Thread: iPlayer Radio - No Sound

Post Thanks / Like

iPlayer Radio - No Sound

Does anyone else have issues using iPlayer Radio through USB from an iPhone?
    Can get Apple Music to play OK, but for some reason iPlayer Radio does not.
    Put up with it for a while now but thought it might be useful to see if others were similarly afflicted!
    Am on ICT (i.e. not Pro) and the system was updated in January at the dealers during the service, but it did not work before and it does not work now. It displays on the ICT media screen and it would appear as if it is playing, just no sound.
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Double checked mine today and it works just fine. I normally use Bluetooth and a separate USB stick with MP3 music files, but I swapped to the iPhone and the Source list immediately offered it as an iPod. iPlayer Radio played immediately with the image showing on ICT, which is better than over Bluetooth streaming.

But for the fact that you say Apple Music plays correctly I would have suggested the possibility of it still trying to play over Bluetooth... but just in case, have you checked the output setting from inside the app?

PS iOS 11.3 on iPhone 8 - what are you using?

PPS really stupid question... I presume it produces sound when in the car if not plugged in?
    XF X260 in Switzerland

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks jbn
    Apologies for the delay but been away last week.
    Tried again this morning and the odd thing is it seems to work ok through the cable with streamed content, but not with downloaded content!!
    I am using a 6s with 11.3 and there was no option to change output settings away from USB.
    Ahh well, just have to burn up my data.

Post Thanks / Like
    Have you actually paired your iPhone for Bluetooth streaming, as you say that you do not have other connection options?
    XF X260 in Switzerland

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jbn View Post
    Have you actually paired your iPhone for Bluetooth streaming, as you say that you do not have other connection options?
    Have connection via Bluetooth, but when connected via USB the Bluetooth option is not there on media player Sources list. It was also not an output option in iPlayer Radio app.
    I have been using Bluetooth as a work around so I know that works OK, but then I can't charge the phone!
    I find there is quite an improvement in the music sound quality via USB too so prefer a hard connection over the convenience of BT.
    Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    I need to check if Bluetooth disappears when connected as iPod and get back to you. As far as charging goes, am I missing something obvious if I say why not just use a standard car charger instead of the built-in USB port? And while I am not sure about the sound quality, it's certainly true that the graphics do display in iPod mode and not via BT.
    XF X260 in Switzerland

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks - have a car charger too in the armrest cubby for passenger use, so can use that but then miss out the graphics and sound quality.
    This is not a biggie, just a minor annoyance! At least I can stream them through the cable and it is just pre-downloaded shows that are the issue.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sadly the BBC now operate geoblocking for downloads outside the UK, despite my best endeavours. So although I can verify with live streaming I have hit the buffers as far as trying to reproduce your results. Sorry about that - I could probably do something with a different radio app and source but that will not prove anything.

Someone elsewhere in the EU may be able to help you. Since the beginning of this month it is the law that paid services have to be accessible throughout the EU as if at home. But free to air service providers are not bound by this, plus Switzerland is not EU: alhough some service providers (mobile phone, broadcast etc) treat it as included, others do not.

(Before anyone suggests, thanks but I have tried with two different VPN services and smart DNS...)
    XF X260 in Switzerland

9. Thanks timf1234 thanked for this post