Thread: Instructions on Parking Brake Adjustment?

Post Thanks / Like

Instructions on Parking Brake Adjustment?

Anyone know how to do it?

Mine seems to have no effect on anything.

Thanks -

Rocky

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Rocky

There are several adjustments that can be made. The handbrake cable and the brake shoes themselves.

I would suggest you start with the brakes shoes as this is in my opinion the easiest bit.

For this you will need to jack up the back of the car and remove the wheels and brake dust shields (if you have them), this will expose the brake disc and caliper. On the brake disk there will be a small hole. This is the hole you use to adjust the brake shoes operated by the hand brake. Rotate the disc until the hole is roughly at the 12 o'clock position. Once you've done this if you shine a light through the hole you should be able to see a cog (for want of a better word). Using a flat head screwdriver push the cog up or down will adjust the brake. Unfortunately, I can't advise on which way you need to do it off the top of my head but, keep turning the cog until it will not turn anymore. At this point your wheel with either be locked solid or free turning. If its locked solid this is good as you've adjusted the brake up, if not them you've adjusted the wrong way and will have to wind it back the other way instead.

Assuming you've got to this point (well done) you need to make sure the handbrake inside the car is not engaged. Once this check is done, gently undo the cog slightly so that the wheel will move when turned by hand. Once this can be done, repeat the procedure on the other side and the brakes have been adjusted.

Then test the adjustment by putting the handbrake on and check both wheels have locked solid. Take the hand brake off again and check that the wheels turn ok again. Don't worry if there is a slight binding, once the cars been driven a couple of times that will go away but if you are concerned you can just ease off the adjustment slightly. Then put your wheels back on and your done.

If you've done all of the above and it still doesn't seem to be that effective, it may be worth removing the disc brake and checking the condition of you brake shoes. It might the brakes themselves that are the problem. I found with my car that the brake shoes had delaminated and there was no material left on the shoes to brake the car.

Hope this helps and I haven’t confused you? I'm currently at work (slow day) but if you need some pictures let me know as the last time I did this I took loads!

Good luck
    Rob

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you, Rob -

I will work down your list.

Appreciate the detail!

Rocky

Post Thanks / Like
    thats presuming its an outboard brake facelift car, for HE ( pre 1992 ) and earlier, its a bit different as the brakes and parking brakes are ' inboard next to the diff

BB

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi BB

I believe its a 1995 Convertible as per Rocky previous posts but yes if that is not the case, this is only for 1993 onwards cars with rear outboard breaks.

Rob

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine seems to have no effect on anything.

Just as Rob says to adjust the shoes. If the cable is stretched there is an adjustment at the back of the handbrake lever (remove carpet over inner sill for access).

GM

Post Thanks / Like
    First.....The handbrake works different to any other car. You pull it up to apply and it then goes back down to the floor.
    1992 MY XJS Convertible

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, guys -

Appreciate the input.

It is a 95 4.0 liter with the outboard brakes.

I understand the handbrake function, when I pull up on the lever, the ratchet gives me 3-4 clicks, and then the handle will fall back down. I believe to release, you push in the button at the top. But there is absolutely no braking action.

The brake adjustment using the ratchet adjuster through the backing plate sounds like that of my '74 Toyota Land Cruiser. I will give it a look-see.

Thanks to all for the suggestions & advice.

Rocky