Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast

Thread: "Tibbles" - A history of a time to come.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 2woody View Post
    Merrell are really nice !
    Yep they are, been wearing the Chameleon Wrap Slams for years, even when they had an elasticated fastening system.

They arrived not long after my earlier post, bought on line at half price from a sports shop in the Lakes.

Would you believe in Alec Escolme's home town of Carnforth.

There's no shaking that guy and nearly every other car I see now is a BMW 6, since he bought his German play thing.
    Silentum Sicarius

Born 24 NOV 2005
    Super V8 LWB in Midnight Black with Ivory
    All options except Sunroof. Lambswool Overmats are MIA
    Longlife Exhaust - Rear Silencers Removed
    Nextbase Dashcam's Forward & Aft

My Showroom Thread

Watch this Space

You're a long time dead, Enjoy life whilst you have it!

Post Thanks / Like
    All this talk of Velcro and elastic....?

I'm just glad I've been busy this afternoon and unable to be subjected to it...
    Regards
    Chris Clark
    2007 XJ X358 Sovereign Diesel LWB

Previous... 1992 XJ40 Sovereign, 1994 XJ40 Sovereign, 2000 XJ Sovereign, 2000 Daimler V8, 2003 X350 Super V8, 2008 XJ X358 Sovereign Diesel

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C16RKC View Post
    All this talk of Velcro and elastic....?

I'm just glad I've been busy this afternoon and unable to be subjected to it...
    Busy doing what?

Calipers and discs by chance?

Silentum Sicarius

Born 24 NOV 2005

My Showroom Thread

Watch this Space

4. Likes C16RKC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashanti View Post

I'll be wearing the old ox blood Docs.

Looks like my little girl's taken your comments on board and developed them for herself?! I wondered what you were comparing notes about at Haydon Bridge

2003 Super V8 SWB

6. Likes C16RKC, Ashanti liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I just found this picture from a few weeks ago.

Just flicking thro' the gallery on my PC - the colours (another one of these sultry temptress pics) and shine stood out so I thought I'd share...

Mmmmmm. I do like this car.
    Driving it is really nice.
    Staring at it is really nice.
    Paying for its needs is, erm, er, well, er, worth it...definitely. Er.

2003 Super V8 SWB

8. Likes Jimbov8, C16RKC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Agree on all counts Simon.

Look after them and enjoy as only we in a Super V8 can

Gloat, gloat, gloat..................

You never thought of a dateless plate?

Only 7 months to crimbo and you know the family allus complain how hard we are to buy for.
    Silentum Sicarius

Born 24 NOV 2005

My Showroom Thread

Watch this Space

10. Likes Super350 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashanti View Post

You never thought of a dateless plate?

Only 7 months to crimbo and you know the family allus complain how hard we are to buy for.
    Cheers, Rich.

Please settle down with your tea & biscuits while I explain my approach to personalised number plates.... hope this ain't too waffly.

Re: Tibbles' plate.
    Most important to me is that the plate the car carries today actually (by co-incidence) has some kind of relevance for me & the family.
    The "SN5" is similar to my own initials (counting the "5" as an "S").
    The "TV" part brings to mind a previous car (Ford Capri mkII, Roman Bronze, STV594R) which was originally owned by my Grandad and which was later owned by various family members, with lots of associated happy memories.
    When discussing the purchase with Chris Clark, the number plate became almost a thing of fate saying "this car is the one for you." It's like getting a "personalised plate" for free.

Re: The workhorse's plate.
    You might have noticed that I'm a bit of a sentimental old goat, so the number plate shown on the photo of the Skoda was retained from the previous car I owned.
    Two reasons again: 1) that (original car) was the first car I ever bought brand new; 2) it was the car that brought my daughter home from hospital when she was born.
    My number plates mean nowt to anyone else, but I quite like that they mean something to me and the family anyway. I also like that the Skoda's plate caused any amount of confusion when I bought that (Mk2 black Octavia vRS) in 2010 and it was issued with the plate from the original 2002 car (black Mk1 Octavia vRS).
    Telephone call from Skoda dealer at first service "I'm sorry to disturb you with our concerns, but the last time we saw this car it had 110,000 miles showing, but it only has 10,000 now." "Check your computer," says I, "It's a different car..."

