Thread: timing chain replacement on a 4.2L

Post Thanks / Like

timing chain replacement on a 4.2L

I've removed the head, harmonic balancer and timing cover to replace some gaskets and seals. The timing chains are now easily accessible. Should I change them while I have easy access? I have no idea as to how many miles they've done. Is there an easy way to check the condition of timing chains (when the engine isn't running)?

Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello freoway,

yes they can be checked but it is quite subjective. If you know what a new chain feels like and a worn one then it is possible, if not then not really.

For peace of mind the I would replace them as they are not particularly expensive.

Alec
    2004 2.5 X Type Estate, MK 2 3.8 (Long term restoration), 2.5 P.I. Triumph saloon, 564 Hymer motorhome.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by piman View Post
    Hello freoway,

yes they can be checked but it is quite subjective. If you know what a new chain feels like and a worn one then it is possible, if not then not really.

For peace of mind the I would replace them as they are not particularly expensive.

Alec
    Hi Alec. I think you're on the money. I was surprised how cheap the quality ones were.