Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cambelts and second hand cars

Post Thanks / Like

Cambelts and second hand cars

I am really annoyed that so many adverts for s/h cars say nothing about the cambelt (for engines which have one, we know Jags and other quality marques tend to use chains). When you query, either they don't know, which means I wouldn't go near it, or they fob you off. I'm looking for something a bit different in addition to the Jag, and I don't think I would be up to doing a cambelt myself, as access is usually ridiculously tight. I had one wassock going on about it "drives lovely" and has service history (yeah to 45K and its now done 115K) and it had its cambelt done at 45K (so its 10K overdue). Of course they want to flog you a car with a dodgy about-to-snap cambelt, and their rubbish warranties won't cover it (big con). I guess many owners trade their car in when its due because they don't want the cost, and dealers won't do it either because they won't make as much profit, and its out of sight, out of mind. Trading Standards should clamp down on it, or Which. The former have been reduced drastically by HMG, who presumably don't want to "hurt" business, so dump it on the consumer. There is a list of cars with cam chains on "honest john" but it does not appear to be exhaustive. Modern cars are unnecessarily complex, and in many terms about as innovative as pedal cycles, while being far too heavy, and filled with electronic nonsense for children. Why, for one, would you want wi-fi in a car? A DVD player? Television reception? Grrrr.
    Previous 1: Silver 2.5 Auto SE grey leather interior
    Previous 2: Topaz (Pale Gold) 3.0 Auto SE with cream leather
    Current: Gunmetal 2.5 Auto SE with black leather interior 17in wheels heated seats private plate (tasty!)
    Motorcycle: Aprilia RST 1000 V twin sports tourer

Post Thanks / Like
    There are genuine cars as well as genuine sellers out there Doc, it's just a matter of finding them!

Second hand car purchase can be a minefield but it's certainly not worth getting worked up about it.

Keep calm and carry on looking, it may take some time, don't be rushed ... and good luck.
    2005 (55) X-type 2.0d S saloon ~ Zircon/Champagne/Belize.

Post Thanks / Like
    And look out for any cars that have had their DPFs removed (Diesel Particulate Filter). New MoT test will check that any diesels originally fitted with a DPF must still have it or provide proof that it has been cleaned and replaced or replaced with a new one - or it will fail. I wonder how many owners will try to flog off those cars and deny all knowledge of having tampered with it.
    "I know I'm a pessimist because my glass is always half empty...even when it's full".

2009 X-Type 2.2D Sovereign - Indigo Blue with Ivory Leather

Post Thanks / Like
    Well cambelt change for mine is £625 after 10 years on my mileage. About the same price as a set of tyres for it, so not a big issue methinks lol!
    64 Plate RSport 3.0D All Black, Ceramic coated, self healing front car wrap, 19" alloys

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Poundy View Post
    Well cambelt change for mine is £625 after 10 years on my mileage. About the same price as a set of tyres for it, so not a big issue methinks lol!
    I'd call that a big issue on a ten year old car!

These MoT changes have missed a trick in this. I notice their new catergories of defects. Surely if a cambelt is about to snap, it is dangerous. If you are doing 70 on a motorway in heavy traffic, your belt goes, and your engine seizes its quite likely to be curtains. This country is still run for the benefit of profiteers using the Victorian model.
    Current: Gunmetal 2.5 Auto SE with black leather interior 17in wheels heated seats private plate (tasty!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DrFutura View Post
    I'd call that a big issue on a ten year old car!

These MoT changes have missed a trick in this. I notice their new catergories of defects. Surely if a cambelt is about to snap, it is dangerous. If you are doing 70 on a motorway in heavy traffic, your belt goes, and your engine seizes its quite likely to be curtains. This country is still run for the benefit of profiteers using the Victorian model.
    It is not an issue because that is when Jaguar recommend it be serviced, @ 10yr or about 115k I believe. I am sure they would recommend it earlier than later to be on the safe side. I don't think from a service cost price it is a great expense £625.

Of course we have the option to see what service records are supplied with the car before purchase. If the cambelt is important to you and it hasn't been done you have the option of negotiating a new price accordingly or looking for a car with better service history. I would go with the latter but to each his own, buyer beware and all that lol!
    64 Plate RSport 3.0D All Black, Ceramic coated, self healing front car wrap, 19" alloys

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Poundy View Post
    It is not an issue because that is when Jaguar recommend it be serviced, @ 10yr or about 115k I believe. I am sure they would recommend it earlier than later to be on the safe side. I don't think from a service cost price it is a great expense £625.

Of course we have the option to see what service records are supplied with the car before purchase. If the cambelt is important to you and it hasn't been done you have the option of negotiating a new price accordingly or looking for a car with better service history. I would go with the latter but to each his own, buyer beware and all that lol!
    Just try negotiating it. And how do you know they will actually do it? Most secondhand car dealers rank in the trust stakes below politicians and estate agents.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DrFutura View Post
    Just try negotiating it. And how do you know they will actually do it? Most secondhand car dealers rank in the trust stakes below politicians and estate agents.

I refer the honourable gentleman to the comments I made a few days ago in my post #2.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rowley I'm convinced you're on laid-back substances

Unnaturally calm about so many things, it can't be without assistance

I want some!

Even your writing is droopy sleepy! Heheheh...

My next car will probably only cost a cambelt change plus a gearbox sump filter and fluid change!

I'm looking at another Merc E320 CDi, 2004... No DPF, diesel, 3.2 litre, 6 cylinder, £1,200.

I also spotted a 2.0-litre X Type, diesel, 2006. Excellent mileage, 36 to 60mpg. Do those have a DPF?

Last edited by Jim_S-V6_2004; 17-05-18 at 03:50.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim_S-V6_2004 View Post
    Rowley I'm convinced you're on laid-back substances

Unnaturally calm about so many things, it can't be without assistance

I want some!
    It's a state of mind fella, perfectly natural and something anybody can achieve with a bit of effort, I thoroughly recommend it, most especially for those in 'later life'.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim_S-V6_2004 View Post

I also spotted a 2.0-litre X Type, diesel, 2006. Excellent mileage, 36 to 60mpg. Do those have a DPF?
    No, I don't think any 2.0 diesels have the dreaded DPF.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast