Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hand brake

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mumjane View Post
    Bit ignorant and selfish to ignore all the help you gentlemen are trying to give him. Would not bother any further.
    Perhaps those comments are better directed to Mumsnet.
    Registered 30-12-2003 Zircon blue, Whoosh XKR..... why not 1st of Jan 2004

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=frankc;1073297]https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...esolved-53382/

http://www.jaguarforum.com/showthread.php?t=43254

http://www.fixya.com/cars/t2134204-p...relase_jag_xk8

Ok if it where me I would kneel outside the car with the handbrake in front of me. Grab the oblong leather cover at the bottom of the handbrake and pull upwards working the cover off. Move the seat as forward as you can so you can see behind the lever. Your looking for a spoked cog. The handbrake is held 'on' basically by a bit of metal that slides into two or three of the small cogs. When you press the lever in on the handle it pulls the metal bit out of the cog and releases the brake. Now the cover is off try tapping the area with a hammer as you push the button in at the top. It could jar it free. Also spray the area with WD40.
    Frank Tip. If you cannot see the cog because its behind the lever then get your phone camera out and photo the area. You will then be able to see what you have to work on.

If you follow the wires on the photo below you will see the tiny cogs that holds the brake on.

Here you go. Same picture but with a close up of the cogs engaging. When you push the top button it is supposed to pull the two apart.

If you can get a screwdriver in there you might be able to disengage it that way but it will be very awkward to do.

Cannot think of any other way I can help you.[/QUOTE

Hi Frank, I have been in Vienna over the weekend I will try and see if I can do what you suggest tomorrow if the weather is better although its forecast for torrential rain and 70 mph wind here and the car is stuck on the drive.
    Thanks for your help.
    cheers bob
    Last edited by ibobt; 13-02-18 at 09:20.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 2woody View Post
    the key was in the "rarely use the hand brake".

This design of parking brake needs regular maintenance and religious use any time the car is stationary - even at traffic lights. And then, its the best design and most efficient there is.

I have no sympathy here - its highly irresponsible to not use the parking brake every time you park
    You are right of course

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ibobt View Post
    You are right of course
    Dont keep us in suspense did you fix it? Oh and I hardly use my handbrake.
    2003 Zircon Blue XKR Convertible.
    It's in the detail.

To see index of "Franks Story" up to 8th March 2017 Please Click Here. Thanks!

Cannot see any photos? PHOTOBUCKET FIX please CLICK HERE FOR SOLUTION

5. Likes Henry_B liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just fit an electric Handbrake

like what S types have
    I take the "The" out of Psychotherapist

If your in trouble, he will save the day
    he's brave and fearless, come what may
    without him the forum wouldn't have pictures of 1/2 naked women everwhere
    well who's this guy? i hear you ask
    there's only one to do the job
    he's the one and only "Henry_B"

Its a far better thing i do, that requires me to find a hammer and pummel you with all due diligence.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 2woody View Post
    the key was in the "rarely use the hand brake".

This design of parking brake needs regular maintenance and religious use any time the car is stationary - even at traffic lights. And then, its the best design and most efficient there is.

I have no sympathy here - its highly irresponsible to not use the parking brake every time you park
    I rarely use the handbrake. Once the gearbox is in Park, the transmission is locked by quite a hefty pawl and the gear lever itself can only be shifted out of park with the ignition on and foot on the brake. I would only bother with the handbrake if I was parked on a hill or thought there was a chance the car could be pushed by another car from behind.

One of the reason queues of traffic take so long to move off at traffic lights are all the people who wait for the car in front to move, before wrestling with their handbrakes, revving their engines and lurching away. In an automatic you just take your foot off the brake and smoothly drive away - why ruin that by putting the handbrake on?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerja View Post
    I rarely use the handbrake. Once the gearbox is in Park, the transmission is locked by quite a hefty pawl and the gear lever itself can only be shifted out of park with the ignition on and foot on the brake. I would only bother with the handbrake if I was parked on a hill or thought there was a chance the car could be pushed by another car from behind.

One of the reason queues of traffic take so long to move off at traffic lights are all the people who wait for the car in front to move, before wrestling with their handbrakes, revving their engines and lurching away. In an automatic you just take your foot off the brake and smoothly drive away - why ruin that by putting the handbrake on?

WARNING forums contain nuts

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by frankc View Post
    Dont keep us in suspense did you fix it? Oh and I hardly use my handbrake.
    I did in a post above and it pis... it down here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ibobt View Post
    I did in a post above and it pis... it down here.
    All I can see is "Hi Frank, I have been in Vienna over the weekend I will try and see if I can do what you suggest tomorrow if the weather is better although its forecast for torrential rain and 70 mph wind here and the car is stuck on the drive.
    Thanks for your help.
    cheers bob
    "

All that tells me Bob is you have been on holiday and you cant do anything because of the weather.

It's raining here today too. Roll on spring I have so much I want to do. Getting fed up with freezing and the rain. 20th March first day of spring cannot come soon enough.
    It's in the detail.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerja View Post

Yep. You have it. As long as you use the brake occasionally to keep the parts moving and keep everything maintained I cannot see a reason to use the handbrake at every opportunity. When I pull up at traffic lights and its going to be a long'ish stop I just put it in park.
    It's in the detail.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast