Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New owner, teething troubles.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by junglejames View Post
    Thats interesting. Id assumed Jaguar were alone, as ive never experienced it before. My last Skoda never did this, and neither did any previous Tom Toms I had.
    Never assume!

I make a fairly regular trip from Norfolk to Cardiff, via MK, the Cotswolds and down the M50. I know that's not an obvious way but the whole trip isn't my point. There's a pretty obvious route from Morton in Marsh to Evesham, (The A44) then the A46 to the M5. Our SatNavs take us out of MIM on the 429 then across country to the A46 between Evesham and the M5. I guess it's a mile or two shorter but it's a pain of a trip.

I could bore you with other examples, even off that same route.

Anyway, I get my XF on Wednesday, I'll let you know how I think it compares!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PScott543 View Post
    Never assume!
    Ouch, I felt that!!

Quote Originally Posted by PScott543 View Post
    I make a fairly regular trip from Norfolk to Cardiff, via MK, the Cotswolds and down the M50. I know that's not an obvious way but the whole trip isn't my point. There's a pretty obvious route from Morton in Marsh to Evesham, (The A44) then the A46 to the M5. Our SatNavs take us out of MIM on the 429 then across country to the A46 between Evesham and the M5. I guess it's a mile or two shorter but it's a pain of a trip.

I could bore you with other examples, even off that same route.

Anyway, I get my XF on Wednesday, I'll let you know how I think it compares!
    Interesting.
    So the moral of the story is to avoidGarmin and BMW, and stick with Skodas
    Southern bound from Glasgow town, She's shining in the sun; My Scotstoun Lassie on a border run
    We're whistling down the hillsides, And tearing up the climbs; I'm just a thiever stealing time, In the Border Reiver

Threehundred thousand on the clock, And plenty more to go; Crash box and lever, She needs the heel and toe
    She's not too cold in winter, But she cooks me in the heat; I'm a six foot driver, But you can't adjust the seat,

In the Border Reiver

Post Thanks / Like
    The real moral is to use Waze or Google maps on a smart phone

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Marks_DTM View Post
    The real moral is to use Waze or Google maps on a smart phone
    Dont like the way Sat Navs on the phone show their info. So car Sat Navs it is. To be fair, there is some benefit. It makes me think, and it stops me getting lazy. I have to work out my route in advance using the internet or my road atlas. The car sat nav is then just to make sure i dont go wrong during the journey. When you get to the bit where it takes you off, you should remember what your road atlas told you, and go by that. The car will soon adjust the route to the correct one.
    Southern bound from Glasgow town, She's shining in the sun; My Scotstoun Lassie on a border run
    We're whistling down the hillsides, And tearing up the climbs; I'm just a thiever stealing time, In the Border Reiver

Threehundred thousand on the clock, And plenty more to go; Crash box and lever, She needs the heel and toe
    She's not too cold in winter, But she cooks me in the heat; I'm a six foot driver, But you can't adjust the seat,

In the Border Reiver

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, I picked the car up today. Very in-depth introduction to it, especially the ‘incontrol’ stuff.

In general the car seems fine. Drives very well, and I like the tech so far, though I do wonder how necessary or genuinely useful it really is. Sitting in the house I can check it’s mileage, fuel level and where it is. I could start it but won’t be doing that. Doubt I’ll be using these features much!

Problem trying to plan a route on my phone and send it to car. Account set up on phone and car but since I set up car I can’t access a/c on phone! Either says details are wrong or account temporarily locked for security reasons, try later. Again, not something I’d use much but still....

Minor issue with my phone. Paired up wife’s iPhone 5 and my 6. Her contacts have uploaded, music etc., but won’t upload mine! Even if her phone’s not in range it won’t upload my phone’s stuff.

But other than that I’m quite pleased with it. Early days but compared to my 530d, it has a slightly noisier engine when accelerating but it’s smoother (petrol now). Steers and handles much better than 5, which had adaptive drive, rides as well as, much more responsive to throttle. The XF has Configurable Dynamics but I haven’t played with that yet. The dash and central display are great fun; very adaptable and comprehensive. Touch screen works well.

As for the SatNav, yes, just like the BMW and our Merc it seems intent on dragging us across country instad of the easier faster routes!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12