Hello and Welcome to Jaguar Froum Register
if this is your first visit, please click the register button to join the worlds #1 jaguar forum!
    Post Thanks / Like

xj8 4.2 parking sensors

Hi, I got my 4th Jaguar, a 53 plate xj8 4.2 sport back in June. Until now I've not even had time to post on here for some help..............here goes!

My car has front and rear parking sensors, but these are not working at the moment due to an unknown fault.
    Much searching has been done on this forum and one other, but without result.

When I engage drive or reverse I get the warning tone which I believe warns me that the sensors have a fault - I have listened at all 8 sensors and all are ticking, and indeed giving off a mild pulse, so I assume all are working - the fault must therefore be somewhere else in the system?

Any suggestions would be most welcome, thanks.
    2006 x150 XK 4.2, Midnight Black, Burr walnut, Ivory leather, 19" Carelia Alloys
    Previous Jaguars - 2003 x350 xj 4.2 sport (green with ivory leather), 2001 x-type 3.0 sport (black with red leather), 1998 x308 xj 3.2 (topaz gold with ivory leather), 1995 x300 xj 3.2 sport (pacific blue with grey half leather)

Post Thanks / Like

Re: xj8 4.2 parking sensors

Hi Geoff,

I am struggling with this fault also-you'r not the only one! I get a continuous tone when I select reverse and have therefore pulled the fuse on the sensor circuit, however when I select reverse with ign. position 2 I cannot hear any clicking from the sensors and assume that the fault is further back.The parking aid module is located on the LH side of the spare wheel bay.(I only have rear PDC)

I have studied the wireig diag. and am familiar with the circuitry and when I get my car( it's on the high seas between UK and Oz) I think I will remove the module and look at the pcb and components using a magnifing glass and look for signs of burning, shorting or bad connection. The other thing one can do is look for signs of corrosion on contacts. Good luck.

Bob

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Bob- keep me posted please.

Geoff
    2006 x150 XK 4.2, Midnight Black, Burr walnut, Ivory leather, 19" Carelia Alloys
    Previous Jaguars - 2003 x350 xj 4.2 sport (green with ivory leather), 2001 x-type 3.0 sport (black with red leather), 1998 x308 xj 3.2 (topaz gold with ivory leather), 1995 x300 xj 3.2 sport (pacific blue with grey half leather)

Post Thanks / Like

I had the same problem on my previous 04 plate 3 litre. The warning and non-operation was driving me mad. Solved by replacing one of the sensors which was faulty. It took my garage about an hour and a half to find the one to change - the bumper had to come off and each sensor tested electronically for its output. No easier way of telling I believe.

Best regards Mike
    Late 2007 XJ Executive
    A Geordie living in Essex

Post Thanks / Like

Mike I think there are 2 ways to tell, one is by moving an object infront of the sensor and the other is to listen beside the sensor for a clicking noise when an object is detected?????
    BuckMR2

07 XJ LWB Sovereign TDVi, 141k,
    X358 Grille, Modified Torque Convertor,
    DECARB'ED, Mina Stainless Bpr Grill,
    Redstuff Ceramics, 20" Callistos,
    Rear Entertainment , 2012 Nav
    DPF removed, EGRs deleted,
    Methanol injection..being finished as you read this.
    kitchen sink...
    12 Reg Qashqai+2 Teckna 2.0 TD Auto best bar none (for sale in General Items for sale)

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,
    I found a little bit of touching up had been done to the rear bumper of my car while washing it the other week. This led me to believe that although my sensors all tick when expected, I thought I may have a fault in the one where the touching up had been done. Replaced it with a new one and................................it's still the same!!

Put the original one back in, and am no further forward.

Front sensors tick when in "DRIVE", rears tick when in "REVERSE".

I've looked in the boot, in the wheel well, and the wiring to the thingy seems ok, and is all dry.

The sound for the error comes from the front, behind the dash somewhere, although I believe from what I've read, that the speaker for at least the rear parking sensors is in the parcel shelf.

Is this the same two Alpine speakers for the stereo sound?

The stereo, fader set to rear, I can't seem to hear any sound from the rear shelf in the rear, only the speakers in the door panels and handle recesses. I've dropped the panel below the shelf in the boot, and can see the speaker bottoms, there is vibration here, but there is all through the car when the stereo is blasting! I would expect to clearly here sound from the speakers in this way, but I don't.

Any suggestions?
    I cant see the wiring going to the speakers, and think I need to get the shelf out to access this wiring. Is this correct?

If so, how does it come out - I can't see any fixings underneath.

Thanks in anticipation of a speedy reply

Post Thanks / Like

The parking aid speaker is a small speaker which sits inbetween the 2 subs.
    It is on the shelfs upper surface and held in place by 2 plastic expanding rivets (you may see the end of them underneath if its like the X type?)
    To access the speaker is a bit of a faff as you have to remove the rear seat backrest,then the 2 C Pillar trims (airbags behind these),detach the centre seatbelt before being able to remove the shelf to reveal the speaker which is only about an inch or so in diameter.
    These buzzers come up on ebay for around £5 now and again
    Got mine from there when I upgraded my X Type to reverse PDC which looks the same from the JTIS image
    BuckMR2

07 XJ LWB Sovereign TDVi, 141k,
    X358 Grille, Modified Torque Convertor,
    DECARB'ED, Mina Stainless Bpr Grill,
    Redstuff Ceramics, 20" Callistos,
    Rear Entertainment , 2012 Nav
    DPF removed, EGRs deleted,
    Methanol injection..being finished as you read this.
    kitchen sink...
    12 Reg Qashqai+2 Teckna 2.0 TD Auto best bar none (for sale in General Items for sale)