Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: Cars with removed bonnet mascots

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by xjrecosse View Post
    The leaper was standard on XJ's in some markets. My car was bought in such a market. I agree with the comments that say that it doesn't really make that much difference. If it bothers someone that much it would not be hard to either replace the leaper or have the hole eradicated and sprayed over. As for the old argument about leapers, I prefer to see an XJ of that vintage with a leaper. Each to his own.
    Welding aluminium I thought was tricky. The so-called solutions mentioned on Jag forums involve scrap metal, glue and filler, which sounds like a bodge. Surprised that none of the aftermarket has developed a proper solution. The solutions seem to be to use an XK badge, which may or may not fully cover the multiple holes used for the mascot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jag75 View Post
    Good topic guys, I also say it’s your car do what you want with it. I’ve customised my cars for almost 50 years now.

My late XF was probably the only one on the road with coachlines ( I used to sell them and fit them) I also had a chrome strip on the rear bumper bordering the black area. I also had a few other mods like foot rest to protect the carpet and textured black tape to prevent scuffs on the inner sill.

On my Rover 75 I’ve got too many mods to mention but let’s say it looks tasteful, I even fitted custom made walnut veneered door cappings.
    Apologies to the thread for going off topic, but this was my very own 75 being on the Fifth Gear program.
    Noble M400, LR Disco 3, Rover 75 V6,Jaguar X350/358 coming, watch this space !

3. Thanks C16RKC, Jag75, saz9961 thanked for this post
    Likes C16RKC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by reddiesel View Post
    Surprised when I hear of Members feeling that strongly Woody , its not a question of being right or wrong but
    it simply wouldn't worry me .
    Would I fit one myself ? Definitely not , but that would be more about originality than aesthetics
    I might have missed a couple of pages of this thread but I'm quite surprised that the discussion about aesthetics and originality has not touched on safety? Sticking pointy metal objects on the front of your car has the potential for harming pedestrians in the slightest impact.

This was discussed on a Facebook Jag page and produced some angry polarity. Someone challenged me to produce statistics as to how many people are injured by bonnet mascots. Do you really want to have a finite number of people disembowelled before you reconsider that daft protrusion? If someone bolted a crowbar or a boathook on the front of their car everyone would call them a lunatic, but because its a pretty pussycat its presumably OK.

Everyone makes subconscious risk assessments going about their everyday lives, and without realising base their actions on the apparent risk to themselves. I think its why so many lorries are involved in motorway accidents, its that feeling of invincibility. The headlines always read the same - "5 dead in mini metro, the lorry driver was treated for shock"!

I think its the same with Jag leapers, you as a driver are never going to be concerned about something pointy on the front of your car, but ask a pedestrian or cyclist for balance. When I am crowned king I will allow leapers to be fitted to any Jaguar, as long as it is accompanied by a chromed 9" nail in the middle of the steering wheel .

5. Thanks saz9961 thanked for this post
    Dislikes xjrecosse disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well Lester the safety angle has been done to death both on here and in other Forums , suffice to say it won't fail an MOT
    and there is almost Zero Chance of a Copper pulling you either . Happy to take it all back of course if you can find someone
    who has suffered disembowlment on account of a Leaper , its little more than Urban Legend in my limited experience

7. Likes PhilDean liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	XJR-S-Type_Fotor.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	216.4 KB 
ID:	26156

XJ and S-Type both standard with leaper in Abu Dhabi a few years back now. Still have the XJ. Probably on my 4th one as the break off wire tended to corrode in the humidity in the UAE! Fell off in my hand when washing the S-Type and the XJ! They were never going to hurt anybody........
    MY2007 XJR - Frost Blue - imported to the UK from the UAE
    MY2017 Suzuki Vitara - the Tonka Truck

9. Thanks saz9961 thanked for this post
    Likes reddiesel liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by reddiesel View Post
    Well Lester the safety angle has been done to death both on here and in other Forums , suffice to say it won't fail an MOT
    and there is almost Zero Chance of a Copper pulling you either . Happy to take it all back of course if you can find someone
    who has suffered disembowlment on account of a Leaper , its little more than Urban Legend in my limited experience
    Nicely put.... I've had leapers on each and every Jaguar (9 in total). Never failed an MOT.
    I'm now not following this thread any longer - once we hit the tired old subject of disembowelling - it's time for bed.
    Funny how nobody considers the ton and a half of car and blunt force trauma, just the hood mascot.

The answer is perfectly simple - reduce the speed limit so even the dumbest pedestrian cannot be harmed.
    If I can think of any further daft responses that this thread is attracting, I'll swallow them.

I really must limit my access on this forum to technical issues as I can't afford to lose brain cells at the current rate.
    So cheerio from your friendly Chav-cum-premeditated murderer......good grief!

Phil.
    Phil Dean.
    2005 V6 3.0 Pacific Blue / Dove Grey.
    Re-named 'Christine'.

11. Thanks saz9961 thanked for this post
    Likes Jimbov8, C16RKC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    My last leaper was a TUV approved one - it had a spring loaded base and broke off on impact.
    Regards
    Chris Clark
    2007 XJ X358 Sovereign Diesel LWB

Previous... 1992 XJ40 Sovereign, 1994 XJ40 Sovereign, 2000 XJ Sovereign, 2000 Daimler V8, 2003 X350 Super V8, 2008 XJ X358 Sovereign Diesel

13. Thanks saz9961 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Getting the idea that its a waste of time asking any questions on this forum. Hint taken. Get more help elsewhere.

15. Thanks Lester Burnham thanked for this post
    Likes reddiesel, Lester Burnham liked this post
    Dislikes xjrecosse, reddiesel, C16RKC disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by saz9961 View Post
    Getting the idea that its a waste of time asking any questions on this forum. Hint taken. Get more help elsewhere.
    There is a good bunch of knowledgeable people on here, like with any subject/question asked eventually it runs its course and goes off tangent. You’ll find that occur on any forum or Facebook based club.
    Current Car:
    2017 XE R-Sport 25t 250Ps 18MY.

Previous Cars:
    2000 S-Type 3.0L SE Auto
    2004 X-Type 3.0L AWD SE Auto estate.
    2007 XK x150 4.2L Coupe

Resident Super Moderator.
    V6 X-Type Oil Sump Replacement Guide

17. Thanks saz9961 thanked for this post
    Likes xjrecosse, reddiesel liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by saz9961 View Post
    Unfortunately with your appalling attitude I feel you will encounter a poor reception wherever you go . How many times have you threatened to leave
    now ? You have received nothing but tolerance , kindness and good advice on this Forum , too often it seems when you receive advice you don't like
    you proceed to throw your toys out of the Pram , you are asking for advice and we are replying , whats the issue ?
    This is a thread about Leapers and from memory a brief summary is 1) Fitting a Leaper may effect desirability though not necessarily value
    2) Safety Issues have been raised but most Members from experience think they are overblown , Leapers don't attract the Police nor do they
    contravene the MOT test . Can you please tell the Forum how this has caused you offence ?
    As for removal of Mascots , you either mask the holes with a Badge , exchange the bonnet or remedy a repair , again all covered above , what
    has offended you ?

19. Likes xjrecosse liked this post
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast