Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Plastic.

Post Thanks / Like
    "But my REAL hate is the hypocritical national newspaper (MAIL) claiming to be the leader in getting rid of excess plastic that wraps it's weekend editions in clear plastic to preserve their advertising revenue from the myriad of leaflets included. "
    Excellent point! Never gave that a thought.
    2003 Zircon Blue XKR Convertible.
    It's in the detail.

To see index of "Franks Story" up to 8th March 2017 Please Click Here. Thanks!

Cannot see any photos? PHOTOBUCKET FIX please CLICK HERE FOR SOLUTION

2. Thanks iwvc thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by piman View Post
    Hello Ducmon,

I'm sure you meant that gold is the only metal that does not oxidise.

My feeling is that there is less disipline now, and people have less respect for so many things. Plastic has been of great benefit in many ways, although there are many cases of overuse. But the material itself is not the problem it is people and even if the legislation does reduce the amount of plastic consumed from what I have read the majority of plastic that finds it's way into the ocean comes from six rivers, all in Africa and Asia. So our efforts will have little overall impact.

Alec
    Platinum doesn't 'corrode/oxidise' either.
    We are all very wealthy but don't know it. We have time. You can't buy anymore so don't waste it...

Post Thanks / Like
    What's the point of wasting vehicles to teach someone a lesson.

If they had gone to prison they wouldn't be able to use their van. All they need now is another van and their work continues and the authorities have produced some more waste to deal with.

Like plastic, if we fine the litteres, the producers can continue to profit from selling plastic.

It's not like I don't notice the council waste truck putting the waste that companies divide into two bins, into the same lorry. Are we to believe they seperate it later?

Problems are most effectively addressed at source. It is up to manufacturers to address the problem and find acceptable ways of packaging, and huge fines or imprisonment imposed on those company execs who fail.

Expecting change through educating the public is naive. I'm sure the producers and suppliers of plastic would be only too glad to see the problem placed on the public to deal with but from what I see it's them and the local authorities letting the people down.
    56 Jaguar X400 | 6 Speed Manual Transaxle - MMT6 | Series 60
    2.2L Duratorq 16V TC (150PS) - Puma | 4 Door Saloon
    Onboard Vapour Recovery System | Leather Steering Wheel
    Variable Intermittent Windscreen Wiper | Side Repeat Flashers

Post Thanks / Like
    It must be down to the retailer.
    If they told their suppliers to cut it out with too much plastic packaging then they'd have to comply.

Or get the shoppers to force it.
    Some years ago, I think it was in Germany, people were complaining about the amount of cardboard packaging. Housewives took it upon
    themselves that when they got land side of the supermarket checkout they removed the excess packaing and dumped it in the aisle.
    It worked I believe.
    Perhaps something similar could be done with plastic.
    56 plate V6 3lt auto in beautiful British Racing Green

6. Likes Jag-Black liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes Hank. I like it. Since we're expected to reuse bags and take them to collect our shopping, why not fill the bag with reusable tupperware and remove all the produce from it's packaging at the till.

The problem is who ends up having to deal with the rubbish, make it the suppliers problem.
    56 Jaguar X400 | 6 Speed Manual Transaxle - MMT6 | Series 60
    2.2L Duratorq 16V TC (150PS) - Puma | 4 Door Saloon
    Onboard Vapour Recovery System | Leather Steering Wheel
    Variable Intermittent Windscreen Wiper | Side Repeat Flashers

Post Thanks / Like
    It was in the One Show a few nights back about plastic drinking straws, if it's not a pint of best bitter a drink comes with 2 of them
    Gorden Ramsey (god I hate that *****) was on the show and was asked if he'd stop doing it in his estableshments and change to paper straws, when the point was forced he got up and walked out.
    When he returned to the set he was asked again and he said he would.
    I bet you a shilling he won't do a thing about it.
    These 'celebrities' have the power to help, Jamie Oliver (I hate that **** as well) with his school dinners thing and Hugh Fearnly-Whittingstall with his war on waste, to name but two have put their status to use so perhaps a few more ought to do something with plastic.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Hank,

as I pointed out in my original post, I and I'm sure a great many others re used thes 'single use bags' and now we don't get them anymore we buy plastic bags to replace the supermarket bags we used to use.

There is a lot of potential to burn this plastic instead to produce much needed electricity, no doubt some scrubbers will be required in the flues to clean the flue gas but there is possibilities?

As usual there is a lot of hysteria but little real thinking of ways to conter such problems. There must be reasons that plastic has taken over, cost is an obvious one but making paper is extremely energy intensive in it's production.
    I don't know the answer but it's obvious, as with many things our government hasn't a clue.

Alec
    2004 2.5 X Type Estate, MK 2 3.8 (Long term restoration), 2.5 P.I. Triumph saloon, 564 Hymer motorhome.

Post Thanks / Like
    Over many years I've saved the free supermarket single-use plastic bags and they have come in handy but, the oldest ones are just disintegrating into tiny pieces when I pick them up. Surely those biodegradable bags are much better than the thick plastic ones you can buy even if they are used several times.
    "I know I'm a pessimist because my glass is always half empty...even when it's full".

2009 X-Type 2.2D Sovereign - Indigo Blue with Ivory Leather

Post Thanks / Like
    If anybody wants some wax moth lava (these buggers eat plastic bags) I will be quite happy to supple them as will any bee keeper.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast