Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel (Retirement in other countries)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by junglejames View Post
    Reminds me of a certain character on the film. I doubt the end result will be the same though.
    I'm going to have to watch it just for this Miriam character now though. In that respect, I suspect the producers have succeeded in what they set out to do.
    Somehow though, I doubt your intentions were to promote the program when you went on about her, but you've managed it.
    If I manage to find repeats on the t'internet, I will let ye know what I thought of it.
    Funnily enough, she does help make the series interesting. We all love to hate a character or two and I guess this is the one the producers have decided on.

Jan Leeming (looking for husband number 6) was an English rose and Myriam Margoyles was an embarrassment to anyone English.

Tony
    1997 Carnival Red X300, 2009 Dirty Blue 2.2 X type estate with dreaded DPF

Post Thanks / Like
    One episode down (admittedly one of the original ones based purely in India), and Miriam has to be the star of the show. Probably the only time I laughed was when she said something. Yes she quite obviously liked talking, but without her you wouldnt have had a show. You may as well have moved some cameras around India.
    Rosemary was obnoxious (nearly as much so as that so called Royal Family), but didn't know it, and I suspect unbeknown to her, she soon slotted quite nicely into the cast system, right at the top in her eyes. Miriam knew what she was like, and never hid that fact. So far though, she has been very pleasant. Hardly complaining, and even, i feel, being far too nice- "I hope they are generous, I'm sure they are". Yeah right, these same people have just gone and admitted in front of camera that those at the bottom of the cast system know they should be there, and realise its part of a progression, with their next life being better.
    What was missing I felt though, was catching Miriams farts on camera. Oh that would have made the show.

Unfortunately overall though, it was just another travel program. '8 celebrities go on a jolly to India'.
    You aren't going to be getting invites by self proclaimed royals if you don't have TV cameras with you. The plus side to this was, as I just mentioned, that they were unknowingly honest in what they thought of the lower classes.
    I hope it gets better as it goes on. I may skip the next one as I dont need to see '8 go on a daytrip to the Taj Mahal'. I'd rather read '5 go on an adventure'.
    Southern bound from Glasgow town, She's shining in the sun; My Scotstoun Lassie on a border run
    We're whistling down the hillsides, And tearing up the climbs; I'm just a thiever stealing time, In the Border Reiver

Threehundred thousand on the clock, And plenty more to go; Crash box and lever, She needs the heel and toe
    She's not too cold in winter, But she cooks me in the heat; I'm a six foot driver, But you can't adjust the seat,

In the Border Reiver

3. Likes Alec Escolme liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    FBS, I dissagree with you, I enjoy seeing her on TV, she may be too vulgar for some, but that is what I find funny about her. If someone is 'ugly' to you, I would keep that to yourself.

A good watch on the whole, a good selection of people, from different walks of life.
    Super V8, X358 Facelift + Portfolio Vents + Wald Spoiler, Black Cherry with Ivory/Charcoal leather + Black SuedeCloth Headliner, Rear Entertainment, Picnic Trays and Split Rear Reclining Seats. 200 Cell Cats, 2.5 SS Custom X-Pipe Exhaust
    Ex. XJ X350 3.0 Silver/Dove

5. Likes Henry_B liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Alec Escolme View Post
    FBS, I dissagree with you, I enjoy seeing her on TV, she may be too vulgar for some, but that is what I find funny about her. If someone is 'ugly' to you, I would keep that to yourself.

A good watch on the whole, a good selection of people, from different walks of life.
    Your post smacks of censorship. I am perfectly entitles to post what I think especially as she herself has said worse.

In my opinion, she is one of the ugliest (personality as well) people I have ever seen. By her own words, she describes herself as ugly so that covers that base.

You miss entirely my point which is that she goes out of her way to insult people for her own amusement. if you read up on her, she openly admits to being someone who offends people. She loves to see people reactions and many people are offended by this.

If you like this sort of person the fine, that's your prerogative but I prefer those who respect other cultures and do not go out of their way to offend people, especially the ones who are hosting you.