I quite like being a little "out of kilter".....

2003 Super V8 SWB

12. Likes C16RKC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Super350 View Post
    I just found this picture from a few weeks ago.

Just flicking thro' the gallery on my PC - the colours (another one of these sultry temptress pics) and shine stood out so I thought I'd share...

Mmmmmm. I do like this car.
    Driving it is really nice.
    Staring at it is really nice.
    Paying for its needs is, erm, er, well, er, worth it...definitely. Er.

Super picture, very moody. The wire and the pole grated on me a bit so I had to remove them, hope you don't mind.

upload image free

Cheers.....................................IP
    2006 3.0Ltr. S type ..... Radiance Red Metallic, Chrome grille complete with Red and Black S Type Growler badge, fully loaded.
    Hands free smartphone connected successfully thanks to members of the forum!

14. Thanks Super350, C16RKC thanked for this post
    Likes Super350, C16RKC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The latest Tibbles day out - Holy Island

Found myself with a "glorious weather" day and a rare bit of time.

Tide timetables said that safe crossing from mainland to Holy Island ended at 13:15 - just enough time to get there

Well, why not take the Super V8 for a run to see if some photos could be acquired.

Very pleasant cruise up the A1, leaving the heavy traffic of Newcastle behind quite soon.

Arrived at Holy Island with time to spare and nipped over the causeway for a quick pic or two.
    The castle is completely shrouded at the moment for refurbishment

Bit of scenery before leaving the island

On the way back over the causeway, I thought I'd chance a pic in the sand. Driving off carefully so as not to coat the underside with salt laden sand.

Parked up to watch the tide come in, and enjoy a little treat.

I thought I'd try a bit of twitching:
    A heron was taking advantage of the incoming flow to pick up his lunch, and do a bit of posing..

But...
    Holy Island causeway demands respect.
    The tide comes in so fast and it is easy to become stranded.....
    These pictures are close up, but show the progress of the tide in very short time - make this a bigger scale and it becomes extremely easy to give yourself a problem. Notice the green stone and the "beachhead" of the minor wetness in the foreground.

Here we are 30 seconds later - the green stone is surrounded...

I was enjoying watching the flow of the tide under the causeway (very fast, like a stream flowing). I looked to the left and saw this.

Tibbles, in the distance, remained dry throughout (I deliberately parked her on a raised bit and don't want to immerse her in salt water any time soon).
    But THAT is time to go now. By the time I walked briskly from the position of the photo above to the point where the tide was encroaching, it had completely covered the road and I paddled through the water to go to the car.
    An hour later, Tibbles' parking place looked like this (notice the yellow "Danger Do Not Proceed" warning sign)

I moved on to "The Barn at Beal" for a very acceptable cream tea and coffee, then had a mooch back down the road to see how Canute vs Neptune was getting on. I reckon Neptune won, without needing the "away goal" rule. If you look carefully, you will see the yellow warning sign, beside which Tibbles was parked. This was one hour later than the shot above and 2 hours later than the car was parked, with the others, in front of the yellow sign.
    It's not cool to play with the tide times at Holy Island

On the way back, I dropped in to Stratstone Newcastle to order some JRG touch up paint. Always good to have some in stock.
    Was struck by how "old fashioned" Tibbles looked amongst the XFs, new XJs et al.
    I had a wander round as you do, and admired the interiors of the new cars - truly beautiful. But the exterior lines didn't quite inspire me in the same way. I was also pleased to see the occasional glance from customers in the direction of the X350 (the only one on site of course). Sorry to say, but I'm not inspired to change just yet.

Happy wafting to all!
    2003 Super V8 SWB

16. Likes Daverichardson liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Irish Pappy View Post
    Super picture, very moody. The wire and the pole grated on me a bit so I had to remove them, hope you don't mind.
    Not a problem for me; thanks for putting in the effort!
    All the best
    Simon
    2003 Super V8 SWB

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast