Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Formula E Hong Kong - Jaguar’s Mitch Evans on the Podium (sort of)

Post Thanks / Like

Formula E Hong Kong - Jaguar’s Mitch Evans on the Podium (sort of)

I watched the first two races of the 2017-18 season over the weekend and was pleased to see that Jaguar appear to have made a big step forward in performance. Jaguar’s Mitch Evans was fourth in the second race and eventually promoted to 3rd when Audi got disqualified for a technicality. There is a lot going on in these races and it is cool to watch, even for someone who would rather have real engines
    S-Type 3.0 Manual MY2001 in Pacific Blue with Cashmere Leather Sport Seats, Sunroof, Melbourne Alloys, Premium Sound plus some other stuff ... 55k miles.
    XKR 5.0 Speed Pack MY2011 in Polaris White with Ivory/Charcoal Leather, Nevis Alloys and R-Performance Interior plus some other stuff ... 16k miles.
    FIAT Coupe MY1997 in Steel Grey with Tan Leather ... 55k miles.

2. Likes Ian D, Thomas Hayward liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Neil,

Is this a version of Jaguars I Pace electric engine? Or are they putting their name to someone else's?

Quote Originally Posted by Neilr View Post
    I watched the first two races of the 2017-18 season over the weekend and was pleased to see that Jaguar appear to have made a big step forward in performance. Jaguar’s Mitch Evans was fourth in the second race and eventually promoted to 3rd when Audi got disqualified for a technicality. There is a lot going on in these races and it is cool to watch, even for someone who would rather have real engines
    2002 Ford Mondeo 2.0 TdCI Blue
    2006 Jaguar XK (Aluminium) 4.2 Indigo Metallic

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Hayward View Post
    Hi Neil,

Is this a version of Jaguars I Pace electric engine? Or are they putting their name to someone else's?
    No rebadging and other way round I believe. Jaguar have partnered with Williams to jointly develop electric technology for JLR and compete in electric powered motorsport. The I-Pace came after the Formula-E car. I'm afraid I have not seen and info suggesting or otherwise that the I-Pace racing car is directly derived from the Foemula-E car - probably not but no doubt is a development of what has been learned so far.

I get the sad feeling that if this forum was not full of grumpy old blokes with rose-tinted reading glasses, Jaguar might have been more active in giving us more information about what they are doing. If you are ever on the US forum, you will see a lot more info from Jaguar sources. Oh well ...

Btw, the next race is on next Saturday, 13th Jan
    S-Type 3.0 Manual MY2001 in Pacific Blue with Cashmere Leather Sport Seats, Sunroof, Melbourne Alloys, Premium Sound plus some other stuff ... 55k miles.
    XKR 5.0 Speed Pack MY2011 in Polaris White with Ivory/Charcoal Leather, Nevis Alloys and R-Performance Interior plus some other stuff ... 16k miles.

5. Likes Thomas Hayward liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you Neil. There are worse people than Williams for Jaguar to go into partnership with! If only they had made the CX75!! <3

I think it is great Jaguar are getting into electric, this foresight should ensure the brand continues to thrive where so many other British Brands have failed.

What channel is the Formula E on? I caught a couple of races (by accident) last year, it looked pretty good!

Btw (completely off topic now - apologies), someone mentioned some time ago that there was a rumour Jag would end up having BMW V8 engines. I think the expansion at the new engine plant probably puts this to bed, as the V6 and then V8 will be able to be manufactured there (and essentially be bigger versions of the 4 cylinder).

No rebadging and other way round I believe. Jaguar have partnered with Williams to jointly develop electric technology for JLR and compete in electric powered motorsport. The I-Pace came after the Formula-E car. I'm afraid I have not seen and info suggesting or otherwise that the I-Pace racing car is directly derived from the Foemula-E car - probably not but no doubt is a development of what has been learned so far.

I get the sad feeling that if this forum was not full of grumpy old blokes with rose-tinted reading glasses, Jaguar might have been more active in giving us more information about what they are doing. If you are ever on the US forum, you will see a lot more info from Jaguar sources. Oh well ...

Btw, the next race is on next Saturday, 13th Jan

Post Thanks / Like
    In Germany, I only get Formula-E on Eurosport.

