Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Engine bay. Replace & Look at?

Post Thanks / Like

Engine bay. Replace & Look at?

My car is in the garage at the moment. They have just dropped the subframe and I will be popping along tomorrow to take a look at it.

I was wondering about the engine mounts. Never seen them. No idea what they even look like. I assume they are rubber? Just wondering if it would be a good idea to replace them whilst the sub frame is out? Anyone got pictures so I know what I am looking for and perhaps part numbers just in case I decide to replace?

Anything else I should be looking for whilst the sub frame is out? Going to look at power steering hoses but anything else?
    2003 Zircon Blue XKR Convertible.
    It's in the detail.

To see index of "Franks Story" up to 8th March 2017 Please Click Here. Thanks!

Cannot see any photos? PHOTOBUCKET FIX please CLICK HERE FOR SOLUTION

Post Thanks / Like
    With subframe dropped, it is well worth replacing the vee mounts, anti roll bar bushes, brake pipes and hoses.
    Also, it is MUCH easier to remove the top wishbones bolts, so re-bushing or polybushing the top wishbones is not a chore.
    2000 XK8 convertible, 2004 X-type Diesel.

Post Thanks / Like
    David.
    XK8 Convertible 4.0 - 1997. Aerial switch, boot lid switch, remote key-fob operated hood, & tensioners replaced.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks DD. They say a picture is better than a 1000 words, certainly the case here.
    It's in the detail.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sheddist View Post
    With subframe dropped, it is well worth replacing the vee mounts, anti roll bar bushes, brake pipes and hoses.
    Also, it is MUCH easier to remove the top wishbones bolts, so re-bushing or polybushing the top wishbones is not a chore.
    Done the wishbone bolts. They were real %%%%% to remove. The bushes have been replaced with poly bushes. Will take a look at the brake pipes and hoses.

Thumbs up all round chaps. Thanks!!
    It's in the detail.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just had a thought, I get them sometimes, I assume I will need two of each?

Whilst I am asking questions........ what are the signs of a worn engine mount?
    It's in the detail.

Post Thanks / Like
    Frank - Yes - two of each. I haven't "been there done that" so can't speak from any personal experience, but, with the front subframe out of the way, I think it would be worth looking at the two front subframe mounting bushes (look very similar to the ones on the rear subframe) and I think there's also one rear engine mount which you might consider replacing.

This photo shows location of the rear "V mounts", the two engine mounts, and the two front bushes.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUBFRAME-F...EAAOSwAHtaCDsM
    David.
    XK8 Convertible 4.0 - 1997. Aerial switch, boot lid switch, remote key-fob operated hood, & tensioners replaced.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DevonDavid View Post
    Frank - Yes - two of each. I haven't "been there done that" so can't speak from any personal experience, but, with the front subframe out of the way, I think it would be worth looking at the two front subframe mounting bushes (look very similar to the ones on the rear subframe) and I think there's also one rear engine mount which you might consider replacing.

This photo shows location of the rear "V mounts", the two engine mounts, and the two front bushes.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUBFRAME-F...EAAOSwAHtaCDsM
    Thanks DD. AA from the 'other' forum posted a pic for me. It says it all really. These are the front engine mounts of someone elses car. I think they need replacing. Hope mine dont look like this when I see them!

It's in the detail.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by frankc View Post
    Thanks DD. AA from the 'other' forum posted a pic for me. It says it all really. These are the front engine mounts of someone elses car. I think they need replacing. Hope mine dont look like this when I see them!
    [/IMG]
    Frank, these are the front subframe rear mounts, not the engine mounts, the engine mounts are round and fluid filled, replace when they leak or now depending on what they cost.

Engine (top left) and subframe (bottom right) mount.

Fitting the front subframe bushes needs a Jag tool to fit them, I took a set to my local jag stealers and they relieved me of £100 to push them in. I wouldn't touch them if they look good.

Front subrame bush, the inner came out with the bolt!

New one pushed in.

1979 450SL - 2002 4.2 XK8

Post Thanks / Like
    FWIW when I dropped the subframe on my XK8, before replacing all the parts listed above, I took the bare casting and had it grit blasted, then gave it a coat of zinc chromate etch primer followed by silver two-pack.

Consequently eight years later the subframe still looks better than when it left the factory.

While yours in dismantled why not do the same?
    MY2000 2 Seater XK8 Convertible

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast