Jaguar Forum banner

Oil burining, smoke in oil filler

2K views 4 replies 1 participant last post by  geoff_bennett 
#1 ·
Hi All,

Apologies if this has been answered before, but couldn't find it in a search - most about smoke from exhaust of various colours.

I bought my 2005 2.0d estate with 60k on the clock from main dealer about 4 months ago. Very happy so far, but yesterday I noticed a burning smell when idling & putting the kid in the back - thought it was another car driving past, but same smell was there when I arrived at friends up the road. Opened the oil filler cap and was a fair bit of smoke in there with the same smell.

Didn't smell it again outside the car on the return journey (but still smoke when opening the filler cap). Checked the oil levels this morning and it is between the markers, albeit towards the lower level.

I've never owned a diesel before so not sure if this is normal. No smoke I can see coming out of the back of any colour and had full service when I bought it. Difficult to tell if there is a patch from where it was parked this week as many cars use this street, but no pressure warning light on yet.

G
#2 ·
Hi Geoff
Some light wispy smoke from the oil filler is normal if the engine is hot - anything other than that I'd be worried
If you're worried about possible oil leaks - try putting a cardboard sheet under your car overnight - you'll soon see any drip marks if there are any.
The burning smell is not normal so have a good ferret around for the cause, check the hose from the intercooler to EGR (see this topic http://www.jaguarforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=35461), the manifolds and exhaust for any obvious leakage as it sounds like either exhaust escape or something dripping onto hot components. It could feasibly be electrical - you need to look and sniff carefully.
Finally, it might even be the nasty old EGR as they do get clogged up with crud from the exhaust system - it is a simple but dirty job to clean it as you will see from the link above, (if nothing else you will notice a differnce in how she drives after cleaning and have a chance for a good look around under the engine cover).
Oh one other thing
had full service when I bought it
You will soon learn that means many different things to many different people - do not take it as a sign of quality assurance :roll:
HTH
Jim

#3 ·
Thanks Jim,

I saw that topic on EGR last night which I think I could do possibly do - I assume service wouldn't include this (was done at Merrits Amesham Jag) even though it seems fairly common :roll: I was a bit annoyed that they don't give you a summary of what was done during the services, even though has full service history at this dealership
There is no turbo on this model though - is that what the intercooler outlet is a reference too?

Smoke was only when warmed and only visible when I opened the filler. I'll have another dig around for the smell, but what I got from walking round the back of the car was same from inside oil filler when I opened it. Gave it some revs today after warming up, and there was some black particulars out of the exhaust but no blue smoke.

I have to take family to France next week and drive is around 700k each way. Would rather not take the EGR off if I can help it in case I can't get it back on correctly. I'm fairly handy, but mainly with computer applications!

Cheers gb

G
#4 ·
Hi Geoff
geoff_bennett said:
Thanks Jim,

I saw that topic on EGR last night which I think I could do possibly do - I assume service wouldn't include this
You are correct they only look at this when the EML comes on and error codes point to it

There is no turbo on this model though - is that what the intercooler outlet is a reference too?
The intercooler pipe (pic in my notes) runs from the left hand (as you stand at front of car) of the radiator up to connect with the bottom of the EGR which in turn connects to the exhaust and the inlet manifold - all of these are prone to getting coked up as you should have seen already from the links & pics provided.

Smoke was only when warmed and only visible when I opened the filler. I'll have another dig around for the smell, but what I got from walking round the back of the car was same from inside oil filler when I opened it. Gave it some revs today after warming up, and there was some black particulars out of the exhaust but no blue smoke.
Would'nt be too worried about that then the engine will need to vent some trapped gasses (smoke) from its normal combustion cycle - just try and source the smell you describe for peace of mind.

I have to take family to France next week and drive is around 700k each way. Would rather not take the EGR off if I can help it in case I can't get it back on correctly. I'm fairly handy, but mainly with computer applications!
You should not have any difficulty doing the EGR if you have a decent set of spanners and a socket set - whether or not to do it is your call I'm afraid :?
Some on here would say leave well alone until it becomes a problem.
HTH
JIm

#5 ·
Thanks Jim,

If I can see that there's no leak from the engine bay I think I'll and look at checking the EGR when we get back. From reading that AA document from the ERG thread on diesel particulants, it might be that mainly weekend London driving at low revs is not what car has been used to prior to me having it. A good shift on the French motorways might be just what it needs.

Cheers gb

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.