 XF SV8

Post Thanks / Like
    I currently have an F-Pace as a loan car whilst work is being carried out on the X260 XF

So my impression (based on circa 500 miles) is that its a big cabin although not as good a driving position as in the XF (a more upright chair like seating setup rather than the arm chair one of the XF) and the boot is huge and still very large with the load cover in.

My real world Mpg is around 15-18% lower than the XF (but then it has the aerodynamics of a breeze block and extra weight) which may allow you some comparison with your current drive.

Would I buy one, well it does not fit my needs and the compromise on ride/handling plus actual comfort is a bit to much to take. The latest XF with its extra leg and head room, plus the improved chassis and handling, makes it a noticeably better drive.

Have you considered an X260 XF Sportbrake?

In your position I would be asking for an extended test drive from your chosen Stealer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting comments Mark , I remember when the F Pace initially was introduced some members on here purchased the vehicle ,
    they seemingly have been well pleased and I am genuinely happy for them .
    Its this marketing blurb I had trouble understanding " drives like only a Jaguar can " and to be honest there were many such quotations ,
    my own thoughts were simply that this was a nonsense if only for the laws of Physics if nothing else .
    I have never driven one so thank you for your impressions .

Post Thanks / Like
    I took part in one of the art of performance tours just after the F-Pace was released and it impressed me with how it could drive especially when pushed to the limit. The AWD demonstration was good to see how quickly it could shift power to each wheel and is shown on the display too.

The boot load space is quite substantial at 650 litres with the seats up or 1740 litres with seats down. Compare that to the new XF sport brake of 565 litres seats up and 1700 litres seats down.

If you like in car tech, make sure it comes with the Pro with 10.2” screen and 12.3” LCD instrument panel it’s so much better than the standard incontrol 8” version.
    Current Car:
    2017 XE R-Sport 25t 250Ps 18MY.

Previous Cars:
    2000 S-Type 3.0L SE Auto
    2004 X-Type 3.0L AWD SE Auto estate.
    2007 XK x150 4.2L Coupe

Resident Super Moderator.
    V6 X-Type Oil Sump Replacement Guide

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh there is no doubt its a good car, the one I currently have is the R-Sport which has the firmer suspension setup and large low profile tyres so the ride is much firmer.

Its is 150kg heavier than an XF with a higher C of G so the handling is not nearly as good (but no surprise) even with the sportier setup.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had one as a loaner earlier this year whilst my X358 Sovereign was being serviced. I found the dashboard has a huge amount of information that tended to confuse me, and the steering wheel has more buttons than my shirt ! However one never gets used to a loan car as they are only driven for a short while, (in my case for one day). One thing I did find, being of short stature, was the difficulty in climbing aboard, and it really is like climbing up into a truck ! When I mentioned this on returning the car, the service rep told me one can specify running boards as an option. These can be stood on to make entry and exit easier and would be essential for me, at least. They do cost £500 though !

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the comments. Marks_DTM - interesting call re the sportbrake. To be honest though, I only believe certain cars look nice as estates and though I can't put my finger on it, the XF doesn't strike me as one of them.

I'm still extremely torn. I still haven't settled on what kind of car! The other day I was even looking at some low-mileage F-types, but then I realised that as the wife works 50% of weekends, she would have to take it to work so that I could ferry the ****** kids around in her non-2-seater car! I note with interest Tesla only do AWD versions of their models S and X now and even their bottom of the range S is extremely decent, but I'm not sure I'm ready for full electric yet. The F-Pace is still the front-runner I think. But like it's been said above, I probably need to try and spend some time with one.

Previous Jag History...
    Black 2009 XF SV8

Post Thanks / Like
    I had 2 Sportbrakes and made a huge mistake by moving to a new F pace in July 2016. By November I rejected this car because of an intrusive drive line vibration. I took delivery of an identical model F pace replacement on March 1st 2017 and within 7000 miles this had developed an identical drive line vibration. I am fighting JLR to make me a sensible contribution for me to trade the F pace for a new AWD Sportbrake. JLR have stated in writing that a drive line vibration is a "characteristic of the F pace " and because it is not a safety issue they don't want to know. The unacceptable drive line vibration on the F pace has been reported widely on Jaguar forums and between this and infortainment problems it probably makes this model the most complained about and rejected model at JLR. The drive line vibration comes in at 68 to 72 mph 1715 to 1750 rpm in D8 which is exactly what press reports on the F pace which makes the car very uncomfortable to drive on the motorway. The floor vibrates as does the steering wheel and is accompanied by a droning noise which then disappears as you drive through the vibration band.
    I have had 7 new Jaguars since 2008,and with 2 classic Jaguars in the garage I love My Jags but not the F pace. Don't be tempted to buy an F pace as it has been one of the most troublesome cars Jaguar have designed and produced.
    Last edited by Hydrajaws; 21-12-17 at 22:15.
    2017 F Pace 2.0 AWD PORTFOLIO Odyssey red,Latte ,privacy glass all round,space saver, USA size plates. 2006 4.2 XK Convertable. 1965 Daimler2.5 V8 Saloon.

9. Thanks reddiesel thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Hydrajaws. I've been reading up on the drive line vibration and it seems unbelievable that they'd let them continue off the production line with such an issue. It seems more widespread than I'd originally thought too. Such a shame. It's a lovely vehicle otherwise.

Previous Jag History...
    Black 2009 XF SV8

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hydrajaws View Post
    I had 2 Sportbrakes and made a huge mistake by moving to a new F pace in July 2016. By November I rejected this car because of an intrusive drive line vibration. I took delivery of an identical model F pace replacement on March 1st 2017 and within 7000 miles this had developed an identical drive line vibration. I am fighting JLR to make me a sensible contribution for me to trade the F pace for a new AWD Sportbrake. JLR have stated in writing that a drive line vibration is a "characteristic of the F pace " and because it is not a safety issue they don't want to know. The unacceptable drive line vibration on the F pace has been reported widely on Jaguar forums and between this and infortainment problems it probably makes this model the most complained about and rejected model at JLR. The drive line vibration comes in at 68 to 72 mph 1715 to 1750 rpm in D8 which is exactly what press reports on the F pace which makes the car very uncomfortable to drive on the motorway. The floor vibrates as does the steering wheel and is accompanied by a droning noise which then disappears as you drive through the vibration band.
    I have had 7 new Jaguars since 2008,and with 2 classic Jaguars in the garage I love My Jags but not the F pace. Don't be tempted to buy an F pace as it has been one of the most troublesome cars Jaguar have designed and produced.
    Hi folks. I'm also considering moving from an XF to an F-Pace, so would be interested to know if this "characteristic" affects cars across the entire model range or whether it affects only particular engines/specifications, or indeed is random. My XF was afflicted by a "characteristic" when I bought it second hand. Jaguar still stuck to that line even though they had a fix for the problem. Fortunately the dealer dealt with it, so no harm done but Jaguar's response left a nasty taste which I'd prefer not to experience again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast