Thread: Auto dim rear view mirror no longer dimming

Post Thanks / Like

Auto dim rear view mirror no longer dimming

Now that the nights are drawing in, I've noticed that my internal rear view mirror no longer auto dims. The wing mirrors still dim as normal, which I guess means the interior mirror is at fault. The auto headlights work fine and I would imagine the rain sensor also works, but I haven't driven in the rain since 2006, so I don't know.

The mirror looks normal, just doesn't dim and yes, it is an auto-dimming mirror and it did use to work.

I've seen the auto-dim mirrors can be repaired in the US, but does anyone know of a repairer in the UK or Europe? I'd rather repair my mirror than get one from a scrap yard, or any other suggestions?

Post Thanks / Like
    Nerja - just to be clear ............. the little green LED is on so it's getting power OK ?
    I think there is a company in the US (Sybesma) which will repair faulty mirrors, but I also think that the glass from the mirror on US Honda Acura / Accord may be the same but that's not easy to verify. There's also a suggestion that a Peugeot / Citroen 015904 glass might fit but again, that's based on "something I saw on the internet" so may not be correct.

Got most of that information from this :

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...acement-17719/
    Last edited by DevonDavid; 14-11-17 at 17:08.
    David.
    XK8 Convertible 4.0 - 1997. Aerial switch, boot lid switch, remote key-fob operated hood, & tensioners replaced.

3. Thanks Orthodixie thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    It it switched on? Usual failure is the fluid in the mirror leaking and the mirror going dark. Failure of the mirror to dim sounds electrical. It's very expensive to send to the states even worse to buy a new mirror. The mirror part is the same on XK, XJ but there are two different connectors for the mirror based on which sensors you have. Check it's switch on first
    1998 XKR Convertible, 2004 S-type V8 SE

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DevonDavid View Post
    Nerja - just to be clear ............. the little green LED is on so it's getting power OK ?
    I think there is a company in the US (Sybesma) which will repair faulty mirrors, but I also think that the glass from the mirror on US Honda Acura / Accord may be the same but that's not easy to verify. There's also a suggestion that a Peugeot / Citroen 015904 glass might fit but again, that's based on "something I saw on the internet" so may not be correct.

Got most of that information from this :

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...acement-17719/
    Thanks for the link. Yes, the LED on the mirror is on - it goes off if I use the auto switch on the mirror, and the wing mirrors then don't dim either, so the sensor/electronics are working.

I'm wondering if perhaps there is a connection back to the mirror to tell it to dim from the computer. I will have to get the roof light off to have a look.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by P700DEE View Post
    It it switched on? Usual failure is the fluid in the mirror leaking and the mirror going dark. Failure of the mirror to dim sounds electrical. It's very expensive to send to the states even worse to buy a new mirror. The mirror part is the same on XK, XJ but there are two different connectors for the mirror based on which sensors you have. Check it's switch on first
    Yes, its definitely on.

I might try taking the mirror off and see if there are any tests I can do on it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking at the wiring diagrams it looks like the wing mirrors get their dim signal direct from the rear view mirror - so I don't think it can be any electrical problem external to the rv mirror itself, as the wing mirrors dim without problem.

Post Thanks / Like
    A thing to try. Put your finger on hole around back of mirror and shine a light into the sensor in the front. All 3 should not refuse to dim. I have had individual exterior ones fail but not all 3 therefore Id suggest its a sensor in the mirror itself. Ensure the light on the front is green too before trying it.
    2003 Zircon Blue XKR Convertible.
    It's in the detail.

To see index of "Franks Story" up to 8th March 2017 Please Click Here. Thanks!

Cannot see any photos? PHOTOBUCKET FIX please CLICK HERE FOR SOLUTION

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by frankc View Post
    A thing to try. Put your finger on hole around back of mirror and shine a light into the sensor in the front. All 3 should not refuse to dim. I have had individual exterior ones fail but not all 3 therefore Id suggest its a sensor in the mirror itself. Ensure the light on the front is green too before trying it.
    Thanks Frank. Both wing mirrors dim as normal, its just the internal mirror that doesn't. However I tried shining a torch into the front sensor last night after dark as you suggested and the internal mirror is dimming, just not very much. Without the torch shining directly into the sensor the mirror dims only very slightly (barely noticeable).

I think this indicates the mirror itself is on the way out.

A second hand internal mirror is around £140 - I'm thinking of having the rear window tinted instead.