Tony

Post Thanks / Like
    I never said that you can't dislike her, just in the same way I am entitled to dislike people such as Nigel Farage, Donald Trump, ect.

I have not watched the series avidly, but do remember the American episode you refer to. As an American citizen, I agree with what she said in principle, but agree with you that she was wrong to be so brash in the gun shop. Later on there was an altercation at a retirement club, the Americans were quite embarasing imo.

Basically, she is like Jeremy Clarkson, either you like or don't, what you see is what you get.
    Super V8, X358 Facelift + Portfolio Vents + Wald Spoiler, Black Cherry with Ivory/Charcoal leather + Black SuedeCloth Headliner, Rear Entertainment, Picnic Trays and Split Rear Reclining Seats. 200 Cell Cats, 2.5 SS Custom X-Pipe Exhaust
    Ex. XJ X350 3.0 Silver/Dove

Post Thanks / Like
    So, having seen the Chengdu version, and then seen a youtube clip on the same show, purely aimed at putting Miriam down (wasn't written by you was it FBS?), I ended up feeling sorry for Miriam. Only once was she a little bit out of order, and that was over the choosing of the rooms (not really any worse than Rosemary though).
    She was very pleasant about a lot of Chengdu, and praised it and the culture no end, but at the same time was willing to criticise what she never liked. ie the shopping centre/ swimming pool. It was too American, yes. She came to see China and saw a part of America. She then did what a lot of us do, and slowly got brassed off as time went on due to little annoyances. Culminating in telling a lifeguard that she didn't like the swimming pool.
    She was honest in her assessment of the local food (too bl**dy authentic). Some see it as nasty and not accepting of other cultures, but it's another way of saying it is pretty awful food. The sort of thing you say amongst familiar people/ friends. Remember, she wasn't the only person to criticise the food, and to be fair, I don't think she is wrong. When she came out with that I suddenly thought what a very apt description it was.
    It was so refreshing to see such honesty (like Bobby George and chinese tea), and she did it in her own way. Not once did I see her fail to accept a different culture (the opposite really), or try and offend anybody. About the only person she was nasty about was herself in her own way. Calling herself fat and ugly and whatever else was possibly true, but many would deem it nasty if aimed at someone else. So yes, she saved her worst for herself.

After two episodes, there is one persons voice in my head. Rosemary's. That says it all I think. Oh, and you mention Rosemary leaving Miriams group. I can see why. She couldn't stand the fact someone saw her for what she was, and was willing to make fun of it on camera.
    Southern bound from Glasgow town, She's shining in the sun; My Scotstoun Lassie on a border run
    We're whistling down the hillsides, And tearing up the climbs; I'm just a thiever stealing time, In the Border Reiver

Threehundred thousand on the clock, And plenty more to go; Crash box and lever, She needs the heel and toe
    She's not too cold in winter, But she cooks me in the heat; I'm a six foot driver, But you can't adjust the seat,

In the Border Reiver

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Alec Escolme View Post
    I never said that you can't dislike her, just in the same way I am entitled to dislike people such as Nigel Farage, Donald Trump, ect.

I have not watched the series avidly, but do remember the American episode you refer to. As an American citizen, I agree with what she said in principle, but agree with you that she was wrong to be so brash in the gun shop. Later on there was an altercation at a retirement club, the Americans were quite embarasing imo.

Basically, she is like Jeremy Clarkson, either you like or don't, what you see is what you get.
    I shall now watch this American version. That sounds good.

In the Border Reiver

Post Thanks / Like
    Hahaha. Absolutely brilliant. The American one was hilarious. Miriam is awesome.
    I don't believe she insults people for her own amusement, because quite often she can be very pleasant. She just isn't afraid to tell others what she thinks, is forthright and will discuss sensitive subjects, and she realises that will offend some people (it's an unfortunate by product, but she will keep discussing these even if others are likely to be offended, sometimes too easily). Although some parts of the show may have made her look like someone who offends for her own amusement (I bet you going into the gunshop was the producers idea and was done on purpose), that isn't what I read from it. She just isn't scared to discuss things. There is a difference. Comparing Trump to Hitler in front of a Trump supporter who had escaped Nazi Germany was taking it to new levels, and most people wouldn't dare do that, but it was showing how odd it was to support Trump for such a person. She no doubt knew that would offend, but it was an unfortunate by product of the conversation on politics, and trying to work out the strangeness of the situation. If it was for her own amusement she would do it to everybody. One second she would hate republicans, and the next she would hate democrats. But that wasn't the case. She could have gone to the shooting range and gone round everybody causing unrest for her amusement, but she didn't. She stayed away.

