Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: F type fuel choice

  1. #1
    Senior Member Zippo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Stirling, Scotland
    Posts
    907
    Post Thanks / Like

    F type fuel choice

    Hey guys, first question from my parents with their new F type S AWD:

    They want to know if they should be using premium petrol. Is the engine able to vary it's timing based on octane?

    For context I am in the UK so standard fuel is 95 RON
    --
    2008 XF Portfolio 5.0 N/A - Blue

    Previously:
    2003 XJ 350 SE 3.0 - Black - 2017-2018
    2006 X-type 3.0 Sport Prem - Jag Racing Green - 2013-2017
    2001 X-type 2.5 SE - Black - 2010-2013
    51 Peugeot 406 1.8 SE - Green - 2008-2010
    97 Peugeot 206 1.4 Style - Red - 2007-2008

  2. #2
    Super Moderator Ian D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Hampshire
    Posts
    7,277
    Post Thanks / Like
    The car is designed to run perfectly fine on 95 RON, if you wish to use premium fuel a remap would be of benefit to take advantage with the higher octane. The premium fuels have additives to keep the internals clean, this is the only benefit you’ll get over standard fuel otherwise.
    Current Car:
    2017 XE R-Sport 25t 250Ps 18MY.

    Previous Cars:
    2000 S-Type 3.0L SE Auto
    2004 X-Type 3.0L AWD SE Auto estate.
    2007 XK x150 4.2L Coupe

    Resident Super Moderator.
    V6 X-Type Oil Sump Replacement Guide


  3. Likes Zippo liked this post
  4. #3
    Senior Member OzJagXFS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Adelaide South Australia
    Posts
    769
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yep, it's in the Owner's Handbook, minimum specified fuel is 95 RON.
    No problems at all using 98 or 100 RON (I use 100 because I have a tune and there is a servo handy to me which sells 100 cheaper than the others sell 95), but you definitely should not use anything lower than 95 RON. Here in Oz the "base" petrol is 91 RON, premium is 95 and "ultra premium" is 98.
    2014 F-Type S coupe, Lunar Grey, red seats and nearly all the options.
    The dearly departed - 2010 XFS and 2010 XFR.

  5. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Milford Haven, Pembrokeshire
    Posts
    203
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian D View Post
    The car is designed to run perfectly fine on 95 RON, if you wish to use premium fuel a remap would be of benefit to take advantage with the higher octane. The premium fuels have additives to keep the internals clean, this is the only benefit you’ll get over standard fuel otherwise.
    X Brand 95 RON will have the same useful additives as X Brand '100' or '98' RON.

    Y Brand has functionally the same additives as X Brand as they are required to meet current fuel standards.

    I put the '100' in quotes as it's the MON that is usually more important and some 100 RON grades have only marginally higher MON than the standard 95 RON, 85 MON.

    Beware some brands of '98' or '100' achieve the higher RON by adding ethanol.

    Reassure them that they should just use any brand 95RON/85MON British Standard fuel from any UK forecourt.

    My X358 s/c has drunk whatever supermarket fuel is currently cheapest for the last 196k miles.
    Son's pampered X150 XKR does the same.



    Unless your parents live in the South East of England where some of the big supermarket fuel is imported from the continent. Remember the Tesco silicone fiasco?

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_U..._contamination

    Then without detailed 'insider' knowledge it is more difficult to know where your fuel is coming from, but probably makes little real difference!
    X358 SV8 LWB in Ultimate Black, Limo Tint Rears, Takoba 9Jx20 alloys

  6. #5
    Senior Member Zippo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Stirling, Scotland
    Posts
    907
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cheers guys! Will pass on your info
    --
    2008 XF Portfolio 5.0 N/A - Blue

    Previously:
    2003 XJ 350 SE 3.0 - Black - 2017-2018
    2006 X-type 3.0 Sport Prem - Jag Racing Green - 2013-2017
    2001 X-type 2.5 SE - Black - 2010-2013
    51 Peugeot 406 1.8 SE - Green - 2008-2010
    97 Peugeot 206 1.4 Style - Red - 2007-2008

  7. #6
    Senior Member OzJagXFS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Adelaide South Australia
    Posts
    769
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rtcosic View Post
    X Brand 95 RON will have the same useful additives as X Brand '100' or '98' RON.

    Y Brand has functionally the same additives as X Brand as they are required to meet current fuel standards.

    I put the '100' in quotes as it's the MON that is usually more important and some 100 RON grades have only marginally higher MON than the standard 95 RON, 85 MON.

    Beware some brands of '98' or '100' achieve the higher RON by adding ethanol.

    Reassure them that they should just use any brand 95RON/85MON British Standard fuel from any UK forecourt.

    My X358 s/c has drunk whatever supermarket fuel is currently cheapest for the last 196k miles.
    Son's pampered X150 XKR does the same.



    Unless your parents live in the South East of England where some of the big supermarket fuel is imported from the continent. Remember the Tesco silicone fiasco?

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_U..._contamination

    Then without detailed 'insider' knowledge it is more difficult to know where your fuel is coming from, but probably makes little real difference!
    The 100 RON I use is "up to 5% ethanol" according to a sticker on the pump.
    I suspect it is "ordinary" 98 RON laced with 4% to 5% ethanol.
    I'm not a big fan of ethanol (the rationale for using it in car fuel outside of racing is bogus), but 5% or less isn't too bad and as I said it's cheaper for me than the 95 let alone 98 RON at other pumps and the car seems to like it.
    The Owner's Handbook says that the F-Type engine (both V6 and V8, not sure about the new I4) is designed to handle "up to 10% ethanol", and fuel with >10% ethanol should not be used.
    2014 F-Type S coupe, Lunar Grey, red seats and nearly all the options.
    The dearly departed - 2010 XFS and 2010 XFR.

  8. Likes Zippo liked this post
  9. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    1
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Zippo View Post
    Hey guys, first question from my parents with their new F type S AWD:

    They want to know if they should be using premium petrol. Is the engine able to vary it's timing based on octane?

    For context I am in the UK so standard fuel is 95 RON
    I have been using Shell V Power (98 Ron) which the F Type certainly likes ....... but have been running on Tesco Monument (99 Ron) for the last couple of months and although antidotal I think it has the edge. I do also use an additive with this this although to be honest you don't need to as there is one in in the fuel already just not up to V power but at about 10p a later less at the pump I am happy to add a bit extra myself

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •