Thread: Buying an X-Type Diesel - High or Low Mileage and Realistic Budget????

Post Thanks / Like

Buying an X-Type Diesel - High or Low Mileage and Realistic Budget????

Hi, I'm a new member and looking forward to getting my first Jag in the very near future - actually over the next two weeks if at all possible. I am seeking an X-Type either 08 or 09 reg, diesel saloon, preferably an automatic 2.2 litre but a manual gearbox or a 2.0 litre might not be a deal breaker for the right car. The questions are.... what would you Jaguar experienced gentlemen and ladies recommend regarding mileage? And what would you consider to be a realistic budget?

What's the prevailing opinion? Go for low mileage (40-80K miles) or be confident that at 100+ miles the car still has another 100+ miles to give?

What are the major component 'end of life' milestones for the X-Type?

Secondly, budget. I have around £5,500 available that could be stretched by another £1K or so. What would be considered the best strategy - to buy cheaply (less than £3K) and then spend £2-3,000 on refurbishment and replacement of crucial components, or pay the premium for a car in concourse condition?.

I'm based in Leicester, so if anyone could recommend a dealer anywhere in a 100 mile radius who regularly handles good quality X-Types then I would be very grateful to hear about it.
    Last edited by OldNewbie; 06-04-18 at 13:58. Reason: Too verbose - as usual

Post Thanks / Like
    Usually the 4-cylinder diesels are not a problem, being Ford. Not the most smooth or quiet, but reasonably long-lived.

Biggest problem with all X-types is rusting of the sills at the rear. These lie behind what looks like the sills but are not, they're only plastic covers, so get ignored, and when spotted are usually so far gone that repair cost a mint with the car not being worth much, so off to the scrapman it goes. Best to get the youngest car you can, I reckon. £5500-6000 should get you a nice one. I wouldn't bother with a cheapo, as doing a load of work on it puts no value at all into the car. A 100k miles X-type is worth very little, frankly.
    Fleet manager (!!) of: -
    XJ6 Sovereign 2007
    VW New Beetle 2009
    MG Midget 1500 1977
    MG TF 135 2010

3. Thanks OldNewbie thanked for this post
    Likes OldNewbie liked this post