Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Charging and range concerns

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mclarenpaul View Post
    The local energy company came to do the check. Unfortunately, with the current installation I have, the maximum charge rate I could have is around 3.5kW. 3 phase is also standard here in Luxembourg. They've told me to request the electricity infrastructure provider to increase the amps from 40A to 50A which would then give me 7kw charging on a single phase by increasing one of the phases. I'm in the process of doing this, however, the electrician who advised me said it's not guaranteed this will be accepted.

Fingers crossed.
    The electrician also mentioned the car home charging is based on the UK system, which I believe is really short sighted from Jaguar and may be indicative of a rush to market. Again, as mentioned by others above, this will probably be changed in the car, but those of us at the bleeding edge will be the one's to suffer
    Last edited by mclarenpaul; 19-04-18 at 13:42.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by stefxx View Post
    7kW means 32A on a 240V outlet. Usually, there is a 25A or 32A single phase connection in The Netherlands. So even if 32A is available, there is nothing left for the rest of the house.

However, all houses built after 1990 are prepared for a 3x25A connection, and changing from 1x25A to 3x25A is relatively cheap. After 2011 this is even the default connection. So you could use 3x16A (11 Kw) without issues, or even more when using a load balancer. But it seems the I-Pace only accepts a single phase currently. This might change sometime in 2019, but I guess it won't be an easy or free upgrade....
    The total connected load in my house and in every other house anywhere in the world will be well in excess of the supply capacity. People rarely test the limits of their supply; it’s too expensive for one. A 7kw supply will not leave you short.

Having a 3 phase 25a supply is cheap? I’m tempted to think that’s because they’re hoping you’re going to use it, all of it! That will charge the car more quickly but there are problems ahead for you.

Lithium ion batteries do not like being charged quickly; the usable capacity reduces noticeably. All EVs sense what you are doing; if you heavily discharge and recharge the Battery Management System BMS on the car will restrict the rate at which you can charge. They do this to preserve their battery warrranty. Rapid charging can also lead to an unbalanced battery. The last 10 or 20% of a Li battery goes in very slowly and at very low power which is the opportunity to correct any imbalance and you just can’t do that at high speed. An unbalanced battery pulls the whole battery capacity down.

Just be careful what you wish for is what I’m saying.

The car will accept 50 or 100kw (not in uk) which is AC. Has Holland not got any roadside 50/100kw chargers?
    XKR MY2010, XK MY2006, S Type 2.7D, BMWs, Fords, Austins, MkX, Daimler SP250, Morris Minor Reg UFG23

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DouglasXKR View Post
    Lithium ion batteries do not like being charged quickly; the usable capacity reduces noticeably.
    There is some truth in that, but we have to understand what 'quickly' actually means.

As long as the charge rate is such that a theoretical 0-100% charge takes more than an hour then you are charging at less than 1C and that is not going to cause problems for the packs.

Even 3-phase home chargers are not going to be fast enough to cause problem.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_T View Post
    There is some truth in that, but we have to understand what 'quickly' actually means.

As long as the charge rate is such that a theoretical 0-100% charge takes more than an hour then you are charging at less than 1C and that is not going to cause problems for the packs.

Even 3-phase home chargers are not going to be fast enough to cause problem.
    Charging to 100% at 1C is impossible for several reasons and I’ll give you two. Firstly the final 10 -20% of capacity is charged at max voltage and ever reducing current until it reaches 0.1C which is the control limit at which charging stops and secondly, if you charge at 1C the voltage reaches maximum voltage very quickly, sometimes with less than 50% charge achieved, and unless you immediately control and reduce the current, charging stops.

The cell manufacturers specify the capacity as being the charge obtained at 25 Centigrade, a current of 0.2C with charging completed when the current reduces to 0.1C.

Generally, I’ll get less than 90% of rated capacity if I’m lucky and driving it hard - the voltage sag in these things is astonishing. Once a battery reaches its minimum voltage, pressing the battery further will ruin it rather the same as lead acid if you flatten it.
    XKR MY2010, XK MY2006, S Type 2.7D, BMWs, Fords, Austins, MkX, Daimler SP250, Morris Minor Reg UFG23

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12