Thread: Left rear brake lamp failed s type 2004

Post Thanks / Like

Left rear brake lamp failed s type 2004

Hi and apologies i have seen many a thread on this and no joy on how to fix.

I am trying to upload a video to show the issue.
    Basically 'left rear brake lamp failed' on dash , also when left indicator selected both indoxtors come on.

Have bought new light cluster, fuses all seem ok.as do connections. Can any one help?

Post Thanks / Like
    Thread moved to S-Type section.
    Current Car:
    2017 XE R-Sport 25t 250Ps 18MY.

Previous Cars:
    2000 S-Type 3.0L SE Auto
    2004 X-Type 3.0L AWD SE Auto estate.
    2007 XK x150 4.2L Coupe

Resident Super Moderator.
    V6 X-Type Oil Sump Replacement Guide

Post Thanks / Like
    Don't know about the indicators but brake light failure is common, mine usually does one or the other every 3/6 months ish. Nobody knows why, 'no faults' stored.
    A very cynical grumpy old man
    Late 2004 2.7D auto
    Connoisseur of Fine Ales
    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - What a ride, where are the wimmin?"

Post Thanks / Like
    My left hand brake bulb showed as failed at least once a year, the right one has never shown as failed! After checking using a magnifying glass I could not find any elements in the bulb broken, cleaned all the contacts , still got a bulb failure after a short while. So I used silicon sealer around the boot gutter next to the lens and followed it right around to the bottom of the lens, on both sides. so far no more blown bulbs. Possible cause small amount of water getting into light cluster, lights on heat build up, evaporation of water steam rises deposits over contact causing a short i.e. bulb failure on dash. This might not be the cause but so far it seems to be working and cost is limited to silicon sealer.
    2005 S-Type SE Zircon Blue 18 inch Monaco Wheels

Post Thanks / Like
    Poor earth?
    S-Type 3.0 Manual MY2001 in Pacific Blue with Cashmere Leather Sport Seats, Sunroof, Melbourne Alloys, Premium Sound plus some other stuff ... 55k miles.
    XKR 5.0 Speed Pack MY2011 in Polaris White with Ivory/Charcoal Leather, Nevis Alloys and R-Performance Interior plus some other stuff ... 16k miles.
    FIAT Coupe MY1997 in Steel Grey with Tan Leather ... 55k miles.