I also read that BMW would be supplying V8s to Jaguar as they did not believe that future numbers warranted investing in a new design. Aston Martin got the Mercedes AMG engine, drivetrain and electronic controls So I would not be surprised if sixes are the biggest engines that Jaguar manufacture themselves as they head towards hybrid and electrics.

8. Likes Thomas Hayward liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Okay, thank you for that. I need to find out where I can watch it here. Probably Eurosport also.

It was my understanding (I could be wrong) that this is why Jaguar has started using a modular strategy of 500cc per cylinder, as this makes the V6 3l and V8 4l easier to design and make.

Anyhow, whatever happens with the V8, I'm looking forward to seeing what kind of figures the new Jaguar V6 will produce v what it is replacing.

In Germany, I only get Formula-E on Eurosport.

I also read that BMW would be supplying V8s to Jaguar as they did not believe that future numbers warranted investing in a new design. Aston Martin got the Mercedes AMG engine, drivetrain and electronic controls So I would not be surprised if sixes are the biggest engines that Jaguar manufacture themselves as they head towards hybrid and electrics.

Post Thanks / Like
    There were some articles like this one:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars...ar-land-rover/

But until such things are finalised, car manufacturers never say anything.

Won't the new Jag 6 be an inline one?

11. Likes Thomas Hayward liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Hayward View Post
    Okay, thank you for that. I need to find out where I can watch it here. Probably Eurosport also.

It was my understanding (I could be wrong) that this is why Jaguar has started using a modular strategy of 500cc per cylinder, as this makes the V6 3l and V8 4l easier to design and make.

Anyhow, whatever happens with the V8, I'm looking forward to seeing what kind of figures the new Jaguar V6 will produce v what it is replacing.
    This is what’s happening with JLR engines, what we know

2019 Dagenham contract for V6 3.0d engines ends
    2020 Bridgend contract for supercharged V6/V8 petrol engines ends

There will be no more supercharged engines after this with turbocharging spread across the range from then onwards.

Ingenium engines are modular for inline ONLY, there are no plans to make any more V engines after 2020. All will be inline ranging from a 3 cylinder 1.5L with hybrid up to 3.0L straight 6. The casing is just extended with adding on cylinders, it would be too excessive to create a whole new V casing when a straight 6 is smoother, needs no balancing and can make large power plus it’s significant with Jaguar’s history. The Wolverhampton plant has expanded to be ready for production of the new engines due out around 2020.

Jaguar is rumoured to have made a partnership with BMW to supply the next generation v8 twin turbo engine.
    Current Car:
    2017 XE R-Sport 25t 250Ps 18MY.

Previous Cars:
    2000 S-Type 3.0L SE Auto
    2004 X-Type 3.0L AWD SE Auto estate.
    2007 XK x150 4.2L Coupe

Resident Super Moderator.
    V6 X-Type Oil Sump Replacement Guide

13. Likes Thomas Hayward liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you.

Out of interest, what would stop them adding another two cylinders, and creating a 4 litre straight 8?

Quote Originally Posted by Ian D View Post
    This is what’s happening with JLR engines, what we know

2019 Dagenham contract for V6 3.0d engines ends
    2020 Bridgend contract for supercharged V6/V8 petrol engines ends

There will be no more supercharged engines after this with turbocharging spread across the range from then onwards.

Ingenium engines are modular for inline ONLY, there are no plans to make any more V engines after 2020. All will be inline ranging from a 3 cylinder 1.5L with hybrid up to 3.0L straight 6. The casing is just extended with adding on cylinders, it would be too excessive to create a whole new V casing when a straight 6 is smoother, needs no balancing and can make large power plus it’s significant with Jaguar’s history. The Wolverhampton plant has expanded to be ready for production of the new engines due out around 2020.

Jaguar is rumoured to have made a partnership with BMW to supply the next generation v8 twin turbo engine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Packaging is the top reason, it’ll be too long to fit especially with crash laws. Any engine coming out in the next few years has to fit into the existing line up of cars.
    Current Car:
    2017 XE R-Sport 25t 250Ps 18MY.

Previous Cars:
    2000 S-Type 3.0L SE Auto
    2004 X-Type 3.0L AWD SE Auto estate.
    2007 XK x150 4.2L Coupe

Resident Super Moderator.
    V6 X-Type Oil Sump Replacement Guide

16. Likes Thomas Hayward liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast