Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: series 1 2.8

Post Thanks / Like
    I would imagine the 2.8 is very stained so fuel economy will be the same if not worse than the relatively relaxed 4.2.
    Unless specifically stated, my views are my own and do NOT represent any organisation i am a small part of.

If your in trouble, he will save the day
    he's brave and fearless, come what may
    without him the forum wouldn't have pictures of 1/2 naked women everwhere
    well who's this guy? i hear you ask
    there's only one to do the job
    he's the one and only "Henry_B"

Jaguar S type 3.0 SE + Many other projects.

Post Thanks / Like
    Unless specifically stated, my views are my own and do NOT represent any organisation i am a small part of.

Post Thanks / Like
    The 2.8 was based on the earlier 2.4 XK unit - neither were popular and UK production of the 2.8 ceased in 1972. Heavier pistons were introduced in 1970 to deal with the holed piston issue - but these had the effect of reducing performance further. Depending on compression ratio, the 2.8 torque output was between 162 ft/lbs and 182 ft/lbs., compared with the output of the 4.2 at 263 ft lbs and 283 ft/lbs (figures from Haynes) - both models weighed in at over 1.5 tons. The reason for the poor performance reputation of the 2.8 is clear.

GM

4. Likes stevesxj6 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Been to view this car yesterday, it looks to be in very nice condition the bodywork is excellent with only a very small àmount of rust showing around one headlight and i could find no filler anywhere with my trusty magnet.
    the engine sounds good with no smoke visable but and its a big but the oil pressure gauge wouldnt move above 20psi the feller said hed had this checked out at a garage and the gauge was faulty.is this a known fault?
    Also I had asked the seller not to start it but when i got there the car was running which i was a bit suspicious of, It had a manual choke which he said had come from a series 2? Is this a known mod?
    When I switched the fuel tanks over the gauge showed a different reading and the engine continued to run so am assuming all is ok there.
    the price advertised is £7800 but he did come down a lot from that.
    Not sure what to do now any thoughts on this.

6. Likes Henry_B liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    You could ask him to get the oil pressure gauge/sender fixed and then see it again (and start it from cold next time!)

Any more detail on the manual choke? From what I recall in the earlier pics (photos now taken down from e bay) the AED was completely missing and a straight link pipe fitted in its place.

GM

Post Thanks / Like
    If this is the car, it's listed at Barons for this weeks auction.

http://www.barons-auctions.com/aucti...id=34&cid=2260

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep thats the car.
    If it goes for around 5k I would buy it as bottom end rebuild would still keep it worth the money, it may only be the gauge though.
    I think the choke was a lash up as it was ticking over at about 12-13rpm at idle warmed up.

Post Thanks / Like
    1200 - 1300 rpm will give an uncomfortable jolt on engaging "D"! I think the book idle is IRO 650. I suspect the carbs need properly setting up.

I might go up and nose around on Friday for the viewing - but promise not to bid against you! There are a couple of cars that interest me.

Looking again at the engine bay pic it seems the choke mod comprises a cable to pull down the jet of the rear carb.

GM

11. Likes stevesxj6 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by stevesxj6 View Post
    Been to view this car yesterday, it looks to be in very nice condition the bodywork is excellent with only a very small àmount of rust showing around one headlight and i could find no filler anywhere with my trusty magnet.
    the engine sounds good with no smoke visable but and its a big but the oil pressure gauge wouldnt move above 20psi the feller said hed had this checked out at a garage and the gauge was faulty.is this a known fault?
    Also I had asked the seller not to start it but when i got there the car was running which i was a bit suspicious of, It had a manual choke which he said had come from a series 2? Is this a known mod?
    When I switched the fuel tanks over the gauge showed a different reading and the engine continued to run so am assuming all is ok there.
    the price advertised is £7800 but he did come down a lot from that.
    Not sure what to do now any thoughts on this.

I would be a tad suspicious that he ran it even though you said specifically to keep it cold..

If you view it again make sure it's cold next time it's started..

Post Thanks / Like
    Steve

I see it didn't sell at auction (guide £5,000 - £7,000). You may still get the Series 1 in a private deal for a figure within your budget if you are still interested?

GM

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123