When Rosemary got back from her botox treatment, she could have gone on and on purposely offending Rosemary. She didn't. She praised Rosemary's new look.

Theres one simple difference between Miriam and most other people. She isn't scared to discuss subjects and to air her opinion, no matter what, whereas others will keep quiet just in case.

Can she be annoying? Oh I have no doubt she could be. Her inability to think of others when it comes to choosing bedrooms was a bugbear. She needed to think of her group a little more, but Rosemary was exactly the same. Her refusal to kiss someone was also out of order.

Can she offend? Without doubt, she will offend, because she isn't scared to speak up on subjects. I bet you everybody here has beliefs that will offend somebody, but a lot won't want to speak up and will keep it to yourselves. On the whole this is seen as a good idea, but some people will discuss anyway. We are taught not to discuss politics and religion as it causes too much trouble. Miriam thinks this is daft and people should be able to speak up. Most are taught never to say when something isn't very nice, as it is best to keep the peace. She isn't scared to call a spade a spade. The funny thing is, she actually reminds me of Donald Trump a little in this respect!!

Anyway, moving away from Miriam, the American show highlighted a good couple of points-
    Rosemary is unable to listen to people. How many times was she told not to point guns at people? She would have been chucked out of that shooting range if the cameras werent there.
    How vicious and nasty some people can be if you hold a differing view to them. Those Americans that caused a scene at the cocktail party. Straight in, all guns blazing, viciously verbally attacking Miriam and the two American women. They certainly had no intention of discussing the subject sensibly. Then the woman who followed up by taking the pee out of Miriams weight like she did.
    Lastly, how false Florida can be. It really does attract that sort of person.

In the Border Reiver

Post Thanks / Like
    At last we are getting some interest in this section.

With the trashy reality shows that flood the air aimed at the under 30s, this is a breath of fresh air. A reality show aimed at the majority.

I was amazed to read up on Jan Leeming. 5 husbands! She looks and sounds so innocent, a real English rose. Underneath that, she must be a real thorn.

I am looking forward to Chiang Mai as apart from knowing the place well and the real retirement scene there, the only clip they have shown of it has Sheila Ferguson complaining she could never live there. I am dying to see and hear why. If she could suffer the heat of Spain in the summer, Chiang Mai is cooler so it must be the food but up north, it is not very hot, just spicy. Should be good.

Tony

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat Boy Slim View Post
    At last we are getting some interest in this section.

With the trashy reality shows that flood the air aimed at the under 30s, this is a breath of fresh air. A reality show aimed at the majority.

I was amazed to read up on Jan Leeming. 5 husbands! She looks and sounds so innocent, a real English rose. Underneath that, she must be a real thorn.

I am looking forward to Chiang Mai as apart from knowing the place well and the real retirement scene there, the only clip they have shown of it has Sheila Ferguson complaining she could never live there. I am dying to see and hear why. If she could suffer the heat of Spain in the summer, Chiang Mai is cooler so it must be the food but up north, it is not very hot, just spicy. Should be good.

Tony
    To be fair, I could already tell you I couldn't live there, and I have never been. Simple reason, I have absolutely no wish to live in Thailand. Just like I could tell you I couldn't live in America, India or China (the last two are a bit more obvious).
    I have no doubt more reasons will come out on the show, but already your spicy food is enough!

Unfortunately the Japanese episode is a no go. Youtube want to sell it, and IPlayer have long since stopped showing it. Ah well.

In the Border Reiver

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12