Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Hand brake

Post Thanks / Like
    that's pretty irresponsible. On these, the park brake is also the secondary brake, meaning that it is the declared means of stopping the vehicle in an emergency.

Do you need an emergency to find out ?

I am partly an accident investigator and have seen more than one case of serious injuries which could have been prevented were the parking brake to have been kept in working condition by regular use.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 2woody View Post
    that's pretty irresponsible. On these, the park brake is also the secondary brake, meaning that it is the declared means of stopping the vehicle in an emergency.

I am partly an accident investigator and have seen more than one case of serious injuries which could have been prevented were the parking brake to have been kept in working condition by regular use.
    Pompus a^^. Bit of a jobs worth. You dont have to use the brake everyday, everytime. Common sense is all it takes not someone telling us we should do this and that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 2woody View Post

That's a fair point, but my handbrake does work and I use it often enough to know that it does work if my brakes were to fail. Engine braking works quite well too using the manual side of the gearbox.

The handbrake is also tested annually as part of the vehicle inspection, so it does get used at least every 12 months.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, all the snow and driving rain have gone, so time to take a look at the handbrake lever, there was a stud button under the end that came apart easily so far so good.I pulled and tugged as much as I could without moving the damn thing, next idea to slit through the stitching on the bottom side again not able to remove.I did notice with all the pulling a throwing the car was rocking. So I started the old girl up and drove slowly off the drive and a few yards onto the flat road. I then put the car in neutral and gave it a push it rolled without much effort in both direction, however, in all fairness, it still has the handbrake warning message and red light on, on the gauge.
    Now the question is Do I drive it the 20 miles to my independent to get the Restricted power problem fixed?
    Registered 30-12-2003 Zircon blue, Whoosh XKR..... why not 1st of Jan 2004

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ibobt View Post
    Well, all the snow and driving rain have gone, so time to take a look at the handbrake lever, there was a stud button under the end that came apart easily so far so good.I pulled and tugged as much as I could without moving the damn thing, next idea to slit through the stitching on the bottom side again not able to remove.I did notice with all the pulling a throwing the car was rocking. So I started the old girl up and drove slowly off the drive and a few yards onto the flat road. I then put the car in neutral and gave it a push it rolled without much effort in both direction, however, in all fairness, it still has the handbrake warning message and red light on, on the gauge.
    Now the question is Do I drive it the 20 miles to my independent to get the Restricted power problem fixed?
    If the handbrake isn't actually braking the wheels, then I would quite happily drive it 20 miles to your independent and get him to fix it and take the risk that for the first time in your life you need the handbrake in an emergency.

6. Likes frankc liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've just experienced this problem. Found that the MOT man had pushed the button in whilst seemingly pulling on the plastic handle and moving it off the pressed metal shaft just by about 1/2 inch. The result was that you couldn't press the button in far enough before it hit the plastic sleeve. So I gripped the plastic sleeve hard and wiggled it further onto the shaft, and hey presto the button worked again and released the brake.
    2003 XK8 Coupe 4.2 V8 - Oh, to have a V8 back - Joy!
    1972,1981,1991 XJ6 4.2L
    1966 S type
    1965 Dailmer 2.5L V8 Warick Grey
    1962 MK II 2.5 manual with overdrive (faster than the MK VII 3.4)
    1957 MK VII 3.4 Manual

Post Thanks / Like
    Just been under mine with the indie the bracket in the middle had seized solid
    Registered 30-12-2003 Zircon blue, Whoosh XKR..... why not 1st of Jan 2004

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234